• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

Cherokee vs. Cherokee wide track

So, I was wondering why people seem to want the wide track Cherokees more? Why are they more desirable?

Seems like when off roading sometimes a narrower vehicle has a little advantage in some instances.
    Of course there are times when the width could also be an asset

It's only like 2-3" right?
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I fink it's more a looks thing.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

You gain of a bit of axle width (stability), and more importantly to most people the ability to run essentially one size larger tires all other things being equal.
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

I don't think people "want" WT more, I just think there are more of them out there. I see NT Cherokees sell for more than WTs do. NTs are better looking, too. WTs have huge wheel wells compared to NTs; I have 33" tires on mine with no rubbing at all and that's pretty much stock suspension.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• mwood65
          258 I6
          • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
          I don't think people "want" WT more, I just think there are more of them out there. I see NT Cherokees sell for more than WTs do. NTs are better looking, too. WTs have huge wheel wells compared to NTs; I have 33" tires on mine with no rubbing at all and that's pretty much stock suspension.

REALLY?

I thought the narrow track ones were more common and the WT were more rare.

That's why I don't like coming on here, every time I do I leave knowing that I know less than I thought I knew.

You guys have a way of making me smarter and at the same time make me feel dumber....

Comment

Originally posted by rang-a-stang

I've honestly never seen anyone on here desire a NT more than a WT. Not saying it isn't the case, just that I've never seen it.

As to better looking, completely subjective. I'd take a WT looks-wise over a NT any day. The wheel wells really aren't that big, and 31's on a stock WT look pretty good, in my opinion.
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

From the day, it seemed tire clearance was the original motivation. Made to accept the wide tires on white spoke wheels. Likely still the most important factor today.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Cecil14
                I've honestly never seen anyone on here desire a NT more than a WT. Not saying it isn't the case, just that I've never seen it.

As to better looking, completely subjective. I'd take a WT looks-wise over a NT any day. The wheel wells really aren't that big, and 31's on a stock WT look pretty good, in my opinion.
                I don't, necessarily, disagree with anything you wrote. Especially "Completely subjective". Maybe the NTs sell for more because they never have rusty flares? Maybe because they are a little bit rarer (I think?). I think the NTs are better looking because the way the body lines flow down the back, up over the wheel wells. On a WT, it looks like there is a weird extra line behind the rear wheel well that doesn't connect to anything. Again, totally subjective.

All this to say, I love my WT and am looking forward to the day when I get to put my Cherokee Chief stickers back on. But if my son wrecks my WT, my next FSJ will not be a NT Cherokee...
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

I prefer the 4 door narrow tracks that happen to be a Wagoneer.

Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

"I" think it's just personal preference depending on looks and intended use. Of all the later fluff FSJ's my fav was the model 18 4dr Narrow Chero. My 82 was a bone stock Pioneer. Nice clean looks w/o all the troublesome high maint elec doodads of the Wag. No silly power seats, power windows and had a stock mechanical crank tailgate window but still had nice comfortable interior and clean body lines. FWIW...seems in the PNW anyway, WT's are more common than the NT's. Again, just my two cents.
                    joe
                    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

Hey Joe, you salty dawg... Well said. I do have a weakness for first year Cherokees. You know, they only came in one flavor. Preferably Z coded.
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• gopher_6_9
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 22, 2012

I agree it's preference. I have a WT because I had a '95 cobra that needed to go and a guy offered to drop keys Cherokee had brand new tires, cobra I stopped 3 times on the hour drive to air them up... It was rust free and in great shape. I defiantly came out better on the trade even though the cobra had some high dollar parts on it.

If I had my preference it would have been a 4 door grand wagoner, but to find one here rust free in decent shape is IMPOSSIBLE without paying to much.

With that said the widetracks do look "sportier" and I don't regret what I have one bit.
                        1983 Cherokee W/T

Comment

• Zorm
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 08, 1997

just a note, I got WT axles on my 83 NT and love em (4" lift though). I would love to lower a NT 2 door but those are hard to find, anyway, the WT 2 door is a little wider then a crown vic, which is what I'm thinking of putting the Chief body on.
                          83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

Working...
                          X