• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badaboom
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 05, 2001

Emission tube bolts, Question

What is the reasoning behind the emisson tube mounting bolts.
    The Hollow mounting bolts with the side hole.

Whats the deal?

What is the diff if you mount the emissions tube with a standard style bolt or the correct mounting bolts with the hollow shaft and side hole?
    1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching
  • Thomas792
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 16, 2007

I believe that without the hollow bolt and the hole in the side of the bolt, the fresh air will never get through the tube. It is very much like the set up on your brake lines. I've heard it called a banjo bolt in the past on morotcycles.
    1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
    Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• Smiff
      232 I6
      • Apr 17, 2010

Banjo bolt is the correct terminology for any fitting like that, and they are used in a lot of different pneumatic applications. In this case, it's a fastener that connects the air injection manifold to the exhaust manifold, and also provides access to the exhaust stream for the air injection system.

A standard bolt would actually close the air injection passageway, which could be advantageous if you want to delete your emissions equipment.... Hope this helps.
      Brian
      86 GW, stock 360/trans "Frank"
      Edelbrock carb on Offy intake
      Some kind of spring lift (BJs 6 maybe)
      Desert faded paint/body work courtesy AZ trails

USAF: Dropping Bombs and Hauling Grunts Since 1947

Comment

• kennewick
        232 I6
        • May 19, 2010

Fine thread bolts and short. I think they were 9/16 but can't remember for sure. I couldn't find ones short enough so I had to skinny wheel the excess off each one and clean up the threads. Sure cleans up the engine bay. Toss the pump too as it will just freeze up from non use anyway. Of course all this only if you are dumping the air injection.
        Live Free Or Die!!
        76 Wag, Quad w/low, 401, TH400, Dana 44 3.54/1 non LS, stock manis w/short 2.5" duals glass packs w/H pipe. 2" lift. air shocks rear, gas front. Superwinch locking hubs. Shift kit.

WIP
        gas tank relocate
        intake, oil pump, carb, HEI
        alt upgrade

Comment

Working...
        X