International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM

(Not So) New 86 Grand Wagoneer

I recently purchased an 86 Grand Wagoneer as my new winter vehicle for $1000, and it runs and drives very well... for the most part. The amount of redneck engineering on this car is staggering! I have a few issues I wanted to ask about.

1. Engine hesitates when cold. I have to let it idle for 5-10 minutes before this goes away. Otherwise I have to be careful not to stall the engine. After purchasing a Haynes manual, I figured it was the CTO switch. I went to check and instead of a CTO, there is a bolt where the CTO should be and a bunch of plugged vacuum lines. Ordered a new CTO from Team Grand Wagoneer. If that doesn't fix it, what else could it be?

2. Fuel gauge doesn't work. It used to say full all of the time, but then I found an unplugged wire by the tank. Plugged it in, now it says empty all the time and the low fuel light is always on.

3. Body is very rusty. I would have to replace all fenders and quarters and rockers and tailgate, maybe even a door or two to get rid of most of the rust. On top of that, the back 1/3 of the frame is pretty rusty. Would I be better off to just leave it as is and hope to find a good body with a bad motor one day or is repairing a frame worth the effort?

4. The only thing that works is the defroster. AC doesn't work, and no other heat settings work. What might be the cause of this?

5. Steering wheel is very loose where the tilt is. Easy fix or do I have to replace the steering column?

6. Cruise control doesn't work, fog lights don't work, and if my hi-beams work, I haven't figured out how to turn them on yet. I ordered a fog light relay from Team Grand Wagoneer cuz it was $5 and I figured it would be worth the try.

7. I am on the verge of ripping out every piece of emissions crap out from under the hood. It robs you of power, looks hideous under the hood, and most of it probably doesn't work anyways. It also makes working on the engine a real pain. What all can go and what needs to stay? I don't want to rip something out on accident thinking it's just part of the emissions system and find out it was actually important.

So that's what I'm trying to figure out now. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. That being said, I absolutely love this Wagoneer! It's big, practical, awesome looking, and definitely the only one in town! Once I am out of college I plan on getting a more respectable one or fully restoring this one.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion1188
I recently purchased an 86 Grand Wagoneer as my new winter vehicle for $1000, and it runs and drives very well... for the most part.
Translation: it'll run...sorta.

I'd guess a majority of your issues are vacuum related. Start with http://oljeep.com/ and study the vac and electrics diagrams.
Regarding your listed issues:
1.Is your choke set up correctly?
2. When you ground the wire(key ON) from the gauge to sender and gauge reads full, gauge is ok so it's the sender gone south(common issue). Since it read full before removing the wire from the sender, check the wire for shorting to ground somewhere en route.
3.If you're considering a full resto or even making it pretty nice, I'd bail out and start with one in better condition. Do check carefully the frame and gas tank mount. That thing that looks like a skid plate is what actually holds the fuel tank up under the car. It's also a great collector for mud, rock salt slush. Common in the rust belt to destroy the frame behind it.
4.AC and heat/def systems are separate systems but the vac lines that operate the heat/def door motors via the dash switches are known to dry out/rot and leak. check replace the vac lines to the motors and from the vac reservoir in the eng bay
5. ?
6. I'd start with the vacuum hoses of the CC system.
7. I don't suggest ripping anything out just cause it's ugly or you don't understand it's function or you"think" it robs power. Sounds like that's how the PO got you into this mess in the first place. I'll bet you also have or will have vacuum issues regarding transfercase operation.

If you were looking for a project rig to spend time and money on, I'd say mission accomplished. Personally I'd write it off as a loss/parts rig and get a better Wag. Good luck.

Last edited by joe : 12-03-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Grease Monkey

Congrats on the new (to you) purchase.

86 is the best year of FSJ because of the rarity of the transfer case

It sounds as if your rig was "upgraded" in the traditional manner by the previous owner.
You can focus on removing these upgrades one at a time, or you can just get it on the road and drive it for the winter, find out what really bothers you and what you need to focus on, before tearing it apart when the snow starts falling and you really need it.

