International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:49 AM
232 I6

2 down, but are they the mice from the Jeep?

So I put 6 traps in the Jeep, 4 next to the tires, 2 against the wall next to the Jeep.

Most of the peanut butter was eaten off the traps in and under the Jeep.

I got two mice in the traps against the wall. The problem is... are these the mice from the Jeep? or just residents of my shop?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM
out of order

Need more sensitive traps, or faster release...
If there are a bunch living around it may take a few sessions to get 'em all.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM
304 AMC

That is a deer mouse. I just emptied a trap with one in the shop. Gloves and lots of washing afterwards. The very best traps are the ones with the 1 inch square yellow fake cheese paddle. I put peanut butter in the very middle and they are very effective. The neat thing about the trap is any critter that crawls over the paddle will trip it. So up against walls and at the lower corners of each roll up door. You will get rid of them. We joke about checking the trap line every morning. And we feed crows that come by twice a day looking for a free meal. Funny how it all works.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 AM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
The very best traps are the ones with the 1 inch square yellow fake cheese paddle. I put peanut butter in the very middle and they are very effective.

Funny those are same ones I use...I've yet to find one with the PB eaten away unsprung.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM

Keep at it till you get no more. Keep your traps in their travel paths. They don't like wide open spaces so travel from cover to cover.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:20 AM
232 I6

I got rubber gloves and a mask, and discarded the two mice.
They do look like deer mice, and now I'm nice and scared. I wasn't exactly trying to breathe in the dust from the nests, but I was gettin' in there. Today I realized that someone in my shop took out the filter in the shop vac (because it was dirty). So all the nest material was just shooting out into the shop. Luckily toward the open roll up.

I re-loaded all the traps (except 2) and realized that none of the peanut butter was touched on the ones behind the tires. Maybe they're still in the pillars and doors? So mad.

I'm going to order 200 traps on Amazon right now. The kind with the yellow plastic and everything else I can find.

-Kevin
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM
350 Buick

I didn't realize hantavirus was up in the Pac NW or I would have mentioned it sooner and not been so flippant about it.

I used to work at a test facility in the mountains above the San Fernando valley. Had lotsa mices and one day the Safety people decided we should be trained on HV.

As I recall they acted like it was mainly a SW desert issue and we were unlikely to be exposed but better safe than sorry.

On the bright side, not all deer mice are carriers and as with any disease exposure doesn't mean you get it. You don't catch a cold every time someone sneezes on you.

The issue with the vacuum cleaner would be funny if not for the possible consequences. Can't think of a worse thing to do with the droppings.

As Kaiser said, watch for symptoms.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
304 AMC

In the last 1.5 years here I have read about 4-5 cases of it in Washington state. Mostly central state a couple hours west of here. Recently I sprayed down all the non running jeeps in the corner up here with a bleach and water mix in a spray bottle. If you see poop just soak it with a spray. Then wipe it up wet with a paper towel. With disposable gloves on. My wife and I both wear masks when we shuffle the jeeps to new spots.
Good points that not all have it, or exposure means a sickness for sure. But it is bad enough that it can kill and they say there is no cure. Funny I just caught a regular gray mouse baby running across the shop floor this morning. I had a thick welding glove on and took it for a walk. To the neighbors.... JK....

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 PM
232 I6

I got a little black and white cat that would be great at helping you out if you lived a little closer, he brings me mice all the time and even worked his way past a greasy transmission to get inside my truck after a bird that got in there. Maybe find someone around with a good mouser they'll loan you for a day or two.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM
232 I6

Hopefully I don't die. I'll let you know how that goes.

I ordered 16 more traps, but realized that I can't wait that long.
Watched some youtube videos and built a mouse catcher.
https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI

We'll have to see if it works. Hopefully my log spins easy enough.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 AM
350 Buick

I guess it depends on the mouse. I opened a drawer in the garage to find two adults and two babies hanging on to the mother. These were tiny compared to the ones I had in the truck.

Put them in a bucket chlorine tablets come in. Not quite as tall as a Homer bucket. Had a board over it with about a half inch gap and one of the adults, the male I assume, left that night. Mother left a week or two later after the babies were weaned.

Little buggers can jump.

