International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Other

Old 04-03-2002, 09:50 AM
258 I6

Ok, this one has come up a bunch. I see it all the time and the question does not have one definite answer, although some are morer badder than others. [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, do you like skinny rims or fat rims? If you're running 31x10.5s, are you the guys that chooses:

a) 15x7
b) 15x8
c) 15x10
d) what's a rim? [img]smile.gif[/img]

How about 33x12.5s, or 35x12.5s? What's your choice here? Why?
Old 04-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Grease Monkey

i have 33 -12.5-15 a/t runing on 8.5 rims i whould like to have 10 inch rims make them look wider and biger
http://citaris.digicentro.com/vallehermosense/mula.jpg<br /><br />76 chero chief wt<br />360<br />TFI<br />holley blue fuel pump<br />Holley Truck Avanger <br />edelblock intake <br />SOA<br />chopt top<br />rino lining
Old 04-03-2002, 01:37 PM

I'm going with the same size tire (31x1050) on some 15x8 Chevy Blazer rally wheels. Put them on the hub (no tires yet) and the fit nice. Personally, I think that 10" rims make the 1050 bow out to much, but thats just me.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Jeep Doctor

I'd second the 15"x8", though a 15"x7" tire would be a good second choice.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:52 PM
258 I6

I like my tires on skinny rims. It tends to get the sidewalls to bow out a little and give some protection to the rim.

I currently run 31x10.5s on 15x7s and 33x12.5 and 35x12.5 on 15x8 rims.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Geriatric Doctor of FSJs

Cool

JohnnyJ......Mine, in the SIG, are BFG 31x10.5x15" AT on 15x8" and a backspace of 3.5"...Why?? They stuff into the wheel wells OK and good 'nuff and tuff 'nuff for my kind of trails I like to do......... ...ds..
Old 04-03-2002, 03:28 PM
360 AMC

Personally, I prefer to read the spec for the tires and shoot for the middle.

For example, most 31x10.50's are supposed to go on a 7-9" wide rim while a 33x12.50 is supposed to go on an 8-10" rim. For the former, I'd choose a 15x8. For the latter, a 15x9 (if I could find it...)

If I can't hit the middle, I'll opt for narrower rims to let the sidewall protect them a little better.

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:21 AM
Master Mechanic

My own personal opinion is for a 31x10.5 use a 7 inch wheel. This will actuall make it look taller and not affect you tread width. I am running a 33x12.5 on a 10" rim and don't reall like the look but that is my opinion!! If you like the really wide look I have a set of 15x10 black rockcrawlers for sale!!
Old 04-06-2002, 12:10 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I'd say run as narrow rim as is realistically possible. The narrow rim will help the bead stay seated when aired down in hairball terrain. The drawback to this is that the tire will tend to wear more in the center than the edges. If you drive more on the street, a wider rim makes sense, because it will put a more even tire patch on the pavement, and wear better.
I've talked to alot of guys who run 44x18.5x15 tires on a 15x10 rim and like it. Usually its the guys trying to sell me new rims saying it will never work. The guy I got my 44's from had them on 15x10 steelies, and that's what I plan to be using.
If those big tires are OK for 15x10, I can't see why you'd ever need a wider rim than that.
<a href=\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/kookykrispy/2js.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.lycos.co.uk/kookykrispy/2js.JPG</a><br /><a href=\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/kookykrispy/driveoncar.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.lycos.co.uk/kookykrispy/driveoncar.JPG</a>
Old 04-06-2002, 12:19 PM
FSJ Executioner

i have 31/10.50's on the stock jeep rims which are eight inch rims. i also heve 33/12.50's on 10 inch rim. the only thing i like with the big rims is that they can have weights on the inside of the tire. the stock rims hit the tierod with the wheel weights.
1986 f350 6.9 diesel hp60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 36x12.5 military wranglers. TOY!
NO JEEP
I am ready to meet my Maker. Wether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter
Old 04-07-2002, 03:40 AM
360 AMC

Smile

I prefer the narrower wheel for the same reason Joe J-Truck mentioned. The tire bead stays seated better when pressuring down. The 10.5" width on a 7" stock wheel, a 12.5" width on an 8" wheel, etc are practical choices if you plan to pressure down when off-roading. If you stay on the pavement or did only mild off-roading, a wider wheel would be adequate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2002, 10:58 AM
Jerk