Search the Oljeep archives for the vac and electrical diagrams.

I found a nice mouse nest in my HVAC passages that kept my system from working, you may want to check that yours are clear.

Have fun with your project.

Capdaddy
33x12.5x15" tires
"Shaggy" the Waggy
Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
7. I don't suggest ripping anything out just cause it's ugly or you don't understand it's function or you"think" it robs power. Sounds like that's how the PO got you into this mess in the first place.

Good advice there. Replace all the vac lines first. They're just standard vacuum tubing you can get at the local parts store.

No need to buy some online store's vacuum "restoration" "kit".

Leave all your emissions equipment in place. It's not robbing any power. If you doubt that, remove the belt on your air pump. Now, spin the pump by hand. If not seized up and broken, it should spin effortlessly. It's not sucking any noticeable power from your engine.

Besides, if you ever get E-testing or move to an area with e-testing, leaving all that stuff will make your life easier.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

#5) most likely the usual loose torx bolts under the pivot in the column
(30 seconds to fix, 3 hours getting to them and getting everything put back)
Do a search very common issue. (zero cost in $'s if you have the tools )

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Translation: it'll run...sorta.

I'd guess a majority of your issues are vacuum related. Start with http://oljeep.com/ and study the vac and electrics diagrams.
Regarding your listed issues:
1.Is your choke set up correctly?
2. When you ground the wire(key ON) from the gauge to sender and gauge reads full, gauge is ok so it's the sender gone south(common issue). Since it read full before removing the wire from the sender, check the wire for shorting to ground somewhere en route.
3.If you're considering a full resto or even making it pretty nice, I'd bail out and start with one in better condition. Do check carefully the frame and gas tank mount. That thing that looks like a skid plate is what actually holds the fuel tank up under the car. It's also a great collector for mud, rock salt slush. Common in the rust belt to destroy the frame behind it.
4.AC and heat/def systems are separate systems but the vac lines that operate the heat/def door motors via the dash switches are known to dry out/rot and leak. check replace the vac lines to the motors and from the vac reservoir in the eng bay
5. ?
6. I'd start with the vacuum hoses of the CC system.
7. I don't suggest ripping anything out just cause it's ugly or you don't understand it's function or you"think" it robs power. Sounds like that's how the PO got you into this mess in the first place. I'll bet you also have or will have vacuum issues regarding transfercase operation.

If you were looking for a project rig to spend time and money on, I'd say mission accomplished. Personally I'd write it off as a loss/parts rig and get a better Wag. Good luck.

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
And the other stuff that gets driven
----------------------------------------

Last edited by mdill : 12-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM

I would think anything as rusty as you described would be better off as parts or a beater driver till a better body comes along. Unless its super rare, there are plenty to be found cheap enough.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM

Well like I said it was $1000, and the guy was originally asking
$2100, so I wasn't expecting anything to be perfect. I'm pretty sure I'll drive this for the next few years til I finish my masters degree and can afford a good one. I've only had this car for a month and I've already decided I never want to not have a wagoneer. I'm not looking to pour money into this car, but certain things need to be fixed in the meantime, like the cold engine hesitation and the broken sending unit.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
350 Buick

Welcome

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/steering/column.html

Link to steering column repair

Enjoy your new ride!
'78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
"90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
'78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM

I printed out the vacuum diagram from oljeep.com and I plan on basically ripping out all of my vacuum lines and replacing them according to the diagram while I am home over winter break. Any idea how many feet of vac line I will need?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Here is a photo of my Wagoneer. Nothing special really. This was after I spent all day replacing rotors, pads, drums, shoes, and tires.

http://s1171.beta.photobucket.com/user/Orion1188/media/wagoneer.jpg.html#/user/Orion1188/media/wagoneer.jpg.html?&_suid=1354654728582026375902140 36944