International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewxcv
the one i posted is aftermarket, though ive seen some on the liberty, and i think that was factory.

There is both for the Liberty. And neither looks good.

The same company that does the Commander wood grain also has one for the Patriot.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
FSJ Maniac

What I dislike is how Chrysler isn't just missing the boat on this, they're ignoring it altogether. The 'Wagoneer' moniker has been a staple of Jeepdom for years and just hearing the name invokes an image (not one of a rusting hulk dead on the side of the road either ).

They took the Cherokee image down to a smaller vehicle with its own purpose but they've been stupidly trying to come up with a new big Jeep image when they already have one on the shelf.

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Master Mechanic

from the Motor Trend February 2011 issue, page 10.........

"Jeep is being run by 46-year-old Brit Mike Manley, who cut his teeth in the business as a car dealer in the U.K. before moving to America with DaimlerChrysler eight years ago. Manley's vision for Jeep includes a new Grand Wagoneer, built on a lengthened wheelbase version of the new Grand Cherokee's platform. "Grand Wagoneer would be the pinnacle of Jeep," he says. "We still have work to do to be able to confirm we can do it, but it is very much in my plans." Also on the agenda are diesel engines for the U.S. market, and a new baby Jeep, smaller than the Compass, for the European market"

Guess it'll depend on how long Manley keeps his job; doesn't sound to me like it'll happen anytime soon.

'87 GW-360, 727/229, TFI, Holley Street Dominator manifold & Edelbrock 1406. Stock lift & tires.

Beef-It's what's for dinner....cause there ain't no d@mn shrimp in Colorado!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Well, I posted it on another thread; I still haven't finished it. But this is my depiction of a new Wagoneer on the new Durango/Cherokee chassis.

Although, I did have the thought of it being a Flex competitor, in the realm of a 4x4 WAGON, that could tow more than the Durango, and offer 2-3x the luxury of the Cherokee Overland Summit, and even maybe having the 6.1 Hemi stock, and the 6.3 Hemi as the option.

2018 Wagoneer Rendering if you're interested.

Last edited by suzq044 : 01-16-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Master Mechanic

I like the looks of that!

What I don't like is that it's going to be just like every other modern full-size SUV; a souped-up minivan.
-Dana 44's, 3.54's,
-32x11.50r16's
Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

That's kind of why I was toying with the idea of playing with a Flex styled body.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM

I read somewhere that they were indeed coming out with a jeep gladiator truck for 2012 which would be released in 2011. cant remember where i read it but I sure was excited for some reason cause i know i sure cant afford one.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaklask
but I sure was excited for some reason cause i know i sure cant afford one.

lol, same here....I couldn't afford a waggy back when they were new; I gurun-tee a new wag would be ridiculously over priced

'87 GW-360, 727/229, TFI, Holley Street Dominator manifold & Edelbrock 1406. Stock lift & tires.

Beef-It's what's for dinner....cause there ain't no d@mn shrimp in Colorado!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm a tech at a Chrysler dealer and we recently received a news letter saying that 2013 The Jeep Grand Wagoneer will be released. I cant copy the website because you need my password to access it but this was an excerpt...

"...CEO Sergio Marchionne
“It’s time we gave the market an upper-scale Grand Wagoneer,” Marchionne said at a press conference at the Detroit auto show yesterday. “You’ll see it in January 2013.”
According to Marchionne, the Grand Wagoneer will be a seven-passenger SUV based on the WK2 platform, which is already used beneath today’s Grand Cherokee and the new 2011 Dodge Durango."

He also said that even tho it will be replacing the Commander it will show little resemblance because the Commander was "Unfit for human consumption" lol
I also read a quote that all Jeeps with be trail rated from now on because he doesnt like mickey mouse jeeps.....very interested to how this will turn out.
'04 CBR 600RR, (Got to drive something fast)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Master Mechanic

I'm not sure about their definition of "trail rated." Seems like their definition is about the same as a Plymouth Voyager.

If it's going to have a prestigious designation like "trail rated," it better be able to keep up with a stock Rubicon Wrangler!
-Dana 44's, 3.54's,
-32x11.50r16's
Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

Big time there. The modern jeeps are too expensive, have complicated electronic engines that cannot be repaired if you break down in the middle of nowhere, independant suspensions that flex like crap and break, cheap plastic parts that don't hold up, and fancy interiors that no one wants to get dirty offroad. The new Wagoneer should be like our FSJs. People should be able to order a stripped one for offroad use with Heavy duty parts or a fancy one for a grocery getter and anywhere in between. I believe Jeep had their lineup perfect in the mid 70s. Jeep should be making Jeeps exactly like they did then. When offroad capability came before on road comfort; reliability before MPG; ruggidness before comfort; and simplicity for ease of repair and cheaper price. If people want a vehicle to load groceries in then they should get a minivan, not a jeep. All vehicles in the jeep lineup should be extremelly capable so no matter what model people bought, offroad capability would be assured.
(I have strong feelings about this as you can tell. I hope to be a vehicle designer of some kind some day.) If I make it I promise all of you I will make a true tribute to the FSJ.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM

