• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Waggymcgee
    232 I6
    • Oct 19, 2020

Jeep wave - myth??

Is this really a thing? I have only owned a Jeep for 5 months but I have yet to to witness the alleged wave. I see jeeps with Hand wave stickers on them. Having owned a 66 VW bus and a Harley, they are all about the neighborly gestures. Maybe Washington is just lame although there’s a million jeeps up here. Is it just an old school thing?
    Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I think there's so many yuppies buying Jeeps that it doesn't seem to happen much but the guys that waved ten years ago prolly still do. I do.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• madmikeX3
      258 I6
      • Jul 23, 2009

Seems like SJTD has it right. A lot of people out there buying Jeeps who may not know about it. Ive always waved and still do.
      Just Empty Every Pocket
      1980 Jeep Cherokee W/T
      Nice Jeep Bro!!!! Do some Jeep Stuff!!!!.

Comment

• iapexl8r
        232 I6
        • Jul 06, 2018

I have an old cherokee cheif that never gets the jeep wave.. but my daily is a new gladiator.... My arm gets sore from all the waving, go figure. I guess the jeep wave thing is just for the JK and JL crowd.
        1976 Cherokee chief
        1970 AMC rebel THE MACHINE
        1969 AMX
        1965 mustang fastback
        1972 international travelette
        Yes I have a problem that?s why Iam here

Comment

Back in the day, the CJ wave was pretty universal, seems to have carried over to the newer versions. Us SJ folks kind of got left out. But among us, still common, as it is with the XJ crowd.
          Art
          ASE Master Collision Tech
          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• oregonphil
            232 I6
            • Oct 17, 2020

Kerry, ditto with the old VW 57 van and 76 HD, the old Jeeps are an exclusive club I guess.
            OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
            72 Commando 304
            07 Toyota Sienna
            76 HD FLH

Comment

• Waggymcgee
              232 I6
              • Oct 19, 2020

Nice Phil! I lived in Eugene with the bus (21 window rag top), got lots of love around those parts. Country fair and all. The bus is still there with my ex. Grumble grumble. Lol. It was clearly just a stepping stone to fsjeeps and this forum
              Kerry (she)

85 GW w/ HD tow pkg

Comment

• mwood65
                258 I6
                • Jul 17, 2017

Personally I have seen Bigfoot more times around here than Jeep waves.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

I get a very occasional VERY ENTHUSIASTIC Jeep wave. More like a "HOLY $#!+ A Wagoneer!!!" (even though I don't have a Wagoneer). I get more from CJs, YJs, and XJs then I do TJ, JK, JL, or JT.

Jeep wave etiquette is the newer Jeep waves first. Most open top Jeepers will say the Jeep wave is more for open top Jeeps and excludes XJ, non JK/JL/JT Fiat Jeeps (Renegades, Compasses, etc.). I don't think there is a general consensus on Jeeps like FSJs or the old school Commandos.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• conehead
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 24, 2006

Back in the 60's, 70's and 80's it was very common with the CJ's but now Jeep isn't Jeep anymore it's just another cookie cutter car company and nobody cares.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

If I meet a FSJ on the road, I always wave. No matter what I'm driving. Some look at me in the KIA and probably wonder if I'm a stalker. If I am in a FSJ and a CJer waves, I wave back. Do the other models really count?
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                        258 I6
                        • Jun 11, 2017

I get the odd wave here in the UK when driving my XJ, but not very often at all.

Most Jeepers over here have no idea what my Grand Wagoneer is though, and I seem to get totally ignored by Wrangler owners. I usually give them a thumbs up.

Strangely though, I have had a few Jeep people go absolutely mad for it, but not who you'd expect. It's usually been somebody driving either a new Renegade or a Liberty.
                        One woman in a Renegade basically stopped in the middle of the road to give me a giant thumbs up, she seemed ridiculously excited!
                        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• johnsonic
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 12, 2015

It was still a thing when I had my 1st SJ in 99. Now, not so much unless I'm passing another FSJ - then we both freak the hell out. Not so much a wave as a full body reaction.

Don't know if the yuppie / soccer mom / bro-tractor crowd know about the wave.
                          1984 GW
                          Comp 260H
                          Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
                          Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
                          Performer Intake
                          Holley SA 670
                          MSD 8523
                          Dakota Digital custom cluster
                          Serehill headlamp harness
                          NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
                          ...but the parts live on

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
                            Strangely though, I have had a few Jeep people go absolutely mad for it...
                            Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                            If I meet a FSJ on the road, I always wave. No matter what I'm driving. ... If I am in a FSJ and a CJer waves, I wave back...
                            Originally posted by johnsonic
                            ... unless I'm passing another FSJ - then we both freak the hell out. Not so much a wave as a full body reaction.
                            EXACTLY!!! If I see another FSJ (whether I am in my super turd or not) I freak the hell out, too!! I just think there are so few of them around any more and they are so unique.

I have a buddy that was a CJ-2A, then CJ-5 guy that daily drove them for 30 years he said
                            Originally posted by Hardcore CJ Buddy
                            Jeep wave is more about the acknowledgement of what it's like to drive a little Jeep. They are slow, cold, bounce around, unreliable, miserable on the highway but nothing beats them. The Jeep wave should really be CJ to CJ. When CJ7 came out, we all ignored them like TJ guys ignore XJ guys today because CJ7 guys 'didn't get it' like we did. Then after a while, it was 'don't Jeep wave unless it's a Kaiser/AMC Jeep, these MOPAR Jeeps aren't really Jeeps'. Now you hear XJ guys saying "I ain't Jeep waiving to no Fiat!!'. The bar is always moving.
                            For the record, the air cooled VW guys have a wave, too. So do Harley guys. So do Indian guys. If someone waves to me, I will wave back, even if they are driving a KIA or Mazda or FC-150 or Fiat, and I always wave to CJs and Commandos. BUT I will ignore any Honda Ridgeline that waves. You have to draw a line somewhere. I mean, you have to have SOME dignity...right?
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Crankyolman
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 27, 2017

I get a lot more thumbs up than waves...In fact I can only recall getting a proper Jeep wave once when someone in a 2nd gen Cherokee rolled down his window and stuck his arm out into the cold rain to wave.

On some show on TV I watched once they said the lesser vehicle is required to wave first and since I view any FSJ as the superior vehicle over anything newer I never wave at a newer Jeeps first. I will wave at the occasional FSJ or anybody who gives me a thumbs up.
                              '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                              X