International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-26-2004, 10:47 AM

so the latest in a long history of HOW MY JEEP LEFT ME STRANDED..... alternator bracket keeps breaking leaving the bolt broken off in the manifold. its winter here in maine if im going to take everything out rebore and retap i better do it, BECAUSE.....im tired of the above, so last wednesday i start, of course it takes me forever, but by this wednesday everything is back in still no alternator bracket but i make a quickie to get me thru til the one i ordered comes in, use the battery starter to start the jeep, some of the connectors for the vac system have broken, the jeep is backfiring at least 10 times a minute , but i CANT fix them until i get to the auto parts store, so i make to end of street it dies, use battery charger it starts make it to top of hill, stalls, battery charger says FORGET THIS, have to get someone going by to give me a jump, he says put a pen in the choke to keep it open it will quite stalling, it works!!so i make it to gas station hoping and praying the whole way, im hoping they might have some connectors, while im there i ask to borrow a socket wrench as i dont have one and had taken water outlet off to check thermostat while i had my weeks forced vacation at home,courtesy of you guessed it MY JEEP.(now you know why it took a week to do the work), ever tried to get those bolts off with a wrench?? the one behind the oiler filler thing is a *****. i got the outlet off with a wrench but couldnt tighten it with one, (oh did i forget to mention the billows of steam following me down the road to the gas station???), so borrowed the socket wrench and you guessed it BROKE the outlet, no one thought to say "gee this is a girl doing this we better warn her not to BREAK THE OUTLET". of course the friendly neighborhood mechanic doesnt have the part i need to FIX it, so fill up the radiator and head for auto parts store, stop a few times put water in, enjoying the hell out of the sauna effect as i havent had heat in it for two winters now, get to auto parts store (god that big yellow sign was like the gates to heaven). engine is boiling but hey im here at the parts store everything is golden! explain what i need and do you guessed it... they dont have a water outlet!!.
so parts guy gets me coffee, a dry shirt, oh did i forget to say its raining and 45 degrees?? a rain coat and puts some jb weld on the old outlet after i take it off,see if we can fix it for now, so i get the rest of my parts and a socket set yippee!! at this point store is closing we go out under my hood in pouring rain, 45 degrees, i fix vac hoses put on outlet, no good its leaking, so nice guy says ill follow you home (poor guy thats the last time he'll ever say that to anyone again), so we start, get a mile down road, i pull over at a gas station to get more water its raining still, come out, pop hood, hood popper thingie comes loose, say the hell with it im soaked thru im freezing sauna effect has definitely worn off at this point, start her up, well my goodness could it be we need a jump?? i take off grille all those little screws did i mention its 45 degrees and raining??? spend another 10 minutes trying to pop that little thingie you have to pop, parts guy comes over and gets it popped, I swear my jeep is a female and she hates my guts, so jump the jeep and head for home, pull over 2 miles later, get out do the try to pop the latch manuever again, worked, filled and didnt get home til 1am.........
so did i mention the time it stalled and wouldnt start in the middle of the road?? whole high school football team was driving by and got out to push, or the time it wouldnt start in the cemetery
had to walk through the whole cemetery (its big)
i finally gave up trying to start it at 10 pm i had stitches in my foot and the resident coyote pack had started to party
or the time.........
so anyway if you made it this far and this is really the gist of the whole thing, one suggestion the parts guy made and he had an awesome 86 chevy truck purred like a kitten all night, was to take out everything under the hood i dont need, vac, air conditioning (carb????) etc etc, i liked the way his engine compartment looked (very empty) easy to work on (why did jeep put spark plugs next to the oil dipstick???), and want to do that to mine, maybe THAT will finally subdue the beast. so i need info, suggestions and HELP!!!
Old 11-26-2004, 12:33 PM
FSJ Maniac

Wow what a night! I read someplace that an Oldsmobile thermostat housing will work in a pinch if you saw off some of the bypass tube.

It'll get easer. Hang in there.

Larry Miller

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html
Old 11-26-2004, 01:15 PM

GOD ****!!! I Thought my Heep was a pain in the *** . I think another DD might be in order... I hate to say it but get a honda. Good luck

~sean~
Old 11-27-2004, 01:05 AM
FSJ Maniac

wow what a run of bad luck!
i feel for ya
Old 11-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Rabble Rouser

I think the worst thing my 88 Grand Wag I had do to me was just plain cut out and die in the middle of the road on a blind corner, on a busy road, in Connecticut when I lived there. That..was a nervous few minutes till I got it rolling down the hill and off the road [img]tongue.gif[/img]

What did you do to your wagoneer to p*ss it off? Wash it?
Hunter S. Thompson .

Old 11-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Master Mechanic

thats no joke, ya do something nice for the rig and it thanks you by breakn down for some other reason. why do we love these thigs so much, i think im for getting???
Old 11-27-2004, 06:55 AM
Grease Monkey

man, these jeeps are serious peices of ****! what did we waste our money on [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Turbocharged Quandary

I feel for you. I had to put a wrench in carb choke to get my '89 going. The best luck to you!!

Derek

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

AIM: derektjeep

dereksbicycles@gmail.com

224 805 0773 text message is the king!!!

Find me on facebook under Derek Troy
Old 11-27-2004, 12:00 PM
FSJ Maniac

Reminds me of high school! It sucks, but take some time and fix the little things right and it should take care of ya.

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI
Old 11-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Master Mechanic

yeah till the next thing breaks.the Jeep slogan was right....Just Empty Every Pocket
Old 11-27-2004, 01:47 PM
350 Buick

Is it running OK now? What's the status?

