• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gte901m
    350 Buick
    • Jun 24, 2007

Power steering pump rebuild

Is it possible to rebuild one? If I fill my power steering system up with fluid, it runs out within about 2 days. There is so much crud on everything, I can't tell where it is coming from. I suspect it is the coming from the front seal on the pump shaft. This afternoon I pulled the pump, lines, and brackets off the motor. I cleaned them up with intentions of putting them back on so I could see where the leak was coming from; however, while its apart I might as well rebuild the pump. Is it possible? After I pulled the pulley off, I couldn't figure out how to get it apart.
    Last edited by gte901m; 10-20-2007, 04:12 PM.
    Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
  • flatbackdragon
    304 AMC
    • Aug 22, 2003

41.50 for the pump w/o res at NAPA
    or if you want to do it yourself...
    "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
    Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
    Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• gte901m
      350 Buick
      • Jun 24, 2007

Thanks,

For 40 bucks, its probably just easier to buy a reman one from napa. I'll think about it tonight. I appreciate the instrucitons - I saved a copy - just in case.
      Where are we going and why am I in this basket?

Comment

• Jeepadilly
        258 I6
        • Jan 30, 2003

It is a fairly easy rebuild and the kit is about 14 dollars as I recall. The bi**h is getting the pulley off. But unless you really get off on doin it yerself....get a rebuilt!!!!
        Bear ( A big beautiful '88 GW )
        If you stand with one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you just might wiz all over today!!

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

It's most likely just the seals, not the pump itself. If your steering is good, get a seal kit and replace the seals. No need to remove the pulley to do that. It's quite easy to do.

Even replacing the entire pump is easy to do. Most places will loan the pulley puller/installer tool. I simply bought one @ HF. When I had two FSJ's, I knew I'd use it. <g>
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
          X