• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhilSine
    304 AMC
    • May 25, 2002

Rear Window Re-Engineering

Last weekend I had the opportunity to re-engineer the way the control arms are held in place when attached to the slots on the bottom of the rear window. I'm just passing along what I learned.

To start with, the window was stuck in the down position. I referenced the tech archives to tell me how to remove the window from the control arms so that I could replace the motor (I had already determined it was broken from previous troubleshooting sessions). The archive said to remove the retaining clips that secure the control arm studs to the window frame. I did this. There is also a suggestion to buy new clips but I read in another post that you can re-use the old ones. I decided to attempt to re-use the old ones. Well, I lost one and the other wouldn't hold. So, the gears in the noggin started turning and I came up with a solution.

1) I went to the parts store and bought a variety pack of standard type snap rings from the "Help" section ($4.89).

2) I bought a nice pair of snap ring pliers (love the fixes that require me to buy new tools)($11.99).

3) Found some large washers in my garage. These washers were about 1 1/2" in diameter with a small hole which was about 1/2".

4) Drilled out the washer to fit around the stud.

5)* Using my bench grinder, I ground one side flat enough so that the washer would fit perfectly on the stud without rubbing on the window frame.

6)* Ground the top of the washer down a bit so it wasn't as thick.

7) Reassembled window and control arm assembly.

8) Placed washer on top of stud and placed snap ring on top of that in groove that is there for OEM clip.

9) Did the other one, raised and lowered the window about 12 times to be sure it would all hold and, rejoiced at my success.

* If you use a smaller, thinner washer these steps can be eliminated. I used what I could find in the garage.

That's it. For about $16 in parts ($5 if you don't include the purchase of a new tool) you can hava a secure rear window that can be easily disassembled and put back together should it ever fail again in the future. I'm not trying to say "Don't use the OEM clips", I'm just offering an easier, equally reliable alternative. After all, ever try to put an OEM window clip back on?

I hope this will help sombody some day.
    I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.
  • Sitting Bull
    360 AMC
    • Sep 18, 2000

As a side note (not being a smart-a$$), these clips can be purchased new from almost all ACE hardware stores. I think they were 35 cents or something.

Looks like a good solution though, maybe a worthy upgrade.
    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

Originally posted by Sitting Bull:
      As a side note (not being a smart-a$$), these clips can be purchased new from almost all ACE hardware stores. I think they were 35 cents or something.

Looks like a good solution though, maybe a worthy upgrade.
      i havent seen anything like the stock clips at a hardware store, but i did a similar thing with a 7/16 e clip. they run abot 35 cents. i reamed out a fender washer and then dished it with a ball pein hammer. the slot on the left had corroded quite a bit and it was popping off the stock fastener. another heresy, ive committed to the wag's t/g was to cut 2" holes in the panel about an inch or so above where the clips are when the window is at the bottom. this makes removing and installing them a lot easier. i can just press them on with a 9/16 deep socket. the panel covers the holes

[ July 22, 2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: andy d ]
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Sitting Bull
        360 AMC
        • Sep 18, 2000

have you tried Ace? They have clips similiar to the Jeeps in two places at the hardware bins. One of these is more or less a direct swap. Since it's a national chain, I would assume they would all have the same thing. I've seen them myself in two locations, and Trickc got his from a third.
        Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Comment

• PhilSine
          304 AMC
          • May 25, 2002

Oh now Sitting Bull, we all know you love being a smart A.S.S. But don't we all

I didnt think of going to the hardware store. I should know better by now about those things. They often carry a wider variety of the small stuff like that. It wouldn't have served me well to consider the hardware store in this case as it was closed by the time I began the project on Sunday.

My Dad has done the hole in the tailgate thing. I prefer not to as I aim to keep it all as intact as possible.

I just recall how difficult it was to remove those little snots and am now more comfortable with the way it exists now in terms of future sevrvice and the ease at which it will be able to be performed.
          I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• PhilSine
            304 AMC
            • May 25, 2002

Bull, just noticed your new avatar, nice looking rig. Any plans to restore the Chief badging as it once was?

Comment

Working...
            X