Still have one of the babies. Can't get the wife to let it go.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoggerFogger
Hopefully I don't die. I'll let you know how that goes.

I ordered 16 more traps, but realized that I can't wait that long.
Watched some youtube videos and built a mouse catcher.
https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI

We'll have to see if it works. Hopefully my log spins easy enough.

Soooo? catch anything last night?
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-17-2018, 09:22 AM

If you have lotsa mice the bucket thing works. Only difference on mine was the bridge was a piece of wood and from it I hung a small piece of wood w/peanut butter suspended with a couple inches of string. They'll jump to the wood...slpoosh.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 AM
350 Buick

You know...I commend your tenacity...but from my experience...they will come back! Especially if you are not using it all the time. It's a constant problem where I live out in the country in Virginia. I had let my Airstream camper sit for a couple of years without much activity and the vermin invaded it badly. after opening it up and airing it...cleaning it etc...the smell went away. I placed traps all over and caught many mice...but they are still there.

I wish there was something reliable you could put in our vehicles or campers to make them not want to be there in the first place. I've researched various methods....not really sure any of them really work besides sealing it up completely. They can fit through the smallest cracks.

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe
Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM
350 Buick

Snakes...

Snakes might work;-) I find snake skins in my CJ's all the damn time after they have been sitting. The snakes come because of the mice...don't know whats worse. Well...Id rather not have the snakes ;-P

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe
Old 07-17-2018, 11:21 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Soooo? catch anything last night?

I took 2 traps from under the jeep and put them next to the wall where I caught the last two and they ate the peanut butter off the triggers.

Zero mice in the bucket. Doesn't look like they touched the PB.

The only good news is that all the PB is still on the triggers in the Jeep.

The nice thing about the bucket is that I can leave it and passively catch critters. I can also make 10 of them and catch tons... if it works.

I'm going to get some cotton balls and peppermint spray today and stuff it in the pillars of the Jeep before I install the headliner. Maybe I'll put the Jeep on 3' tall steel stands so they can't jump in. I feel like they've at least left the Jeep now that their nests are gone.

One thing that's amazing about watching the youtube videos of the bucket traps catching mice is their ability to jump. I wondered how they climb into the Jeep in the first place. They don't have to climb the tires. They can probably jump onto the axles. In the buckets without water, the mice could jump up and grab onto the head of the sheetrock screw +12" up from the bottom of the bucket and escape.

I too have an Airstream. When I bought it 5 years ago, it came with mice. Caught a few, and they didn't come back. Now I store it at my shop because I have a covered area. I should probably put some traps in there as well as a preventative measure. I made sure that I suspend the power cord going to it so they don't have an easy ladder, and stuffed steel wool in every penetration possible. All it takes is a dime sized opening and they'll get in.

Fricken' vermin.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoggerFogger
All it takes is a dime sized opening and they'll get in.

an exterminator told me the width of a pencil eraser is all it takes.

I had to rodent proof the crawl space many years ago, yes this is San Fran, I used wire mesh, of the smallest matrix, probably 1/16 to block off all the timber and plywood cracks. It has been mouse proof for over 10 years.

A friend used a motion activated flashlight to prevent a ferret from eating his cooling hoses... it worked, but he had to spend over $1000 to fix the damages on his german sports car, apparently the animal was attracted to the coolant and the nice taste of the electrical wires.

I will ask him if he remembers the brand of the device... because it worked

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
350 Buick

Oops. Didn't see the bucket was full of water. That should work if you can get them in it.

I wonder if beer would get them to take a dip since they are avoiding peanut butter on the hi-wire.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
BBBWWWAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
LOLOLOL!!!!!!!

It's true man, I ONLY use peanut butter in my mouse traps!

Took a couple times but the dogs learned quick it wasn't a treat set out for them.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventynine
Snakes might work;-) I find snake skins in my CJ's all the damn time after they have been sitting. The snakes come because of the mice...don't know whats worse. Well...Id rather not have the snakes ;-P

When I took apart the tailgate on my 74' Cherokee to fix the regulator,
I found a shed rattlesnake skin inside.

Not sure how a good sized snake got in there or out again...or if the skin was put there for some reason by human hands.

There was some good sized rust holes he could have slithered into I guess.