• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conehead
    232 I6
    • Apr 24, 2006

new jeep truck commercial

I wonder who was the genius in marketing that told Fiat that destroying a classic Jeep Truck would attract potential Jeep buyers? The only way I'd be interested in buying one would be if they ran the commercial backwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naq2yFTwA_c
  • Wagoneer Taylor
    258 I6
    • Dec 17, 2018

Wow they didn't even put a disclaimer that "No original Gladiators were harmed in the filming of this commercial".

I could have gotten on board with the new truck if it was an actual two door truck and not this chevy avalanche looking thing.
    Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
    Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
    PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
    "Soon" is a relative term.
    Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• Towtruck
      350 Buick
      • Oct 11, 2001

Resurrection of the name Gladiator just bumped the value of J trucks. Small price to pay.
      J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• 81jseries
        232 I6
        • Aug 31, 2001

Disgusting. Looked straight and not much rust
        67 wagoneer - GTO 389 & 4spd

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
          350 Buick
          • Jul 09, 2009

(Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• 2ToneBluJ10
            327 Rambler
            • Feb 16, 2009

The instrument cluster wasn't Gladiator. The fuel filler bezel was last generation also. So not an original. Still makes me sick seeing kittens getting killed.
            Dave

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

This saddens me tremendously even though it seems to be a later model disguised as an older one.
              '72 J4500

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                Shakes hands with danger
                • Jul 01, 2012

Meh. Advertisers seem to see some value in being provocative. They'll do whatever it takes to get your attention. The fact that we are all standing around discussing it means that FCA is getting their money's worth on their advertising campaign.

This was a later model J-truck hastily gussied up to look like an early Gladiator. I imagine it was rotten in a few places and probably headed for the wrecking yard anyway.

We can all complain it being crushed, but assuming it was rough enough to be on its way to the JY, the real question is how many of us would actually have blown the cobwebs off our wallets and bought that truck.
                '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Jenga77
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 16, 2014

I feel like a lot of us would have jumped in and bought it if it meant saving it from being crushed. Even if it ended up just being parted out it's still better than just throwing everything away. How many rhino grilles are still out there?

I've run into a lot of people discussing this commercial and the best explanation I saw is that people like us aren't the target market for the new Gladiator. Jeep loves to capitalize on the image we bring to the brand by fixing things up ourselves, customizing, and keeping the old rigs running long after they should have returned to the earth, but the fact of the matter is we're not likely to run out and buy new Jeeps right off the lot, so they don't really care about us when it comes to a new vehicle being introduced.

This commercial which is deeply offending Jeep purists but getting a bunch of attention for their new vehicle launch just shows that clearly, as does the pricing for the new truck. Business is business, and Jeep is no different from any other major car manufacturer, despite any claims about heritage or tradition.

For us, it's really all gravy as the renewed attention on Jeep trucks can only increase the value of ours. Plus there's now one less of them! (I'm being sarcastic there).
                  --------------------
                  77 J10 - 360, T18, Dana 20, J20 Axles

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                    Shakes hands with danger
                    • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Jenga77
                    ...people like us aren't the target market for the new Gladiator. Jeep loves to capitalize on the image we bring to the brand...
                    BINGO.

Unless we are buying and driving their current products, our opinion is of no interest to anyone at Jeep, or Chrysler, or whoever owns Chrysler this week.
                    '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                    High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Jenga77
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 16, 2014

Very disappointing, but true.

As far as the new truck I'm not super impressed. Seems more like a reboot of the Scrambler than the Gladiator to me, seeing as it's really the same size as a wrangler. I really wish they had used the grille from the Nukizer concept from a few years ago too, especially since they named it Gladiator. They missed a real opportunity to make something unique there. Maybe somebody will come up with something in the aftermarket.

Overall the truck looks kind of weirdly proportioned to me too, but a lift kit might help that.
                      --------------------
                      77 J10 - 360, T18, Dana 20, J20 Axles

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Chryco/Fiat.
                        Save Corp/stock holders a bunch of money and resulting in a ton of po'd dealers and customers. Regurgitating old model names is just lame marketing fluff.
                        Please sell the brand name/rights to an outfit that gets what a Jeep is supposed to be...please.
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

one of the most disturbing things to me about that commercial is the weird Christine type vibe where the truck comes to life. Someone should show a continuation of it where the new "Gladiator" attacks and kills the junk yard employees trying to crush it.

The biggest problem I have with the "truck" itself is it doesn't even give the slightest nod to the real Gladiator. Doing the concept grill would have gone a long way towards my willingness to accept it.

As far as target audience, when I bought my truck I was actually looking at brand new trucks when I bought my old one but I couldn't find anything that I liked. Today there are several options that would have met my requirements but the new "Gladiator" doesn't. I hate 4 door trucks and have no use for one so that right there is a non starter because the "Gladiator" is not offered with only 2 doors. Another thing is since I bought my truck and rebuilt the engine I have saved the equivalent of more than $12,000 in what would have been paid on a brand new truck, not to mention the crazy ST3 tax here on newer vehicles. $6,000 a year in car payment savings allows me to customize my old vehicle and I have exactly what I want not some package the manufacturer requires me to get in order to get one or 2 things out of it I want.
                          '72 J4500

Comment

• SJTD
                            304 AMC
                            • Apr 26, 2012

And it won't even carry a sheet of plywood on the floor. Some truck.
                            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Probesport
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 15, 2015

Damn. That's poor form.

I intentionally went from a TJ to my Waggy because I wanted something bigger and disapprove of the 4 door Wranglers....
                              Ken S.
                              Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              Megasquirt EFI
                              : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                              Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                              Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

Working...
                              X