FsJunkie....I agree with your statement about off-road capability before comfort but the truth is that there is probably less than 10% of Americans that would actually use there SUV's or Trucks. And as far as ease of fixing and having less complicated electronics...you can't blame the designers completely. If you want V8 power, the only way you can get it and still meet the strict government standards of MPG and Emissions is through fancy pants sensors and fail prone systems such as EVAP or the new Exhaust Fluid system that I'm curious how that is going to workout. Government mandates Tire Pressure Monitor systems, ABS, Airbags, and in the next year Traction Control. Those systems alone add many parts to fail and cost you money and the manufacture can do nothing about that. No cars with ever have the rough, raw feel of the Jeeps from the 60's and 70's, but I would never say that Jeeps of today are less capable then our FSJ's. With ESP and trac systems giving traction to the exact tire that needs it, electronic lockers, push button disconnect sway bars, and now quadra-lift, I would put a new Jeep against an old one anyday. Now after backing up the new Jeeps....you will never see me driving anything newer than my '97 Tj for all the reasons that I just tried to defend lol.
'04 CBR 600RR, (Got to drive something fast)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.

Many good points ther that I will keep in mind in the future. I've allways been an old-school type person that prefers old technology. My friends have iPods, I have a 45 year old Sansui vacuum tube stereo and many records. They have a 2011 Grand Cherokee, I have a 1972 Wagoneer. It's just the way I'm wired. You are right though, and there is not much we can do about the modern vehicles. Every so often I rant like that. Thanks for your understanding.

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Master Mechanic

I find it hard to believe that a wagoneer will be produced. especially with the new CAFE standards companies can not afford to make suvs that are much bigger than a grand cherokee. Im a subaru tech, and they recently introduced an all new low friction engine to help there fuel economy, that uses synthetic 0w20 oil. The govt also wants to companies to stop producing engines with timing belts because they feel engines shouldnt need work like this for more than 100,000 miles. Sorry for the long post but some companies dont seem to understand gas isnt getting any cheaper, and fuel economy standards arent getting any less strict. the future of cars sure is changing some is good and some bad (like the prius)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM

I have to agree with the "Feds" on that one. Timing belts are stupid. Sure, a chain can stretch and jump, but it will give you plenty of warning before spontaneously breaking and possibly destroying the motor.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Master Mechanic

Yeah unfortunately being a technician we do lose a small amount of work but at least replacing the timing chain pays better its a bummer since subarus are some of the easiest cars to do timing belts on. I do kinda like that wagoneer drawing. I think jeep should at the very least build a truck of some sort.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 PM

That is perfect, I'd bbuy one ina heartbeat as long as it was as tough as it looks. New engines are great, how about rest of drivetrain? This would sell well IMHO. Americans are looking for a new reason to buy and this is just enough old-fashioned Americana with forward-looking technology. Well done on your design. Hopefully Marchionne et al are listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzq044
They made it look uglier than it should've been, the lower strip adds the nastiness; the following is a Photoshop I did a while back:

Otherwise, I'm guessing they're considering using the NAME, not the type of vehicle the Wagoneer is, IE - it'll be a high-luxury off-road SUV to compete with the Range Rovers, more likely than not. It'll probably look nothing like an FSJ, and probably won't have solid axles like one either. Maybe instead of the massive side-paneling, it would go further back in the lineage, and go with the strip of wood instead.

I drew this right over a 2011 Cherokee; it's got similar lines, believe it or not. But I went with the older-style wagoneer on the sketch-over:

Although, I don't see a business case for it. The Chrysler brand has 3 vehicles right now. They are supposed to be the Luxury brand of the Chrysler Group, so this SUV would fit better as a Chrysler, in the current line-up.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Master Mechanic

With all these good photoshopers around here...

Anyone want to make a j-truck out of commander?
-Dana 44's, 3.54's,
-32x11.50r16's
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Grease Monkey

I would love to see a new GW but I really wish Jeep would make Gladiator concept truck a reality. Id get a 3rd job to pay for that!

1988 Grand Wagoneer
1983 CJ7
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox1671
With all these good photoshopers around here...

Anyone want to make a j-truck out of commander?

LOL - been there, done that..

http://suzq044-chopartist.deviantart.com/gallery/ <- my deviantArt

Last edited by suzq044 : 01-21-2011 at 01:41 AM.