• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

rang-a-stang's summer project/build

OK here we go! I passed CA smog on Friday the 4th of May which means its time for me to start my summer project.

Plans:
    I have tons of little plans that will go into this but here are the high level requirements:
    -Engine rebuild: My 401 is going to have the compression bumped up to 9.5:1, the bottom end will be balanced, and a new cam installed. Don't get sick but I plan to only clean my heads this time around and put new Comp Cams springs on. I don't have the money to do the heads right now and I they are pretty solid so that's where they stay.
    -TBI: I am installing a DIY TBI injection modeled after the Howell kit but will allow my computer to control my timing and EGR. Both timing and EGR control will be stealthy and look like they are being controlled like the Howell kit.
    -Electric fans: Doing the Contour fan install
    -Serpentine Belt: WesDog gave me a serpentine belt kit so it's going on.
    -Re-wire my entire front end: My wiring is in pretty good shape but since I am adding the TBI, a CS130 105amp alternator, and electric fans, I am also going to put my headlights on relays and add a couple fuse blocks. Also adding a pair of offroad lights to my bumper (again, because I have them).
    -Clean my engine bay: Previous owner wrecked my truck in the front passenger side. He swapped parts from a blue rig so I have one yellow inner fender, a blue inner fender, and a blue core support. I am going to re-paint my firewall factory saxon yellow, but the fenders and core support will be satin black.
    -Fix all my leaks: my trans leaks from somewhere. Bad. So it's coming out and getting re-sealed. Same with my Xfer case.
    -Paint my dash and steering column: since I am taking out my dash to properly mount and wire my TBI computer, I am going to paint it, install a factory AM radio, and install an indicator and control panel in my glovebox.
    -replace the windshield: mine's cracked. I have another windshield from a donor that will go in.
    -clean up my brake and trans cooler lines: I had to replace my front hard brake lines recently and put them in "good enough" But now that my front clip is off, I am going to do a much nicer job on them. I am going to mount a separate trans cooler while I am at it.

Schedule:
    -I hope to be done before Christmas.
    Last edited by rang-a-stang; 09-12-2018, 01:41 PM.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

OK, day 1:
    Pulled the front clip. I didn't have ANY rusted or seized hardware. Taking the clip off was pretty straight forward. Was also stoked not to find any cancer hiding behind or under anything.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

oops, hit post to soon:

The more I tinker on this, the more I curse the previous owner. Notice my side marker lights don't match. I have had this thing for over 2 years and just noticed it.

I knew he had bondo'ed over the gap between the fender and the core support but I assumed he did it so it would look cleaner; I used to see that in the 90's all the time. But after I finished pulling all the hardware, they still wouldn't separate so I took a wire wheel and ground the bondo off to discover a giant weld blob. Awesome. Thanks dude. The other side just had a light tack weld on it.

I pulled out a 4" grinder and was able to get them apart without much drama. Luckily I have a spare core support from a 77. I can't just swap them becuase the brackets are different between a razor and a pignose but I'll figure something out when I am putting it back together.

After these pics were taken I pressure washed the front, disassembled the front end for storage, and pushed my Jeep into the garage. Tonight I hope to remove all the engine front dress, timing chain cover, and manifolds. I really want to drop my block/crank/rods off at the machine shop this weekend. Shop says they will need a few months to get the work done so the sooner I get it there the better.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• nightglide
        232 I6
        • Jan 06, 2015

I have some late 71' heads......apparently these are the ones to have.
        #3212993-1
        I'll let go for a reasonable price.........

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by nightglide
          I have some late 71' heads......apparently these are the ones to have.
          #3212993-1
          I'll let go for a reasonable price.........
          Hm. I'll PM you.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Had a good hour to work tonight. got all the front dress off, the intake, and the exhaust manifolds are loose. Sure is easier to work on when there is no fenders/rad support in the way. Had to stop becuase I do not have the correct puller for the balancer.

Dizzy gear has very light, very normal wear. I think it's good enough to re-use. We'll see what the cam side looks like tomorrow (Hopefully).
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

Blazing through, I see
              -Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                Hm. I'll PM you.
                Another set of heads and you may as well go through them before installing.

One day into it and already the budget is out the window!
                Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Yay! Engine is out!

First the good. Since this engine was swapped in before I bought it, I wasn't sure how well the swap was done. It does look like they installed a 401 balancer and flexplate so that was a relief. Balancer seems solid and ready for re-use so it will be cleaned and painted. I had budgeted $115 for a rebuilt balancer so that was nice to save some $$.

Cam gear again looks good and re-useable

I was surprised at how little wear there was on my oil pump housing. My oil pressure was really low (one of the biggest reasons this project is happening) and I expected significant wear but there was really only VERY light scratches. They do not catch a finger nail. This will be lapped like in Ristow's thread and the Bulltear midplate put in (just for longetivity).

