International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Power steering pump OR Steering box???

I had power steering issues on my 77 Honcho 401. Since it never left town I put up with the "sometimes I have power steering sometimes I don't issue" It would get hard to turn sometimes like it lost all power, squeal like a stuck hog the other times. I figured it was the pump and one day not long ago I shreded a good condition belt right off it during a squealing event out in the driveway.
So I figure the pump is bad and strip it off the brackets to replace. I eventually traded Red Mistress here for one so I kept my old one near the work bench in the garage. Motor is apart so the new one has not been hooked up yet.
Now comes the screwey part...........
Insert Grandwag85, Sean, into the picture.. He arrives at the house last week with no power steering. I get the pump from a 1976 Honcho that was parted down and we were going to reconfigure it to fit into an International Harvester Truck. Not a big deal just swap out some ports from one to the other and fab up a tension bracket.
Walla...... CornDawg now has power steering Sean goes on his way. This week I get out in the garage re-arranging some stuff. One thing I picked up was the 1976 power steering pump and the old IH power steering pump. Somehow we got the 77 ( dead pump??) from my Honcho mixed up and that is what got the new fittings and installed in the IH. It works

Sooooooooooo....
Is this some "Sean Zone" type thing or could my trouble of been in my steering box and not the pump?
Why would that almost new belt shred off during a screeching event?
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Last edited by HOOT : 11-23-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Cowboy Up

Sounds like either your box has collected too much crappola (you'd be surprised what comes out of them...) or maybe one of the balls went crunch. When I've botched reassembly by not alternating one of the different sized balls the box would do just that.... roll along and then grab. Air pockets can do similar things but a full lock up sound like the box needs a rebuild.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 AM

Looks like I'll swap it out when I get that far. I want J20 running gear anyway in the Honcho.
I suspected the box a few times because of its jerky type lock up. We use some bearings set up like this system. Loose a ball and it creates havoc on the rest.
AT least I have a NOS pump ready for it
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:55 AM
304 AMC

NOS gearboxes

I had 4 NOS gearboxes 1 of them J20, that used the flare style fittings.

They went to Belgium.
82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:47 AM
King Browless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT
Sooooooooooo....
Is this some "Sean Zone" type thing
OH MY! The Sean Zone

You're traveling through another dimension (mostly walking), a dimension not only of the sight of broken parts and the sounds of leaking fluids but of mind;
a journey into a wondrous land whose automotive boundaries are that of the imagination of a showroom new ride — Next stop, the SEAN Zone.

1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 11-26-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith
OH MY! The Sean Zone

You're traveling through another dimension (mostly walking), a dimension not only of the sight of broken parts and the sounds of leaking fluids but of mind;
a journey into a wondrous land whose automotive boundaries are that of the imagination of a showroom new ride — Next stop, the SEAN Zone.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Señor Jackhead

Sean's real name is Murphy.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s and a few Evil Twin mods, http://eviltwinfab.com and a few TT's Fabworks mods, http://www.ttsfabworks.com
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20