B) 15x 8s, I have 16x8s and 12x33 on my truck and the tire looks wrong! any tire store will tell you you need your whheels to be at least within 3" of tire width....yeah, right. so why do people run 11.50x32s on 6" wheels? I think the tire store guys say this so the tire doesnt deflect as much sideways when cornereing hard.
D) Rim = edge or outside of wheel. Not the center or "spokes". people interchange these terms like "flex plate" and "fly wheel". not technically correct, but most people understand. If you order a new "fly wheel" for your amc 360 with a th400 tranny, you will be dissapointed at the results, the reverse is true too.
extra point question- 33x12.50, 35s wont fit unless I cut or lift- yuck! -Matt

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Matt W ]</p>
Old 04-07-2002, 02:50 PM
360 AMC

Actually it was a reputable tire store manager that first convinced me to go with the narrower wheel. Since then I've wheeled with others incl professionals who have backed it up. I haven't yet slipped off the bead (knock on woodgrain) and I've run as low as 13 psi.

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: gwinn ]</p>

Old 04-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Jerk

thank God, an honest sales person. up here, they just wanna sell wide expensive wheels to go with their wide expensive tires you wanna buy....
More $ in their pocket , less in yours .
Old 04-11-2002, 04:05 AM
Traveler

I have my 33 X 9.50's on 15 X 7 wheels. They work well, look good and I can air them down to 7-8 PSI.
They're really into ripping you off over here Matt, so I buy my tires and wheels in SLC.
41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick
Old 04-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Grease Monkey

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JohnnyJ:
So, do you like skinny rims or fat rims? If you're running 31x10.5s, are you the guys that chooses:

a) 15x7
b) 15x8
c) 15x10
d) what's a rim? [img]smile.gif[/img]

How about 33x12.5s, or 35x12.5s? What's your choice here? Why?
<hr></blockquote>

I'm running 15x10's with 32x11.50's. Thay came with my parts Jeep, and the originals on my Laredo were ragged out. Compare for yourself:

Old Tires vs. New Tires

So far I'm not rubbing, but I'm thinking I need add-a-leafs. I'm not planning on any rock crawling; mostly mud and sand. Beside, the look reminds me of the Tonka toys of my youth.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the wider rims dropping the bead sooner than the narrow rims? I'm planning to air down to 15-20 psi at the beach this summer. I've done it a bunch on the wife's Outback, but that has narrow rims.

Frank

[ April 12, 2002: Message edited by: FSFrank ]</p>
<b>FrankenJeep</b> ... Jeep_SJ@yahoo.com<br /><br /><b>1983 Cherokee Laredo \"<i>FrankenJeep</i>\"</b> <br />AMC 360, TorqueFlite 727, NP208, AMC 20 Rear, Dana 44 Vacuum Front, BFG 32x11.50 AT, GPS<br /><b>1979 Cherokee Chief \"<i>The Organ Donor</i>\"</b><br /><b>1983 Moto Guzzi LeMans III \"<i>The Mistress</i>\"</b>
Old 04-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Gear Head

Since your question spoke of 31x10.50's I assume that's what you're going to run. Here's some things you might want to consider.

Someone once said that being "smart" had nothing to do with getting the right answers, it had EVERYTHING to do with asking the right questions, after that the answers were easy......

So... first question, What is it you're planning to do? Rocks? Sand? Highway? dirt? Slow and sure? Fast and speedy? Real Fast and Reckless? or Full house mud boggin?

Once you answer that then consider that all rims are NOT created equal. Either as to size or backspace. Generally if you stick to stock AMC wheels, 7 or 8 you'll be ok. From all the comments perhaps you aren't planning that, in that case BE SURE YOU MOUNT a prospective wheel/tire combo up and have the shop try it on ALL spindles to see how it fits, If necessary go out to the curb and do a little angulation test and see what fits and what doesn't. There are lots of forms out there that calculate rim/tire size and clearance and that's fine except that 1. Not all rims are the same nor are all similarly sized tires the same, you have a choice, you can drive "Offroad Magazine" or FourWheeler, or you can drive your jeep [img]smile.gif[/img] Take your pick. I'd suggest trying the combo FOR REAL as described above.

