• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justmills79
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 15, 2009

1978 J10 401

Hello all,

I just inhereted my grandfathers Jeep J10, and I was told that this was the best site for insight, and help. Now the story.

It had been sitting inside a garage for a little more then 10 years, with some issue he had known about, but I was never sure what it was. Anyway, I went to pick up the jeep, changed out the oil, checked and bled brake lnes, even had gas and a surrogate tank to flush out the system. While flushing the system out, it seemed the gas was ok, so we gave it a shot using the gas that was already in there. The Jeep fired right up! I couldn't believe it! So, we let it run for a while, put the rest of the "new" gas into the tank, and she just kept running. We tinkered around with a few other things while she was running, after about an hour of running we drove away. Went to the first gas station, turned it off, filled up with gas, and it fired right up again. I proceeded to drive it all the way back to my place, approx 80 miles or so. There are a ton of things I know that need to get done, like, everything pretty much.

The place where I need help, and or advice is this. I got home, and parked it in my driveway, I went out to move it the day after I got it home, and now it has no spark. I have a brand new battery, I completely recharged it, it turns over great, but there is nothing. I pulled the wire from the coil and checked for spark, and there's nothing. Is there anything that could have happened from the time I parked it, in which it was running pretty good, to the next day? Anything that might have stopped due to age, or? I am kind of stumped, especially since it went from running with plenty of power, to no spark the next day. Any advice, or experiences like this? I'm away from home now, but I'll be there next week, just looking for places to start. Thanks.
    1978 Jeep J10
    J20 axles
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Ignition module at the bottom of the steering column inside most likely took a crap. They're cheap and relatively easy to swap out.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• vintagetrks
      304 AMC
      • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Gambler68
      Ignition module at the bottom of the steering column inside most likely took a crap. They're cheap and relatively easy to swap out.
      I thought the ignition module was on the passengers fender well by the battery. Is the another one on the column Ryan?
      New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
      My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
      90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• turtlejoe
        304 AMC
        • Jun 01, 2002

Not familiar with the one Ryan is talking about, but there's also the ignition module on the driver side inner fender, just aft of the cruise module (if you have one). That can be removed and taken to a parts store that tests 'em for free.

I've also heard your symptoms have been caused by a bad distributor pick-up - follow the wires to the dizzy and I think that's where it is.
        Kerry - Raised by Jeep
        "Got Altitude?"
        "Trigger"
        '78 Cherokee Chief WT 33X12.50 BFG A/T's, 15X8 Rockcrawlers, 4" BDS lift, TFI, NOS QT, TH400
        "Sherman"
        1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee, 44HD rear, 4:10's
        "Roxie"
        2004 Rubicon
        "Moose"
        2000 Ford Expedition XLT with 4.6L

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

ah I meant the ign switch module which is a whitish plastic box that plugs into the lower part of the steering column. Basically what it looks like.

Its a common part that fails and will cause a no start problem. But really, on a truck that sat for 10 years and blowing it home at 80mph, any number of electrical faults could have happened. Jump it at the starter solenoid and work your way back if you don't want to try the switch first.
          Last edited by Gambler68; 12-24-2009, 09:28 PM.
          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
            Señor Jackhead
            • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by vintagetrks
            I thought the ignition module was on the passengers fender well by the battery. Is the another one on the column Ryan?
            The Prestolite for 75-77 is on the right fender well and the Duraspark for 78-91 is on left fender well.

I would also check the Duraspark module. As for the ignition switch, those can fry if you have had any unprotected short circuits. In 32 years, that is very possible.

Congrats on the family heirloom!
            Last edited by fulsizjeep; 12-25-2009, 02:31 AM.
            Flint
            Ran when parked.
            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
              GrimJeeperReaper
              • Jul 08, 2002

Ditto on the above, I would also suggest you post up pic's and if anyone hasn't said it yet...YOU SUCK!!!

Oh btw, Merry Christmas....
              1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• timmy401
                232 I6
                • Jan 15, 2007

No spark-

I have a Haynes manual and it has step-by-step, how to check (troubleshooting). Don't be to quick to start buying ignition modules, check the basic stuff first. Cap, rotor.... Where do you have no spark? @coil? @plugwires? Don't forget to check all connections @ the distributor and mudule. Alot of times replacing a part fixes it because a connection was bad not the part. Could also be a bad coil or connections @ the coil. Your wallet will thank you for diagnosing insted of parts throwing. Check the distributor rotor and coil wire first and good luck.
                1975 J20 360-4spd
                1973 Wagoneer 360-AT
                1975 AMC Gremlin 401-AT

Comment

• lkmarsh
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 21, 2008

First things first. The thing on the pass fender is a starter solenoid, they get old and quit, new ones often don't work. Gambler's pic is the ignition switch, middle of the steering column, two flavors, one for tilt, one for non-tilt, look for dirty or melted contacts and terminals. At the bottom of the column, if you have a column-shift auto trans, is a curved switch, the neutral safety switch, same problems as ignition switch, also they get out of adjustment. Floor shifters have the NSS on them. Bad luck having wiring trouble so soon, but that's the nature of these beasts! Test light, VOM, wiring diagrams are all must-haves. Someone here has a link to online schematics. Happy Hunting and Merry Christmas!

(...happy holidays my a...)
                  Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
                  69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
                  68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
                  68 Impala wagon 327/400
                  73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
                  04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                  73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• will e
                    Always Broke
                    • Nov 16, 2001

Welcome aboard.

You can check that the ignition module is getting power when the key is on by pulling the connector and using a volt meter..

ANd post up some pics!

Note to Gamber... he drove 80 miles, not drove 80mph.
                    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

he drove 80 mph in low range?

oh, never mind, that was Sean...
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                        • Mar 20, 2005

At least it died in the driveway.

But that will be the last time you'll get so lucky.

X2 on checking the ignition switch (under dash one). I've had the same problem with mine.
                        Ethan Brady
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• jaber
                          Dragin Az
                          • Oct 17, 2003

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects......

What year is your truck?
                          We need pics also, because....

Jeff

'43 cj2a
                          '51 Willys p/u
                          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                          '68 Panel Delivery
                          '74 CJ5
                          '75 J-20 Wrecker
                          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                          '77 J-10 p/u
                          '79 Cherokee
                          '88 Grand Wagoneer
                          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• x6xdemonx6x
                            327 Rambler
                            • Dec 12, 2009

I have a similar problem where the jeep would die or not start just turn over turned out to a be a hot wire that was hitting a ground causeing power to the coil but nothing comeing out of the coil.
                            FREE 91 grand wagoneer 360 2barrel 4" lift 31" tires rebuilt tranny and tcase dana 44 front and rear
                            TFI upgrade

Comment

• justmills79
                              230 Tornado
                              • Oct 15, 2009

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the places to start. I'm home now, and am going to start knocking these out one by one. I'll be posting up pics shortly, as soon as I get the beast running.

Thanks again!
                              1978 Jeep J10
                              J20 axles

Comment

Working...
                              X