• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soxcloud
    232 I6
    • Mar 04, 2007

transfer case shifter in J-20

I have a 1978 J-20 with a TH400 auto transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case. I have a question regarding the shifter for the transfer case. The Jeep manual says the J trucks and the Wagoneer used the U path transfer case shifter. My truck has the straight line transfer case shifter which the manual says is only used in the CJ jeeps. I have previously used the U path transfer case shifter in an older Wagoneer that I owned and I prefer it to the straight line shifter.

Is the wrong shifter installed in my J-20 or is the manual wrong? If I want the U path shifter in my truck, how many parts do I have to change and how much work is involved?
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Any relics of a Quadratrac? Hole in the glove box? Holes in the floor for the low range shifter? By '78 I'd think a D20 in a TH400 J-20 was very unlikely, though possible. If the truck came witha Quadratrac and was converted, the shifter likely came with the transfer case. I've only seen CJs with the factory inline shifter - Commandos and FSJs always got the U-shifter, AFAIK.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• soxcloud
      232 I6
      • Mar 04, 2007

This 78 originally had a 4 speed with the spicer 20 transfer case. One of the early owners decided that they wanted an auto transmission instead and went to the trouble of converting it over. Since it wasn't an automatic setup to begin with, there is a steering column in it that does not have an automatic shift lever and linkage. That is one of the problems I am dealing with as I want to get rid of the cable shifter installed on the transmission hump.

This information doesn't help explain the straight line dana 20 transfer case shift installation.

Comment

• shackwrrr
        360 AMC
        • Mar 04, 2006

probably the po used a th-400 and xfer case from a cj with a v8
        Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• Dmntxn77
          Hey watch this...
          • Nov 19, 2004

Does the transfer case shift to the right or left of the tranny shifter? If its to the left, its probably a 208. They shift in a straight line..

Thats what I have in my J20...

Comment

• soxcloud
            232 I6
            • Mar 04, 2007

I'm sure my transfer case is a spicer 20. I've had one before on a 66 wagoneer with a Ramsey PTO winch and I have the 3 part 1978 Jeep manual that clearly shows the spicer 20 transfer case.

The thought that when the tranny swap took place a TH400 with an attached spicer 20 out of a CJ was probably swapped in to replace the original 4 speed and attached transfer case is a likely scenario and would explaign the straight line shifter.

I would still prefer the U shifter and may try to find one when I can. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X