89 Grand- Largest winter tires???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Grand- Largest winter tires???

I've got a stock 89 G.Wagoneer. Stock suspension and wheels. Whats the largest tire size that will fit. Vermont backroad winter and offroad driving can be rough (and fun). Thanks.
  • Dutch
    258 I6
    • Apr 10, 2000

Generally most manufacturers 30-9.50's will fit with no rubbing. It get's just a little dicey with the 31-10.50's. The trouble is that no company has to adhere to a dimension standard. If you place two same-size uninflated tires from different manufacturers side by side they will nearly always be slightly different with extreme examples up to 1.5 inches in height or width.

If it helps, I run Goodrich AT's 30-9.5's with no interference at full articulation. Incidentally, although a terrific tire in dusty/muddy/snowy conditions they are less than ideal when it comes to noise and very dissapointing on rain slick pavement.

Dutch
    \"I ain\'t old...just tired of learning\"<br /><br />\"Jeep gave her life... but Edlebrock raised her\"<br /><br />84 J-10 (body and spirit)<br />89 GWAG (heart and lungs)<br />K&N, MSD, Taylor, Rancho RSX, Goodyear, Carter 4BBL, Edlebrock headers, etc... <br /><br />Man... I just love them stickers.

Comment

• Ralph
      Third Member
      • Apr 11, 2000

I've got stock-size Goodyear Wrangler APT's from NTB/Sears, and they're terrific in bad weather. Also, on a '95 Blazer I drive daily, I've got Michelin XW4 radials, and they're really nice on the highway, but I don't know about winter (maybe because the Blazer is a light, plastic POS SUV that has no traction in snow anyway).
      We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

• okidoc
        258 I6
        • Aug 26, 2000

I run Goodyear Wrangler RT/S 31-10.50 15. I got them at Sam's club for a little over $400. Haven't had much snow(SoCal) but have had zero problems in rain. They do not rub either and I have a slight tail droop I plan on fixin' soon.
        1987 GW 360,727,229.<br />Electric fans, custom console w/two cupholders, custom 6x9 roof mounted speaker boxes. <br />Intimate knowledge of every single nut and bolt on the rig due to mutliple repairs.<br />Why do my cars break down when my wife drives them?

Comment

• okidoc
          258 I6
          • Aug 26, 2000

Oh yeah, stock rims and susp. height. My speedo is only off by about 6-7 mph.
          1987 GW 360,727,229.<br />Electric fans, custom console w/two cupholders, custom 6x9 roof mounted speaker boxes. <br />Intimate knowledge of every single nut and bolt on the rig due to mutliple repairs.<br />Why do my cars break down when my wife drives them?

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
            350 Buick
            • Jul 03, 2000

Okidoc what vehicle do you have?? A late model Grand wag like ASQC or mine? or something that is a widetrac? I have heard that 31's will rub in a grand wag that is narrow trac and doesnt have fender flares.
            PS. A good reason to use the "Signature". This way everyone knows what your running, kinda like the info form ya have to fill out at the doctor's office before ya go in.
            ------------------
            88 Grand Wagoneer
            D44's front\rear
            Warn 20990 Lockouts
            AMC 360
            TF 727
            NP 229 (Funky)
            Custom Hacking Via S.P.A. (Standard Polish Archetecture)

[This message has been edited by ClarkGriswald (edited September 11, 2000).]
            88 Rusting mound
            79 Rusting mound

Comment

• MonsterMash

I run 9.5/30/15 studded tires on my GW in the winter and can still put on chains rather easily if necessary. My tires are some generic Cooper derivative called "Courser" and although "they is loud, they does have gription in alls kinds a' wedder."

------------------
              '84GW360--"Spinner"
              And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.

Comment

• okidoc
                258 I6
                • Aug 26, 2000

Sorry Clark I thought I turned it on when I registered (put the beer down and walk away from the keyboard). I run a regular 87 GW. Maybe I got lucky with my brand of tires, as mentioned it's not a universal sizing system. I went to Sam's and asked if I could test fit the tires. They said sure no problem. Turn front tires lock to lock and articulated as best we could in the shop. We used a little help from the lift. The insurance guys would prob. cow if they new. But, like I said no rubbing and looking good, especially once I throw the Rancho add-a-leafs in.

------------------
                87 GW spankin' new 360
                ??everything else.
                31x10.50 stock rims and height. NO RUB

Comment

Working...
                X