International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM
232 I6

Which Underbody Paint?

So my GW is pretty rust free and I want to keep it that way for the next 5-10 years until I do a frame-off. What paint can I use on under body parts to help protect them? POR-15 seems like a PITA to do a little at a time since it goes bad after you open the can. Would Rustoleum be the best choice? What else is out there that is durable?

I just want to paint what I am working on at the time like shock mounts or sway bar brackets, not doing the whole frame.

I plan to wire brush, spray rust converter, and then top coat.

A work in progress!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM
327 Rambler

I repainted the underside of my drag race AMC Spirit.

1) I removed the undercoating with spray stripper, which actually worked good. Wear a mask!

2) I then bathed it with Ospho for a week, applying every other day. Applied with a brush. Makes a mess.

3) Cleaned it all thoroughly with water-based degreaser then acetone.

4) Brush painted it in sections with POR-15, then when the POR got tacky I rattle can sprayed a light coat of semi-gloss black onto the POR. After fully dry I applied a full coat. I think I used Krylon, which lays nice and dries fast. Dupli-Color works just as well. This method was actually recommended by a POR dealer and I used it extensively for other parts - it worked great. Got POR protection along with a smooth semi-gloss finish. 20 years later (seriously) it still looks fantastic!

That being said, I recently painted my inner fenders (77 Cherokee) with RustOleum semi-gloss black using a narrow foam roller. 3 coats. It looks awesome, and much easier and cheaper than using POR. I don't expect the durability but it's an easy place to re-apply if it gets scuffed up.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:52 AM
232 I6

Chassis Saver is a good alternative to por15.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:37 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktrapper
So my GW is pretty rust free and I want to keep it that way for the next 5-10 years until I do a frame-off. What paint can I use on under body parts to help protect them? POR-15 seems like a PITA to do a little at a time since it goes bad after you open the can. Would Rustoleum be the best choice? What else is out there that is durable?

I just want to paint what I am working on at the time like shock mounts or sway bar brackets, not doing the whole frame.

I plan to wire brush, spray
If me I would simply keep the problem areas clean. The front shock towers and inside the front boxed area of the frame are the two biggest problem areas. Some products like POR15 can cause more rust than if left alone if not applied properly; I have seen this happen twice. Also adding sub standard coatings now will make cleaning more difficult later.

The open frame section behind the third crossmember could benefit from protection. For some reason the metal in this area has a tendency to corrode and become thin, particularly from the inside of the channel. Also the interface between the trailer hitch and frame is another area that could benefit from a coating.

I just realized you have a GW. The structure surrounding the fuel tank is another problem area. I would spent the time to drop the tank and clean this area. There is sure to be some buildup of debris there.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?

Last edited by threepiece : 04-30-2020 at 05:53 AM.