Need to get rear wiper motor out...how easy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepthing
    232 I6
    • Dec 18, 2002

Need to get rear wiper motor out...how easy?

This is the correct question I should have posed before. Basically, I need to remove my rear wiper motor, and I was wondering if anyone has done it before, and how difficult it is. I'd like to find out before I start ripping things apart. My rear window doesn't really work well, and it is currently in the fully up position. Hopefully that is a good spot for it to help in removing the rear wiper motor.
    Thanks!
    1991 GW, 130K miles. Sand interior/Silver exterior.<br />TFI upgrade, Accell 8mm wires.
  • jeepthing
    232 I6
    • Dec 18, 2002

Anyone....anyone??
    1991 GW, 130K miles. Sand interior/Silver exterior.<br />TFI upgrade, Accell 8mm wires.

Comment

• IronDog
      232 I6
      • Dec 03, 2002

Not particularly hard; an hour or so if you haven't done it before. There's a pretty good how-to in the tech library of this site - look under "Tailgate". The hard part will be finding a replacement motor, if that's what you're trying to accomplish. Yes, the glass has to be in the extended/up position to get to the wiper motor. Fix what's wrong with the window while you're in there.
      \'91GW,360,Edelbrock Performer,TBI,MSD,K&N

Comment

• Matthew W. Woodruff
        327 Rambler
        • Nov 13, 2002

Take care when you loosen the nut that holds the outer gasket and wiper-arm on. I cracked the motor housing when I replaced my old one.

If your window is stuck in the "up" position, you can remove the wiper motor by working from inside the cargo area. (I did this myself during the winter.) Remove the carpet, then the access panel and you're there.

Plan on checking and fixing all of the following while you are in there: support rail holding the glass to the regulator arms; washers holding the regulator arms to the rail; side channels for the glass; inside and outside weatherstrips; outside lock/switch; wiring harness; defroster relay.
        Matthew W. Woodruff<br />[email protected]<br />1989 Grand Wagoneer \"Laredo\"<br /><br />What works: tailgate window, rear wiper/washer, power windows, A/C, temp and compass, seat belt buzzer, fog lights, cruise control<br /><br />What doesn\'t: gas gauge, remote door locks, rear window defroster, cigar lighter

Comment

Working...
        X