International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
jumpin_jumpin jumpin_jumpin is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2018
Posts: 21
Locating the Neutral Safety Switch 84 GW

I feel really ridiculous right now, but even after searching posts, reading damn good descriptions of where the NSS is, and looking at wiring diagrams I cannot find the NSS on my 84 Grand Wagoneer. I have the replacement part ready to go (hoping that gets it to start- right now the wheel is locked out so I can't even get it into neutral to test it) but I cannot find the dang thing!
Anyone have a photo from the top of the engine bay showing where this thing is?
Or should I be accessing from underneath the rig??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Pyrate2010's Avatar
Pyrate2010 Pyrate2010 is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Sep 18, 2015
Location: St.louis
Posts: 23
NSS switch

Neutral safety switch is also the reverse light switch it screws into the side of the transmission and wire runs up to ground out the starter solenoid
__________________
1983 Cherokee 4 door
AMC 360 727 trans 229 transfer case
FiTech EFI, MTA-1 cam, wiseco 9.25 pistons
Working on complete restoration with Wagoneer boobie Grill
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2018, 07:41 PM
jumpin_jumpin jumpin_jumpin is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2018
Posts: 21
Holy heck- is it this thing??? I can barely slide a phone up there to snap a pic- can't imagine how much fun it's going to be to try and get a wrench in there.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 PM
gsmikie's Avatar
gsmikie gsmikie is offline
Auto Trannie God
 
Join Date: Feb 18, 2001
Location: Bouse,az
Posts: 10,547
that is it
__________________
I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:30 AM
jumpin_jumpin jumpin_jumpin is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2018
Posts: 21
Oh joy. Just pop off the cap, unscrew the NSS, and screw on the new one?
I saw something somewhere about there being another screw I needed to loosen but can't tell which one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Pyrate2010's Avatar
Pyrate2010 Pyrate2010 is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Sep 18, 2015
Location: St.louis
Posts: 23
NSS

Well ... the other option is to pull up the carpet, remove all the bolts from the transmission tunnel cover and chisel off the sealant holding it on. Probably not what you want to do
__________________
1983 Cherokee 4 door
AMC 360 727 trans 229 transfer case
FiTech EFI, MTA-1 cam, wiseco 9.25 pistons
Working on complete restoration with Wagoneer boobie Grill
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM
nograin's Avatar
nograin nograin is offline
304 AMC
 
Join Date: Dec 19, 2000
Location: Philadelphia, Pa., USA
Posts: 1,856
Aw com'on, not that bad. I'd have to slip the NSS connector back on every few weeks until I finally replaced it.

Seriously, its not that bad. The more you do stuff, the more you'll get used to working in odd corners and working without actually seeing.

Clean that mess off, it will make your life easier.

As far as whether a new NSS is needed.
1. Gently but firmly turn the steering wheel while working the ignition switch. Try both ways on the steering. It probably just has a lot of pressure on the mechanism - assuming you know you have a good key. Sometimes a little jiggling is needed when things are worn.

2. All the NSS does is ground the solenoid relay. A jumper can be run from the terminal on the relay or solenoid (depends on year) to a ground. If it works with the jumper, then the problem is in the wire or the NSS.
__________________
'85 Grand Wagoneer
360 727auto, NP229
body by beer (PO)
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
jumpin_jumpin jumpin_jumpin is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograin
Aw com'on, not that bad. I'd have to slip the NSS connector back on every few weeks until I finally replaced it.

Seriously, its not that bad. The more you do stuff, the more you'll get used to working in odd corners and working without actually seeing.

Clean that mess off, it will make your life easier.

As far as whether a new NSS is needed.
1. Gently but firmly turn the steering wheel while working the ignition switch. Try both ways on the steering. It probably just has a lot of pressure on the mechanism - assuming you know you have a good key. Sometimes a little jiggling is needed when things are worn.

2. All the NSS does is ground the solenoid relay. A jumper can be run from the terminal on the relay or solenoid (depends on year) to a ground. If it works with the jumper, then the problem is in the wire or the NSS.


Thanks for the response! Pretty sure its the NSS- I wiggled it around a little bit and the beast started right up. I imagine it either came lose or the piece itself is faulting. I have the new one, will replace it as soon as I get a dry day. Doing all my work on the street/curb is not super fun.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2018, 09:23 PM
nograin's Avatar
nograin nograin is offline
304 AMC
 
Join Date: Dec 19, 2000
Location: Philadelphia, Pa., USA
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin_jumpin
Thanks for the response! Pretty sure its the NSS- I wiggled it around a little bit and the beast started right up. I imagine it either came lose or the piece itself is faulting. I have the new one, will replace it as soon as I get a dry day. Doing all my work on the street/curb is not super fun.

Curbside is never fun. Well try to make it fun with some laying in the dirt will be an adventure attitude.

Since you said it worked when you wiggled it, are you sure its not just the connector? That is, the connector gets a little loose rather than the NSS is broken?

Thats what was happening with mine. Sometimes it would fall off, sometimes just back off enough to be a poor connection.

If you need to replace the connector, its a cut and splice type job. There's two styles of connector. Try to get the correct one the first time. LOL I may have the pictures saved.
Disconnect the nss wire at the solenoid, then the reverse light wires from a connector by the firewall. Then you can do the splicing on the workbench.
edit: here we go, www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178248 The one I used with the half moon was Standard P/N S747

Drive the driver side wheels up onto a 2 x 10 or something equally solid for a little more room underneath.
__________________
'85 Grand Wagoneer
360 727auto, NP229
body by beer (PO)
carries wood inside
no "wood" outside
My other car is a fish

Last edited by nograin : 03-13-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:36 AM
jumpin_jumpin jumpin_jumpin is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograin
Curbside is never fun. Well try to make it fun with some laying in the dirt will be an adventure attitude.

Since you said it worked when you wiggled it, are you sure its not just the connector? That is, the connector gets a little loose rather than the NSS is broken?

Thats what was happening with mine. Sometimes it would fall off, sometimes just back off enough to be a poor connection.

If you need to replace the connector, its a cut and splice type job. There's two styles of connector. Try to get the correct one the first time. LOL I may have the pictures saved.
Disconnect the nss wire at the solenoid, then the reverse light wires from a connector by the firewall. Then you can do the splicing on the workbench.
edit: here we go, www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178248 The one I used with the half moon was Standard P/N S747

Drive the driver side wheels up onto a 2 x 10 or something equally solid for a little more room underneath.


I'm HOPING it's the NSS and not the connector, because I don't know a dang thing about electrical. That'll be what haunts me on this project of mine. But thanks for the right up- if it ends up being the connector, you've helped a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 AM
bwwhaler's Avatar
bwwhaler bwwhaler is offline
258 I6
 
Join Date: Apr 17, 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 342
When you pull it, have the new one ready to put in quick, you will have a tranny fluid bath very quickly...
__________________
87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM
jumpin_jumpin jumpin_jumpin is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Feb 03, 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwhaler
When you pull it, have the new one ready to put in quick, you will have a tranny fluid bath very quickly...
'

THAT is very good to know!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neutral Safety Switch silvercert General FSJ Discussion 5 10-05-2011 03:23 PM
Neutral safety switch bypass? 1cdccop General FSJ Tech 9 09-07-2011 09:53 PM
Repairing the tailgate switch - You can do it too! Jeepster226 General FSJ Tech 8 08-28-2010 11:29 PM
Neutral Safety Switch on T-176 Tranny kram General FSJ Tech 5 01-25-2010 08:53 AM
Location of neutral safety on 1987 Grand Wagoneer? jedelbrock General FSJ Tech 8 01-10-2010 02:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner