International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Noob!

AC compressor to air compressor...?

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but....I'm interested in turning my stock AC compressor into an air compressor. I know the clutch is good, but I have no idea about the rest of the system; IE: does the system have freon, is the compressor still good etc...I guess I'l get to that point...I've got a pretty good idea how turning an AC compressor into an air compressor works. What I'm mainly looking for is mounting ideas, 'cause the compressor needs to be rotated so the head faces up....
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin'WNC
Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but....I'm interested in turning my stock AC compressor into an air compressor. I know the clutch is good, but I have no idea about the rest of the system; IE: does the system have freon, is the compressor still good etc...I guess I'l get to that point...I've got a pretty good idea how turning an AC compressor into an air compressor works. What I'm mainly looking for is mounting ideas, 'cause the compressor needs to be rotated so the head faces up....

This has been done numerous times. Have you searched the site? There's lots of good info to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun2mo
I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny019
I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 PM

I did the Sanden on my XJ as per the article in JP a couple of years ago. Has worked out just fine for what I need.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 PM

IIRC, the goto site was http://onboardair.com
Old 01-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Grease Monkey

Sounds like you are using a York. Are you also keeping the a/c system? There are pictures of brackets for dual compressors around here. If you are only running one York, you can use the stock mount, pull off the clutch, unbolt the compressor from the mount rotate it and bolt it back up to the stock mount. I used fittings to go to npt from kilby. Nice but expensive. I also used an air compressor filter on the intake. Plumbed it all with hydraulic hose. It works really good.
1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.