Looking for timing cover. Do u all trust cover from BJs $250. thx
    88 GW hei E-fuel pump 360 rebuilt- rv cam
  • FSJunkie
    The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
    • Jan 09, 2011

I buy Bulltear.

I trust my eyes and my measurements
    '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
      350 Buick
      • Feb 15, 2010

I thought I read that bulltear was the same cover but they checked it over to make sure they were good?

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
        I thought I read that bulltear was the same cover but they checked it over to make sure they were good?
        What I gather (from here?) is that BullTear has a jig that tests for alignment. They reject the out-of-spec parts. See if you can contact them before you buy - they have a reputation for not responding.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Personally I only trust oem used covers.
          They can be refurbed.
          I've never seen anyone have a problem with eating cam/distributor gears.
          Many have had issues with new aftermarket covers eating gears, poor fit, leaks.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SC/397
            Administrator
            • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by redwoody
            Looking for timing cover. Do u all trust cover from BJs $250. thx

Do you still have your stock one? If so, why don't you want to use it?
            This post tells you what to look for in the after market timing covers.

With a few frozen water pump bolts, I get the sinking feeling that I may wind up with the timing cover off the vehicle in the next year or so. Thinking ahead... What do I need to look out for on the timing cover as far as needing to repair / replace it while it's off? Summit Racing sells two different covers, both with
            The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
              350 Buick
              • Jul 09, 2009

I had a Bulltear cover on my last 360, and within 500 miles I had to take it off to replace a distributor gear.
              I also thought that BT had better Timing Covers?
              The reason for the new cover is that my old one had a coolant leak. Of course rick, ristow, and tony all said to rebuild my old cover but I did not listen, and had good luck in the past with BT.

SC397 & Ristow have done stellar writeups on rebuilding your TC.

Here is the BT cover I have.

Looks pretty huh?
              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• fsj454
                Long time member
                • Jan 02, 2015

After market

I purchased a after market cover and it was junk so put it on the shelf 200.00 bucks down the drain .
                1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                  I had a Bulltear cover on my last 360, and within 500 miles I had to take it off to replace a distributor gear.
                  I also thought that BT had better Timing Covers?
                  The reason for the new cover is that my old one had a coolant leak. Of course rick, ristow, and tony all said to rebuild my old cover but I did not listen, and had good luck in the past with BT.

SC397 & Ristow have done stellar writeups on rebuilding your TC.

Here is the BT cover I have.

Looks pretty huh?

No, it doesn't look pretty to me.. I (and Matt Bulltear) hate that giant chamfer right where it don't belong around the inside of the oil pump cavity.

Give me a greasy grimy one from the 60's or '70's any day.
                  The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• redwoody
                    232 I6
                    • May 16, 2010

Originally posted by SC/397
                    Do you still have your stock one? If so, why don't you want to use it?
                    This post tells you what to look for in the after market timing covers.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...11#post1678711
                    My builder is not willing to guarantee oil pump. He sees a bit of wear grooves. Don't know his source for cover but he quoted me $380. thx for site. what is clearance of gears to sidewall of pump?
                    Last edited by redwoody; 04-04-2019, 02:34 PM.
                    88 GW hei E-fuel pump 360 rebuilt- rv cam

Comment

• Curly5759
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 08, 2015

I bought a BJ's cover hoping to improve my hot oil psi @ idle. New cover and gears and mid-plate. I measures side clearance and plastigaged the new cover with gears. I got the same measurements I had on the old cover. Same Oil Psi as well.

The cover fit fine and the leak from the oil pump bolts has stopped with the new cover. My hot oil psi @idle is just under 10 psi, measured with an aftermarket electric gauge and verified with a mechanical gauge. No noise, I just don't like it. I've bumped the idle a bit to compensate.
                      77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by redwoody
                        My builder is not willing to guarantee oil pump. He sees a bit of wear grooves. Don't know his source for cover but he quoted me $380. thx for site. what is clearance of gears to sidewall of pump?
                        oljeep.com has manuals all oil pump info specs. are in there.

I would encourage you gather info. and bring it to your builder.
                        Specifically the timing cover refurb. threads by Ristow & SC/397.
                        Also be a good idea to do the same with timing chain gear issues/resolutions by SC/397.

There is more to check than just slapping a $380 cover on it.

As said by several I'd stick with your original or a used OEM.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJunkie
                          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                          • Jan 09, 2011

Any timing cover should be checked for oil pump shaft and distributor gear alignment along with oil pump gear clearance checks.

I use gear marking compound on the distributor gear to see the mesh pattern just like checking the pattern on a ring and pinion gear set. Distributors can be shimmed up and down as needed to correct the mesh.

90% of AMC distributor gear failure is caused by improper machining of the oil passaged in the camshaft driven sprocket. Those should always be checked too.

Do those things and AMC distributor gears last longer than on most of the engines made by other manufacturers of the times.
                          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
                          X