• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KZ900Jim
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 25, 2017

Fuel return line

My sons '79 wag is now officially a '72 as far as the CA DMV is concerned..😏

We have an edelbrock 2131 and a 600 cfm Holley to sit on top.

My question is, can I abandon the fuel return line? I realize its part of the emissions requirements but that's not a concern anymore.
  • SIUADOG
    232 I6
    • May 18, 2014

Also curious, as we are swapping intakes this weekend. Hopefully someone will be able to clarify exactly what that line is for, vapor or fuel.
    Just Empty Every Pocket

1988 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360
    727 TF
    No modifications so far... Yeah, I'll probably keep it stock.

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• TexasJ10
      360 AMC
      • Jan 03, 2002

The fuel return line is just that. Any excess fuel and pressure not required by the carb is returned to the tank via the fuel filter setup. I suspect that it takes a lot of pressure off the needle since the fuel pump is going to keep trying to send fuel to the carb whether needed or not. I don't know if the fuel pump can regulate that by itself, but I don't think so. The fuel vapor line from the tank is a separate line with a connection in the engine compartment that goes into the charcoal canister. Personally, I would use the return line for its intended purpose.
      * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
      * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
      . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
      * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

The 1979 Service Manual says (on page 1J-6)
        Fuel Return System:
        All models use a fuel return system to reduce the possibility of high temperature fuel vapor problems....
        The special fuel filter has an outlet nipple connected to the fuel return line. The fuel return line is routed to the fuel tank, where it attaches to a nipple on the fuel tank sending unit. During normal operation, a small portion of fuel is returned to the tank. During periods of high under hood temperatures, vaporized fuel is returned to the tank and not passed through the carburetor.

So, in other words, the return line is there to prevent vapor lock. My return line has not been hooked up (but is plugged) in over a year on my truck with no ill effects (including passing a smog check). You'll notice almost all Carb'ed hot rods do not have return lines, either.

So, unless you are going to use the stock fuel filter, plug the return line as close to the tank as possible and remove the rest of it. Without the stock style fuel filter, I am not sure how you could hook up the return line anyway.

BUUUuuuttt know you are more susceptible to Vapor Lock without it. In Camarillo it's not an issue (we almost never get over 100 degrees) but I am not sure how Hayward weather would effect it.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• TexasJ10
          360 AMC
          • Jan 03, 2002

That "small" amount of fuel is actually quite a bit. You can hear it returning to the tank if you put your ear to the tank even at slow idle. It is a very steady flow. Do you need it? As pointed out, cars ran without them for years, but I would still use it if available.

Rang a Stang, good info on the vapor lock issue. It makes sense it would help keep that from happening.
          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• itselliot
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2010

Return line

I JUST, this week, fired up my freshly built 401.
            Has a Holly 4160 , 600 CFM 4 bbl...I omitted the return line in my build...."why should I " I thought..................then upon the first "in Vehicle" start up , the fuel just pressured it's way past the needle and seat in the Holly and started to spit up through the bowl Vents.
            I have just last night completed the installation of a new return line using the standard AMC return port type fuel filter.
            I used a temporary, clear fuel line in a section near the engine to view the flow. There is a significant amount of fuel being returned to the tank!!!

Its my understanding that Holly's are not able to handle more than 4-5~Lbs of fuel pressure.....So regardless of emissions, I find that the return line is necessary. One could use a pressure regulator I assume, but that would not help with the vapor lock issue at all.
            Last edited by itselliot; 01-25-2018, 05:54 AM.
            If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
            [email protected]
            616 four 03 44 0 five
            '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
            "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
            '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• J20 project
              304 AMC
              • Dec 27, 2000

You are dead on w/ that itselliot...

