Map Dome Light -- Wiring as a rear light in Cherokee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmorit01
    350 Buick
    • Nov 13, 2004

Map Dome Light -- Wiring as a rear light in Cherokee?

I installed a "front" map/dome light into the rear of my cherokee. However, when I switch the lights on I get the following behavior.

Any help or do I need to wire differently?

Dome light with out map lights -- full brightness
    One map light on with dome light -- full brightness

Both map lights on with dome light (dome can be on or off) - both map lights at half brightness.

How do I get both map lights to be full brightness when turned on?

Appreciate any insights on this one?

Thanks- Bob

[ July 21, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: rmorit01 ]
    79 Cherokee S
  • Spectre
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 26, 2004

You would have to wire each light separately to 12V. This is more or less normal for the Ford dome light assembly.
    "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• rmorit01
      350 Buick
      • Nov 13, 2004

Originally posted by Spectre:
      You would have to wire each light separately to 12V. This is more or less normal for the Ford dome light assembly.
      That is what has me confused -- if these lights only have two connections (+12V and a ground) -- why would the front work any differently than the rear?

My front dome/map light will provide "full brightness" with both map lights and it only has the two connections going to the dome light.

Again, would appreciate any insight into this --

Thanks -
      79 Cherokee S

Comment

• Shaggin' Wagon
        360 AMC
        • Nov 08, 2001

It was a few years ago when I did mine but I don't recall having to do anything special. Thought I just wired it straight in...
        "I am just a simple caveman. Your strange ways frighten and confuse me."

Keith Brunson

91 Grand Wagoneer
        05 Z71 Suburban
        05 GMC Crew Cab
        Various WMDs

Comment

• Jayrodoh
          360 AMC
          • Sep 07, 2004

There is actually three connections. One hot all the time wire, one grounded wire when the doors are open, and the ground when it is screwed to the roof. Try reversing the two wires and bolt it up. I just did this and it required no wiring.
          Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

Working...
          X