• Oct 12, 2006

Dana 44 Beef-up

Hello, interested in beefing-up 1980 W/T Dana 44 Front/Rear Differential
    also interested in J20 1985 front/Rear Differential
    any and all information thanks
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

When you say "Beef up" Do you mean make it stronger or are you saying you want to add gears/lockers/rear discs?

Dana 44 is relatively stout. You have MMMMAAAANNNNNY options for gears, lockers, and LSDs because they were put in so many rigs. A J20 Dana 60 is inherently stronger but you have to beat on a D44 to really show it's weakness compared to the J20 D60s.

If you have access to the J20 axles, take them both so you have matching hubs (J20's have the 8 lug wheels so you will have to swap wheels, too). I am fairly certain they are a bolt in swap (someone please correct me if I am wrong). If you don't have access to J20 axles, buy the gearset/locker/LSD that fits your budget and needs for your D44s. Keep in mind almost all FSJ axles were open, so just getting a set of J20 axles under your rig is not going to make it any more off-roadable, it'll just be more reliable with huge tires and lots of torque (huge meaning 36" and bigger). My personal opinion for a rig that is 75% or more street, stick with the D44 (it's lighter) add a LSD to the rear (like a Trutrac) and either a lunchbox locker or a Detroit locker for the front.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• cherokee83
      258 I6
      • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
      When you say "Beef up" Do you mean make it stronger or are you saying you want to add gears/lockers/rear discs?

Dana 44 is relatively stout. You have MMMMAAAANNNNNY options for gears, lockers, and LSDs because they were put in so many rigs. A J20 Dana 60 is inherently stronger but you have to beat on a D44 to really show it's a weakness compared to the J20 D60s.

If you have access to the J20 axles, take them both so you have matching hubs (J20's have the 8 lug wheels so you will have to swap wheels, too). I am fairly certain they are a bolt in swap (someone please correct me if I am wrong). If you don't have access to J20 axles, buy the gearset/locker/LSD that fits your budget and needs for your D44s. Keep in mind almost all FSJ axles were open, so just getting a set of J20 axles under your rig is not going to make it any more off-roadable, it'll just be more reliable with huge tires and lots of torque (huge meaning 36" and bigger). My personal opinion for a rig that is 75% or more street, stick with the D44 (it's lighter) add a LSD to the rear (like a Trutrac) and either a lunchbox locker or a Detroit locker for the front.
      Gears, Lockers, Rear Disc brakes also i was told J20 Diff. has a larger spline 35 front/rear, any information on 35 splines for Dana 44 nevertheless $3,500 in wheels and tires for 6 lugs, is it possible to swap 8 lug J20 to 6 lugs

Comment

• fsj454
        Long time member
        • Jan 02, 2015

jeep dana 60 rear

I put a jeep dana 60 in there rear of my 1982 Cherokee . Must change spring perches to bolt in and use as is. As for the axle splines mine was 30 spline from factory . I put 35 spline alloy axles in rear jeep dana 60 but you will have to ream out spindles to fit larger axles. 8 on 6.5
        Last edited by fsj454; 02-14-2019, 03:37 AM.
        1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

The J20 front is a D44 with larger hubs--they will switch over to 6 lug hubs with the 6 lug caliper brackets. The J20 has 30 splined shafts but the housing is much heavier and stronger than a D44. Note: you can get a few D44 carriers with 33/35 splines.

Comment

Working...
          X