J20
              BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
              775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• kansasboy001
                232 I6
                • Nov 06, 2016

Originally posted by itselliot
                One could use a pressure regulator I assume, bit that would not help with the vapor lock issue at all.
                If a bypass (return) type pressure regulator is used it accomplishes the same thing as the factory return filter only precisely meters the pressure. The old vapor lock kits that used to be sold in the full size jeep magazine used a bypass regulator
                1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• itselliot
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 28, 2010

Originally posted by kansasboy001
                  If a bypass (return) type pressure regulator is used it accomplishes the same thing as the factory return filter only precisely meters the pressure. The old vapor lock kits that used to be sold in the full size jeep magazine used a bypass regulator
                  I have not heard of a "bypass" type regulator........Hmmmm
                  Always assumed that a regulator would just back up the mechanical fuel pump causing it to work harder and fail sooner. I need to go shopping now.
                  If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
                  [email protected]
                  616 four 03 44 0 five
                  '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
                  "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
                  '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• kansasboy001
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 06, 2016

A bypass regulator has a 2nd outlet that connects to a return line to the tank. Instead of backing up the pump it returns the excess pressure to the tank even more than the stock filter setup. This is the one I use

1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• Don S
                      • Feb 06, 2002

Each blend of gasoline has it?s own temperature vaporization point. Plus there are summer and winter grades. Note. The vaporization point drops to a lower temperature as the pressure drops, they are related. Some blends of gasoline will vaporize at 145 degrees at sea level. Heat from the engine compartment is routed toward the fuel tank. Fuel pumps get hot. Fuel tanks are close to hot road surfaces. This all helps bring the fuel up closer to it?s vaporization point.
                      The fuel return line is your friend. It can send the vaporized gasoline back to the tank where it condenses back into usable gasoline. The three way filter should be angled upward with the return nipple at the highest point. The return line should be routed away from heat sources as it can add to the temperature of the fuel in the tank.
                      In 1970 I was a Pontiac and Rambler salesman The 1970 Pontiac Bonneville?s came with the three way filter. Ever store gasoline in an open can at ambient temperatures well below vaporization point? Somehow it disappears leaving just the fuel additives!

It worked for me.. Don S..
                      Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                      It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                      ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                        • Jan 09, 2011

With everyone whining about carbureted cars with vapor locking and other vapor-related issues in hot weather and thinking electric fuel pumps are the heaven-sent solution, I find it silly that anybody would want to get rid of the fuel return system. Even many more modern fuel injected cars have some kind of fuel return system to keep the fuel in the lines always circulating.
                        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• EasTXJEEPER
                          232 I6
                          • Jul 30, 2012

My 83 Cherokee 360 with a 600 cfm Edelbrock was starved for enough fuel until I disabled the fuel bypass line.
                          Crusin just wasn't any fun when my Jeep couldn't pull even the slightest grade. If the carb Bowls aren't full because of low fuel volume due to pumped fuel going back to the tank. I FIXED IT The Cheapest Way Possible

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 15, 2010

good for you, glad removing it worked for you, but I still know a return line is a good thing to help with vapor lock issues unless you set your system up to run a electric pump with a regulator and then you can still run a return line.

Comment

• Maherpmj
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 08, 2015

Originally posted by itselliot
                              I JUST, this week, fired up my freshly built 401.
                              Has a Holly 4160 , 600 CFM 4 bbl...I omitted the return line in my build...."why should I " I thought..................then upon the first "in Vehicle" start up , the fuel just pressured it's way past the needle and seat in the Holly and started to spit up through the bowl Vents.
                              I have just last night completed the installation of a new return line using the standard AMC return port type fuel filter.
                              I used a temporary, clear fuel line in a section near the engine to view the flow. There is a significant amount of fuel being returned to the tank!!!

Its my understanding that Holly's are not able to handle more than 4-5~Lbs of fuel pressure.....So regardless of emissions, I find that the return line is necessary. One could use a pressure regulator I assume, but that would not help with the vapor lock issue at all.

Actually Holley recommends 5-7 psi for proper fuel pressure. Been running a TA670 at that pressure with no problems with flooding or vapor lock without the return line in hot AZ summers. Using a Carter E-pump
                              Current jeeps
                              1977 J10 360 4bbl 4" lift w/33s
                              1977 J20 401 4bbl 7" lift w/37s
                              2003 Rubicon 4" lift w/33s

Comment

Working...
                              X