• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Waggymcgee
    232 I6
    • Oct 19, 2020

Is this for fog lights?

Hey guys - would someone mind confirming if this under the dash would have been for the, no longer present, fog lights? Glad I decided to post this here too because I noticed that wired at the bottom. This Jeep has more electrical issues...maybe I will name her sparky! Thank you!

Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
  • nograin
    304 AMC
    • Dec 19, 2000

I don't think so - wrong shape.
    One good thing about the factory wiring diagram is most of the connectors are illustrated on their own table.

The 84-85 diagram is one of the more difficult wiring diagrams to use. Its best used as a reference to make your own drawing of whatever circuit it is you are puzzling.

On 85's the fog light circuit as far as I know has just the connector at the switch and the one at the relay.

(from here http://www.heritech.org/wagoneer/mggw5.html)

The foglight switch was attached to bottom edge of the dash on the driver's left. The relay hangs under the dash and is a common cube shaped one.

Definately want to fix that connector connections in your photo. Those squeeze splices that cut through the insulation are not good long term or capable of carrying much current.

Crimp splices like shown here (from Chrysler manual) with or without soldering are good.
    !!HUH!! Old man learned something. Was into the Dodge ram service manual and saw a little drawing about inline splice "clips" A simple little "U" shaped clip that you wrap around the "running" wire along with the "to be added" tap wire, and crimp. Solder........Makes a...

The terminals and plastic connector may be 'twin-locks' (shown here https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...ost-1972310615) but look like something else - possibly Packard Electric product.

You can look through this guy's terminal identification page to see if it matches anything he is showing.
    '85 Grand Wagoneer
    360 727auto, NP229
    body by beer (PO)
    carries wood inside
    no "wood" outside
    My other car is a fish

Comment

• Waggymcgee
      232 I6
      • Oct 19, 2020

Thanks for the response no grain. She is in the electrical shop currently, I am half tempted just to add this to the long list. I know what you reference with the switch and relay under dash. Will have to explore when I get her back.
      Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

• FleetFox
        258 I6
        • Apr 04, 2018

I can't see the wire colors well going into the terminal due to the angle of the pic. If it's Blk, Red, Orange, White Tracer, then it's the neutral safety/ 4wd term. , but that shouldn't be under the dash. I will take a pic next weekend of my fog lamp switch, and relay pigtail. It's on the bench right now.

Fleet Fox

Comment

• FleetFox
          258 I6
          • Apr 04, 2018

It appears to be the fog light female terminal, but the retaining clip is broken off. Judging by my 82 harness. Here is the add on harness for the switch with the relay that plugs into it if anyone is curious..

[/url]1226201624 by highsiera

[/url]1226201623 by highsiera

Fleet Fox

Comment

Working...
          X