International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM
304 AMC

Morning Frank, Good to hear from you. The smoke has been pretty bad this year. It has given Liz and I sore throats. I have been spending a lot of time in the shop working and just try to stay out of it. This year seems to be bothering us more than last year. 2015 the smoke alarms went off in the middle of the night from from smoke coming in the open windows. No fire protection here and I woke up in a panic till I realized what it was.

Glad you are getting some travel in and it sounds like you are having fun. I sure could use a vacation. This summer was "get Sadie done" and that is about all I have done so far. I don't think Sadie will be in Seattle by the time snow flies. I am still hoping though.

Looking forward to more on your J truck. It is so great to see everybody working on these old rigs and trying to enjoy them.

I got a new pole barn in and just yesterday the concrete was poured for the two closed in bays. More work space!!

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
304 AMC

Had some issues with the bumpers. The rear went on pretty much no problems. Except a couple large washers or shims under the passenger side mount. I tried to bend it back but could not. It was not obvious that it may have been bent. Installing the bumper showed it farther from the body on the drivers side. Not any more. It looks great with equal reveal.
I con't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I got out the 4 large pieces of scratched ribbed panel and found just enough scratch free areas to make new ribbed tailgate panels. After a polish they look just super.

Bumpers and emblems even. The Jeep one came from the Jeepster Commando site Partsdude4x4.com The four wheel drive emblem was rebuilt and rechromed by a shop in Spokane. They both look nice.

Up close.

The front bumper was a 2 day pain. The minor body lift made a interference fit on the center section. This is with a pile of washers under the mount and bumper skin. To close still.

I ended up redrilling the frame, slotting both side mounts, top on the back hole, bottom on the front hole, and welding up the old holes.

It worked just great. There are no washers under everything now. Just a couple under the end for equal reveal like the back.

Looking good.

I pick the grills up hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. I have a building final inspection and a concrete guy coming tomorrow to saw cut the floor that got poured last Friday. So it might be Tuesday for the grills.

Took the transmission pan off and cleaned it up. It had rust and looked bad. Changed the filter and sealed the pan back on with a new gasket. Got the drivelines in, shocks on and I believe the entire underside is complete now.
I have some brand new Warn locking hubs that still need to get bolted on. Then that really should be it. It will be time for lubing and oils soon.

It is busy under here now.

More soon.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Cherokee Outlaw

I love a clean undercarriage
TH400 - Shift Kit, Deep Pan, Aux Cooler
D20 - Twin Stick'd
F D44 - 3.54, Open
R D44 - 3.54, Lock'd

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed
Old Today, 09:46 AM
304 AMC

there are few things in this world that I am more excited for then to see Sadie's grill installed... especially with those amazing bumpers.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old Today, 08:19 PM
304 AMC

Speaking of grills.

Got these back today after a road trip. I will rivet back on all the mounting brackets tomorrow and get some black trim paint on. They look sooooo much better than before. It is a prismatic chrome powder coat.

A little closer. I am real happy with the way they turned out.

Hopefully I can finish one tomorrow. Cool eh?

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon