• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • srobertsfsj
    304 AMC
    • Aug 26, 2002

Distributors for TBI? HEI module?

I've searched at bit and I found one but it seems kind of pricey. Does anyone know of any other brands?

Basically its just a dizzy with no mechanical or vacuum advance, correct? How hard is it to convert an HEI dizzy to work with EFI, or is it even possible?
    Last edited by PlasticBoob; 03-01-2011, 01:25 PM.
    Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
    http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

• FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

If you convert over to computer controlled ignition timing, you can use your stock distributor by removing the centrifugal advance weights and springs and welding the mechanical advance parts togeth. Disconnecting the vacuum hose removes that part of the system. The GM ignition module can be triggered by the stock AMC (well, Ford) distributor.

It's easy to do and cheaper than $400. And now you've got computer controlled timing!

Details in my sig link.
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

And of course you'll need to be able to burn chips. But you're still at well under $400.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

You just clamp the vacuum and mechanical advance so that all the advance is provided by the spark control.

There's some info on the various HEI modules that contain spark control on the Megasquirt site. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm You could also use the Duraspark - or any other distributor that provides a VR output. You can do the same stuff with the GM ECU; you'd also need an external HEI (or other) module that's capable of being controlled by the ECU.

(Basically echoing Ethan - oh well).
        Last edited by tgreese; 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Walt
          350 Buick
          • Feb 24, 2003

I'm in the process of converting to TBI right now, and just hooked up a TBI ignition module to my duraspark dist. Here's the write-up:
          I know this has been covered before, but I did not find all of the information that I needed in one place, so here is my experience swapping the Ford ignition module to the GM HEI ignition module: Pretty simple swap. Gutting the old module is time consuming, but pretty straightforward; I didn't bother heating it up in the

Skip to the end of the thread, the section on the 4-pin HEI module is mostly not applicable for you.
          Then, like the other guys said, just dismantle your existing dist from the top and disable the mechanical advance.
          Personally, I'm not going to weld it, just make a lockout plate to put in place of the springs/weights. I'm sure welding would be superior, but if I need to back off the TBI install for some reason, I don't want to have to procure another dist.
          Last edited by Walt; 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM.
          90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• Woodchomper
            350 Buick
            • Dec 17, 2002

I've searched at bit and I found one but it seems kind of pricey. Does anyone know of any other brands?

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...V_8-53-23.html

Basically its just a dizzy with no mechanical or vacuum advance, correct? How hard is it to convert an HEI dizzy to work with EFI, or is it even possible?
            Scott, I did some research on this question a couple of years ago:
            A while ago I had this idea about converting a small cap GM HEI distributor for use in an AMC V8 engine. I even sent Zack (Z&M Jeeps) an email to see if he could make this style of distributor for me. Zack quickly responded with an offer to convert a large cap HEI distributor for EFI use but I really wanted a small cap HEI

What I learned was never buy a distributor off ebay. I still like the idea of a TBI only distributor just for cleaning up the wiring if nothing else. I converted my motorcraft distributor and remote mounted the GM ignition module on a heatsink. This setup has served me fine.

I had a chance to check out the MSD 8519 distributor when I helped a local Jeep shop with an EFI conversion. What was nice about the MSD was that you could lock out the mechanical and vacuum advance. With the MSD you could actually run the distributor prior to converting to EFI and then just lock out the timing after converting to EFI.
            1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
            1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

Working...
            X