You could remove your air compressor if your rig has A/C, but not much else if it's going to pass emissions.

What year is your Jeep? Is it a Wagoneer? Truck? Cherokee?

Good luck, let us know how it's going.

[ November 27, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: twisted frame ]
Now in black primer.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Master Mechanic

if you keep breaking the alternator bolt. do you have the braket that goes from the alternator to the AC? or do you just have two bolts going through the alternator to the block? if you are missing the braket go get you one otherwise i would check to make sure the alternator is shimmed correctly .
Old 11-28-2004, 07:54 AM

hi all im still working on the jeep, had pulled on all kinds of wires the last 100 times i was stranded to find broken and undone wires, so have collated and bundled them,shes looking really pretty under the hood so tired of people looking under there saying "this things a menace you should get another vehicle" put in new heater box thing from the other jeep, hope to have heat now, have to take out the radiator to get air conditioning thing in front of radiator out not a priority at the moment, but in taking out the air conditioning condenser?? the big thing the alternator bracket attaches to?, my belts dont fit now, so do i just buy new belts that are smaller and hook up the alternator to the fan that way?? im hoping when i get the bracket i paid 30.00 for (yikes) that it will still hook up correctly. i put the ground that was hooked up on the air conditioner thing to the exhaust manifold where the bolt for the alternator goes in its tight and seems like that should work for grounding?? im going to start it now, thinking i can drive it with just the belts on the right side?? alternator isnt working anyway without bracket so guess its alright not to have belts coming from there?? all these question marks are making me NERVOUS. im trying to figure out how to put the headlights in correctly seems strange round holes for square headlights?? then put grille on and maybe drive it?? i have to get away!!!! so...... to answer why shes mad at me??
maybe cause im better looking!
anyway i need help from all you experts out there re the above
OH YES got another water outlet its great the first one was flimsy aluminum this is three times as heavy and i got it on without breaking it!!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:58 AM

oh sorry its an 85 grand wagoneer v8 blue with woodgrain, ive had a rebuilt engine put in, that blew in the first 4 hours so had another put in, i personally put in the muffler, starter, alternator, and heater thing, steering fluid container, new brake pads and caliper, how can i give her up i feel like i know her inside and out!!
Old 11-28-2004, 02:04 PM

On my jeep, I took off all of the smog stuff, air conditioning (because it is cold up here for six months of the year!) and used the non-AC alternator bracket. Then, I got belts for a non-AC 360. As for just running with the belts on your right side, are you talking about running without an alternator? You can't go very far without your alternator hooked up.

[ November 28, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Ruptured Duck ]

THE J TRUCK: 87 J20,
360/727 Torqueflite/NP208, TFI, Edelbrock 1406 on Edelbrock performer intake, Cammed, Aluminum Radiator.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:40 PM
350 Buick

Don't worry about the circular hole for the square headlight. That's how they're all shaped under the grill. As long as you have the square bucket that your square headlight sits in, you're fine. It was a square headlight that was in there before, right?

Yes, follow Ruptured Duck's advice, you need a belt on your alternator. Your alternator is wired up, right?
Now in black primer.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:05 AM
Gear Head

Are you using grade 8 bolts. I had that happen with a small block chevy years ago. Someone stole my alternator. When I replaced it I only used a grade 5 bolt. It sheared off in two days. I replaced it with a grade 8 and never had another problem. As far as what can come off under the hood, that depends on your local emission regulations.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:18 AM

Westcoast: Where are you?

I'm in Old Orchard, and am prolly headed to a yard out in Limerick tomorrow that supposedly has a few Waggys in the yard.

Anything you want me to look for?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 AM

ooohhhhh can i come?? just kidding,actually i need all the alternator brackets for a non air jeep grand 85 v8, i need the bracket that holds the coil on, a fuel tank shield in good shape would definitely be nice, a resistor for the heater thing, jeep caps,also i saw in the haynes manual (late night reading i dont recommend as i was fixing my jeep all night in my dreams!) that for a non air jeep you need a fan spacer?? also i spoke to someone in fla re jeep brackets and they didnt know what i needed for a bushing or a sleeve they said the jeep info book said one that was 3 and something and one little smaller and didnt say which one was needed!mine is 2 1/2 on my air conditioned jeep, they also said you need 3 brackets for alternator ??? i thought only two? let me know what they have wagoneers there ive tried all the yards that are local(freeport cumberland etc ) and they all say "we crushed our jeeps"!! also can you tell me how to get to limerick from falmouth?? what are the prices like there?? and THANK YOU for offering to look for me.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:01 AM

Settle down, take it easy, without a bracket to support
the front of the alt pivot bolt it is no wonder
that the bolt would break off in the head.
Take a look at this web page http://mysite.verizon.net/res00d4r/index.html
Look at the parts manual for your Jeep, finding
a non AC pivot bracket localy may be difficult
as most latter Grands had AC. If your AC pump
clutch (Pulley turns free) I would leave it be,
and add the proper pivot bracket.
As far as ripping stuff off, unless you know what
you are doing,(If you understand the system
well enough to know the operation of componets
you would not be ripping them off) there are
other ramifications, mainly with how the factory Carberator
and Dizzy advance is set to operate with operating EGR and CTO valves in place.
Granted if all the "Evil" emissions stuff is
removed and the Carb is re jetted and the advance
curve is setup right the engine will be simpler
and will drive just as well as a correctly setup
factory unit but will get less milage and pollute
more.

Mike D.

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
And the other stuff that gets driven
----------------------------------------