Thoughts on the Howell TBI system for a 401?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafner
    232 I6
    • Jun 18, 2014

Thoughts on the Howell TBI system for a 401?

Hi all,

I have a fairly stock 401 in my 1978 Wagoneer; the only noticeable difference from stock is a new-looking Edelbrock carb that doesn't seem to want to behave (very, very cold-blooded, even when warm it tends to stumble off the line, not very good power, I've had it struggle at high altitudes). I've had it looked at by a couple of shops, and they're stumped.

I'm halfway inclined to just stop spending time on it and move to a Howell TBI system to get the benefits of improved driveability and power delivery, but in the threads I've seen there have been a few comments that people have had issues with them either having issues that are hard to diagnose, or them not being able to keep up with the fuel demands of the 401.

Can those running the system share some opinions? Does it work well with your 401, and have you been happy with the effort?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner

---

1978 Jeep Wagoneer 401
    2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
    1986 Audi Coupe GT
    1977 Cadillac Eldorado
    1992 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

[SOLD] 2002 Audi S6 Avant
    [SOLD] 1973 Ford Gran Torino Wagon
    [SOLD] 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
  • Bill USN-1
    258 I6
    • Nov 11, 2006

Howell is a fuel only system.
    If you would like a complete fuel and ignition upgrade for the same price then I can provide a complete system running the way it was designed to run.
    I've done many 401s so it's not an issue with fueling.
    see my sig for info.
    Bill USN-1
    Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
    Hamilton Fuel Injection
    75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
    1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

Bill's stuff is top notch. He also supplies most of the IH guys systems too.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
      X