Ok, back to questions, Very few similarly sized tires are designed to ride, mount, 'sit' the same way. Differences in construction and intent of use will determine what size rim is 'best' in light of your intended use which you've already decided as above. IN GENERAL!-
1. Tall/Thin is better in mud/snow than wide, ESPECIALLY WITH LOCKED AXLES! I've seen guys on mountain off camber snow covered trails, stop, get out lean against their truck which promptly begins that achingly slow sidewise migration towards whatever gravity has in store for your side panels. WIDE EQUALS SNOWBOARD in the snow. which could be a GOOD THING if you're thinking about running on top (on the other hand, you have a FSJ which is unlikely to 'run on top' of anything very long before sinking like a stone)

You will have the same experience in mud, gravity will determine which way you go on cambered trails.

Wide is also a mileage killer on the highway. The difference in rolling and wind resistance is AMAZING.

If you're in the rocks, well tall is more important than wide imho. Here you want something that will get you clearance and that you're power steering will be able to turn without blowing up.
WIDE EQUALS WEIGHT,

As you can see, I'm a bit negative on wide for anything other than deep loose sand, and a good narrow that can air down properly can solve a lot of that problem too without all the WIDE negatives.

Need to shorten this up, so imho bottom line, as tall as 9.50 in at least a c but preferably a d or e radial that you can stuff in your wheelwells will get it done better in almost everything but deep sand, with more tire to body clearance and more ground clearance with less wind and rolling resistance than the monster wide stuff you see crawling all over the trails and breaking ujoints, axels, transmissions, shackles, springs, shocks, well, you get the point.

And as for traction on rock/snow/mud etc. well tread and sidewall design are EVERYTHING there.

You want a killer tire at a fair price?
Kelly Springfield whatever x9.50's. There are three tread patterns depending on whether you're a mud/rock/sand and/or street kind of guy and you can toss them on either your stock 7's or 8's and have less to do to make room for a better tire than any other combo for FAR less money, and have more REAL ground clearance where it counts.
If you want to embarass a BUNCH of the "bad boys" get the 33x9.50's with the medium tread, a 3" all spring lift, and do just a smidgen of fenderwell trimming. Would be good on a GW to get at least some 3.73 gears in the pumpkins but you're mileage will be amazing, and ability to get 'over the ground' almost beyond belief.
Ever see those old Ford Model A pictures with the skinny spoked wheels climbing river banks and chugging through 2ft of mud? DIAMETER gets you 'up and down', Wide is for SHOW! (and dunes [img]smile.gif[/img] heheheh

&lt;climbs off the soapbox&gt;

83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper
Old 04-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Gear Head

FSFrank was wondering about the rims in the sand.
As has been posted given the same tire size, a thinner rim will usually hold it longer as air pressure is reduced HOWEVER, at the margin, that is not what causes the big problem in sand.
15/20 is plenty of air for any rim to hold a tire in common sizes.

The REAL problem is when a little bitty grain of sand catches between the bead and the rim and starts its migration towards the inside of the tire. With every flex it goes deeper (centrifugal force) and eventually it will worm a path deep enough to break the seal and cause an itsy bitsy little air leak which will cause you no end of trouble as the only way to stop it is to remount the tire and get the **** sand out of there.

sooooo, the easything to do which cures both the fears of breaking the bead with low psi, and keep ing the sand out, is to lay down a thin bead of silicone clear around your tire/rim joint long enough before you hit the dirt to set up.

Your tire guy will ***** and holler if you come in to fix flats [img]smile.gif[/img] but it sure works well [img]smile.gif[/img]
and it really isn't all that hard to break loose when you need to change the tire on the rim. ALSO, make sure you got your valve stem caps screwed down good before you hit the dunes.
Darn sand gets into everything [img]smile.gif[/img]
83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper
Old 04-22-2002, 03:55 PM
Grease Monkey

Hey Oracle, you must be a tire dealer. But to boil some of that off......if your mudding, you want the tallest profile-use the narrowest recommended rim size, it gives you the tallest profile and most rim protection. If your climbing and trailing-stay close to the middle, it'll give you room to play with airdown and footprints. If your streeting or sanding-use the widest recommend rim as it will give you the widest footprint. If its just your "baby" choose the look you like best and can afford.