I actually appreciated this. My timing chain has a solid 1" of play. Maybe more. The picture actually makes it look better than it really is. It is TOAST!! HAHA! Makes me feel better about pulling this engine apart. I had expected to replace these anyway so it was just a little validation.

Can anyone tell by the markings, is this a factory set?

Once I set it on the floor I noticed cylinder 1, 2, 7, and 8 all have a white chalky look to the exhuast ports. I am assuming that means I was running really lean? Anyone know?

I didn't realize I took this picture until I was loading them on my laptop to post them. I think its actually a super cool picture.

Tomorrow I have plans so no wrenching. Thursday I hope to tear the engine down to the block, so I can drop it and the rotating assembly off at the Machine shop Saturday morning. Shop says it will take at least a month (up to 3 months) for them to do their work so the sooner I get it there, the better. Plus, I will be out of town for the next 2 weeks so I wanted to make sure, that time is well used by the Machinist.
                  Last edited by rang-a-stang; 05-09-2018, 08:54 AM.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rscott2214
                    230 Tornado
                    • Apr 18, 2017

Looks great so far. As you know I am wanting to rebuild the extra 360 that I just got for $50!! Might have to do my research and get a build thread going when I get home! Good luck.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                      Señor Jackhead
                      • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                      Can anyone tell by the markings, is this a factory set?
                      Factory timing chain sets did not come in double roller style like what you have. The gears had straight cut teeth. Most AMC V8s came from the factory with nylon/teflon teeth on the big gear. That made them run quieter.

FYI on the heads, #3212993-1 is better than stock mainly because they don't use bridged rockers. The even more desirable dogleg head is the late 70 Machine 390 and early 71 401 head, #3196291.
                      Flint
                      Ran when parked.
                      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

This morning I had about 5 mins to kill waiting on my son to get ready for school so I pulled my valve covers. I do not have bridged rockers and my casting numbers are 3216090-1 (I'll post pics tonight). Looking around it seems like these are run-o-the-mill heads. I don't see a lot of info on them on the interwebz. What do you guys know about them?
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Finished short block tear down tonight. Mostly good discoveries:
                          I was hoping I would be able to determine what year my block is but nope. The reference I found said this casting number was used from 71-78.

Figured out where all my oil pressure was going. My bearings are worn, but very evenly, no scratches, and no abnormal heat marks. I'm pretty sure these are the factory bearings. The condition of these bearings is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I didn't pull my mains this time but I did a year and a half ago they looked like these rod bearings.

The lifters looked AWESOME. There is almost no wear on them. The cam looked super good, too. Lifters are going in the trash but there is life left in the cam. I'll put it up for sale (cheap) in the classifieds.

The Bores look AWESOME. Like SUPER awesome! NO SCRATCHES, there was no ridge, etc. I have not measured for taper but I seriously doubt it's out of spec.

The only thing that sucks is there is serious rust and scale in the cooling passages. I am surprised I didn't overheat looking at some of these passages.

I didn't spend alot of time looking my heads over. I noticed there was no wear on the top of the valve stems. I did notice that my rockers are held down with two different types of nuts. I don't think it's an issue just curious.

Engine gets dropped off at the Machine Shop on Saturday morning. I don't plan to do any more work on it (except I have to press the pins out of the rods) for a few weeks because of my work schedule. When I do get to work on it again, I will be focusing on my chassis. I have a slight bend in my frame horn that has to get straightened, I am going to do a better job welding my front spring mounts, weld and gusset the rear spring hangers, and a bunch of other little odds and ends. Then out comes the trans. sigh... so much to do. Wife hates it when I spend hours in the garage so I have to do this in bite size chunks.
                          Last edited by rang-a-stang; 05-12-2018, 08:46 AM.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 25, 2016

dang, !!!!

great progress !

nice improvements that you have planned.

old yellow will have a new lease on life after this !

dave in NC
                            SOLSAKS - dave
                            1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                            1982 J-10 Fleetside
                            1988 grand wagoneer
                            2004 RUBICON jeep
                            Benson, NC

Comment

• CameraFinn
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 15, 2015

Awesome to see you making quick progress! It's cool to take an engine apart isn't it? You know what's in there, and how it works, but touching it all takes the cake.
                              Glad your oil pump isn't trashed. Is that Bulltear plate a steel surface for the gears to ride on? If so, Buick's have the same fix for oil.
                              Finn

You know it's a good morning when the gas gauge works for the whole drive.

1970 Wagoneer Project (Dad's)
                              1970.5 Gladiator J-4800 Camper Special Custom Cab - 55,000 Miles
                              1967 Jeepster Convertible - 8071 Deluxe - 65,000 Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X