• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeep madness
    232 I6
    • Jul 27, 2010

Bulltear distributor gear set problem.

I,m so mad I can't even think straight!!! My truck ate the dizzy drive gears last month after I installed a HEI dizzy. Well lesson learned, transfer the gear form your old dis. to new dis.. Well last weekend I tore the motor down and installed a new set from Bulltear. My motor only has about 8000 miles on it, so I even pulled the pan to get all the metal out. This morning, I loaded my truck to go to the dump, and it crapped out a mile from the house. I pulled the distributor, and the Bulltear gear set is chewed up!!!! I drive the truck about 30 miles and it was running great. I got in it, stopped to put fuel it, and when I started at the gas station, it started running ruff when I pulled out onto the highway. I know it had done it again. I was only a 1/2 mile from the house, so my wife pulled me back to the house with her Cherokee. Has anyone had a set of Bulltear gears fail???
  • Dumpy
    304 AMC
    • Jan 30, 2009

That really stinks. Are you sure you had the distributor gears seated all the way into the oil pump gear? If so, it might be worth tearing apart the front end to check that gear and see what could be going on in there.
    Justin
    '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
    "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• Jeep madness
      232 I6
      • Jul 27, 2010

The distributor was all the way in. I have to do it all over again!!! Monday I'm going to call Bulltear.

Comment

• Dumpy
        304 AMC
        • Jan 30, 2009

Ouch. I'm sure they will replace it, but as I mentioned, check that oil pump gear. If that bolt has come loose it could be causing the damage to the new one. If you chew up another one I would say that the gear isn't the problem. Hopefully they will just send you a new one.
        Justin
        '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
        "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

you may something else going on in there with the gears taking the toll.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• The Colonel
            360 AMC
            • Feb 21, 2010

Is the new HEI the only thing you had changed? Did you install new timing chain set or anything before this started happening?

Comment

• Thumper168
              258 I6
              • Nov 29, 2010

Sounds like an oiling problem, I recently changed mine and I havnt had any problems but I dont have any faith in it either.
              84 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Jeep madness
                232 I6
                • Jul 27, 2010

Originally posted by The Colonel
                Is the new HEI the only thing you had changed? Did you install new timing chain set or anything before this started happening?

I only changed the distributor. The motor only has about 8000 miles on it. I thought getting rid of the points dis. would help performance. I use the truck hard when I use it, pulling tractors, hay balers, and car trailer. I built it about 3 1/2 years ago and have not turned a screw on the motor until now.

Comment

• derf
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 12, 2001

The HEI distributor may be out of spec. Measure it against a factory distributor to make sure it's right.
                  Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• Jeep madness
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 27, 2010

Originally posted by derf
                    The HEI distributor may be out of spec. Measure it against a factory distributor to make sure it's right.
                    I did that before I put it in with the new gears. It is the same dimensions. I looked at every thing close before I put the motor back together. Changing the gear is a big pain! I did not want to do it again. But here I am, truck broke down again! I'm not putting that distributor back in ether just in case that has something to with the problem.

Comment

• Thumper168
                      258 I6
                      • Nov 29, 2010

Did you pack it in assy. lube when you installed it? Postitive you have it installed the correct way? Did it have any oil on it or was it dry after removing again? Was the dizzy tightned up good? It wasnt BullTears gears problem so much as your motor having an issue. Id swap back to the old dizzy after replacing the gears again.
                      84 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• badaboom
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jun 05, 2001

Could be a number of issues as others have noted.
                        The set is the cam gear and distributor gear.
                        set from Bulltear
                        replaced both gears - cam and distributor?
                        1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• Stuka
                          • Jan 21, 2001

When you rebuilt the motor, did you put a new timing chain and gears in? If so, did the top gear have the hole in it so that the cam/distributer gear gets oiled?

I say this because there is a known issue with some timing sets not having that oiling hole. And the result is exactly what you describe here.

Comment

• Jeep madness
                            232 I6
                            • Jul 27, 2010

The motor has the original timing cover. The distributor gear is missing teeth on one side. I will try to get some pictures of it.

Comment

• jaber
                              Dragin Az
                              • Oct 17, 2003

Originally posted by Stuka
                              When you rebuilt the motor, did you put a new timing chain and gears in? If so, did the top gear have the hole in it so that the cam/distributer gear gets oiled?

I say this because there is a known issue with some timing sets not having that oiling hole. And the result is exactly what you describe here.
                              This is where my thoughts went. There have been a couple of threads here about inspecting these oil ports for line-up and casting in them.
                              Jeff

'43 cj2a
                              '51 Willys p/u
                              '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                              '68 Panel Delivery
                              '74 CJ5
                              '75 J-20 Wrecker
                              '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                              '77 J-10 p/u
                              '79 Cherokee
                              '88 Grand Wagoneer
                              '98 Grand Cherokee