• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roundss
    232 I6
    • Sep 01, 2010

power steering pump & belt question

I have a 88 GW, with AMC 360, & A/C, it has the power steering belt routed around the crank, water pump, and power steering pump. I have gotten rid of the smog pump so that's no there. With my "custom" setup I need to move the power steering belt in order to get the lower rad hose to the radiator. It's not the stock rad so where the hose comes in is quite a bit closer and not angled like the stock rad

not much room between crank and water pump pulleys

Here's what I was thinking. Take off the water pump pulley, slide a shorter v-belt around the pulley and bolt it back on. It the routes it up and out of the way since it's not going around the crank.

My only concern is that I tax my water pump or ps pump. I don't think it will but since I don't know I will defer to FSJ brain trust. If there's any other words of wisdom or pitfalls of this setup please let me know.

Thanks
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

I'd take the radiator to a radiator shop and have them move the outlet over. Or they can fit an angled outlet. Not expensive, typically.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• cajun_lad
      350 Buick
      • Feb 17, 2006

Find a stock radiator. Problem solved. I wouldn't rely on the water pump to drive your power steering pump. All accessories should be driven off the prime mover (crank pulley).
      Joey
      Jeep-Less

Comment

• roundss
        232 I6
        • Sep 01, 2010

Originally posted by cajun_lad
        Find a stock radiator. Problem solved. I wouldn't rely on the water pump to drive your power steering pump. All accessories should be driven off the prime mover (crank pulley).
        Stock radiator doesn't fit. It's size is actually the problem. I had a down flow custom made to fit inside the grill of this.

Copy that on the prime mover. I thought since there were 2 belts going from the crank to the water pump I could get away with it.

Originally posted by tgreese
        Or they can fit an angled outlet. Not expensive, typically.
        I'll just have them put an angle in like the stocker had..............that I should have noticed

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
        X