• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZacharyH
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 05, 2020

AM/FM/CB repair?

Pulled this AM/FC/CB at a junkyard today, plugged it in, and no matter how i plug in a speaker i cant get any audio out if it. Not even radio static. I was wondering if its worth getting repaired at a repair shop. If you have had one of these repaired how much did you pay?
  • 67GMC
    232 I6
    • Mar 13, 2016

Hmm. It does light up so it's getting power. Did you try grounding the case while testing? Also, you need at least the radio antenna hooked up to check properly.
    My Stable:
    1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 5.9L, 4x4, Auto (newest project)

1997 Volkswagen Cabrio, 2.0L, Manual
    2005 Kia Sportage, 2.7L, Auto
    2006 Toyota Sienna, 3.3L, Auto
    2018 Toyota RAV4, 2.5L, Auto

Recent projects (no longer with us)
    1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4, Auto
    1967 GMC 910, 283V8, 4SPD (RIP)

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by ZacharyH
      Pulled this AM/FC/CB at a junkyard today, plugged it in, and no matter how i plug in a speaker i cant get any audio out if it. Not even radio static. I was wondering if its worth getting repaired at a repair shop. If you have had one of these repaired how much did you pay?
      Nope. Not worth it. Send it to me. I'll take good care of it for you.

Those are worth big bucks these days! LOOOOOooots of people want them. I do not know of specific people that work on them but yes, there are companies out there that will fix and upgrade it. They can add USB inputs, bluetooth, RCA outputs, etc. Someone will post some links here after me. If you decide not to fix it, DO NOT throw it away. Post it for sale here in the classifieds; It'll sell. They go for alot on Ebay, too. I have an extra set of factory radio knobs I would sell you (PM me if you need them) for a decent price. I am super extra doubly jealous of your radio/CB!
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• jsinajeep
        304 AMC
        • Nov 26, 2005

ZacharyH Did you get antenna with the small coil and the splitter for the antenna.
        http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
          232 I6
          • Sep 08, 2019

Try testing the radio first. Plug an AM/FM antenna in to the rear for the test. If testing the CB, the SQ (squelch) should be turned all the way down (counterclockwise) and the gain all the way up (clockwise). You should have an AM/FM-CB splitter and plug the cb antenna into the coax connection. You may need to have the microphone plugged in for it to work (even for receiving) depending on how the unit is built.

The speaker cable might have a connection broken inside the unit's case (remove the cover to check). Also check for any fuses internally that might be blown.

Comment

Working...
          X