• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2ManyWagons
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 24, 2004

727, NP 229 Trans mount question

Well I removed the 727 and the 229 from my 84 GW 2nd was shot , And I picked up a rebuilt one as a complete unit. It is supposed to have 10,000 miles on both the 727 and the 229.NOW...the questionThe rear mount was completly ripped into 2 pieces... no big deal right.Bought another one and removed the trans and transfer and bolted the new ones in place. Go to put in the cross member and the trans mount is off the forward holes in the cross member. It sits1/2" forward of the studd holes in the X member, This is with the cross member bolted loose in the holes it was removed from on the frame. Well the mount I bought was identical to the old one removed....The funky bracket set up on the trans adaptor to the mount is assembled the same way I removed it from the old transmission. The round torque bushing is also off center of the trans bracket, when you mount the X member into the original mounting holes. My delima is do they make a mount with the stud patteren off set? What holes does the 360 use in the motor mounts compared to the 258? Forward or rear set of holes on the motor mounts themselfs? Motor was replaced in 2003........could it be? So is the trans and the engine asembly sitting to far back?Do I have the wrong mount?I am pretty savy on cars and trucks just thought I would ask the panel of experts before spending money and time in the wrong direction.Thanks for the advise......Denns in Lynnwood WA
    Last edited by 2ManyWagons; 09-12-2006, 11:32 PM.
  • jeepfan93
    304 AMC
    • Feb 07, 2006

If it wasn't off set when you took it out you don't need it now. Way to be sure is to measure your old trans. Sounds like age has cught up with your rig. Loosen the motor mounts and use a ratchet strap to pull everything into place. You'll be fine. I had similiar problems and this was my fix.
    Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
    >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
    87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
    1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• stagenamefred
      232 I6
      • May 22, 2006

The 360 should bolt into the front holes on the mounts.

Comment

• 2ManyWagons
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 24, 2004

The 360 should bolt into the front holes on the mounts.

Mine is bolted to the rear holes in the motor mounts.........Oh wellThere is the issue, thanks for the heads up you guys are the bestDennis

Comment

• Jayrodoh
          360 AMC
          • Sep 07, 2004

Sounds like whoever put the motor in crammed it in the rear motor mount holes and wedged the trans mount into the x member. That would explain the broken mount and your inability to get the thing in. Lift the motor/trans up, set it in the rear crossmember holes, put the nuts on loosely and drop the motor into the front motor mount holes.
          Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

Working...
          X