International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-11-2015, 02:14 PM

Power steering issue when Cold?

My 1990 GW has always had an issue when it's been sitting for about 24 hours, and you start it. The power steering sometimes will be assisted when you turn the steering wheel left, but then when you go to turn right, it is totally unassisted. This causes problems for the wife when backing out of our driveway. It appears to be aggravated with the colder weather. Once you really yank on the wheel to the right or "bounce" it against the point where you can feel it has no assist, it frees up and is fine.

This summer I replaced the steering gear because it was leaking like a sieve, I figured when winter came that this would solve the problem with the turning right unassisted, but it seems to of had no effect other than stoping the leaks. (So same issue with old gear and new gear) I also replaced the fluid during the change, as well as both steering hoses. Power steering level is fine, unless my cap is wrong (not sure on that).

The only thing left to replace is the power steering pump, but I don't see how this could be the issue? Doesn't the pump just generate hydraulic pressure?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:00 PM

Hope you find the answer because I have a similar problem.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Just put a rebuilt box in my XJ and it introduced that problem. I'm thinking it is the crap Autozone rebuild.
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 AM
350 Buick

WHat fluid did you use? The fact that it is occuring when cold might mean the fluid is too thick when cold. People often add too high a percentage of additives like "Lucas" which is a great additive, but gets very think when cold.

Make sure your cap has a good seal.

When you are experiencing this issue, stop, leave engine running and pop the hood. Open the reservoir and see if there are air bubbles in the reservoir, if so, you have air trapped that causes havoc with hydraulic systems.

Jack both wheels off the ground, support with stands. With engine off, cycle steering lock to lock slowly 10-15 times and then check/fill fluid. Now do the same with the engine running, though don't "Jam it" and hold on to either lock to long, but SLOWLY cycle side to side... with engine running see of the bubbles are gone. IF so, take it for a drive and see if that helps. (If you hear the pump suddenly get louder, immediately stop and fill fluid... often air pockets will burp through and cause a sudden drop in reservoir level... erally this is best done with 2 people, one cycling the wheel and one watching the level)

if there are still bubbles, use a hand vacuum pump to apply and hold 15-18 lbs of pressure, start the engine and cycle back and forth 15 times. (I have an adapter for my pump from Lisle, but you can drill out a cap and put a mildly barbed fitting on it, which is what I use on GM trucks and AMC/Jeeps with the Saginaw pump) BEst not to use engine vacuum, but if you do, be sure and setup an inline "catch can" so that you don't get a burp of fluid directly inyo your intake!

IF no bubbles present, with wheels off the ground, see if there is any binding in your front end and also check your tire pressure... you would be amazed what a difference tire pressure can make, especially when cold!

If the problem reoccurs, see if there is staining at either end of the rubber pressure hose... if so, you have a faulty hose (even if it is new) that is drawing in air.

Last edited by j2sax : 01-12-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

The dieselwag uses Valvoline synthetic ATF at the recommendation of the supplier of my hydroboost. It also has the sticking problem. The XJ also has a brand new pump and the entire system was flushed and filled with Lucas synthetic power steering fluid. No additives have been put into either system. I have also verified there is no air in either system.
-Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 01-12-2015, 07:18 PM

A LPOS (little piece of S) stuck in the reed valve. Pull the return line from pump and drain into a bucket. Then do that with the pressure line and blow air through the return (just a little pressure) and rock the steering wheel and re-install.

NOTE: Don't lose the orings or at least have new ones to go on!

Works better than 50% of the time.