International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Jeep may have saved my sister!

So we went out wheeling and hiking today... There's about 12in of snow on the ground which is really unusual for this area so we (my two sisters, one of my friends and myself) figured we should go out and enjoy it... We drove the jeep into the back country and deep into a valley. After driving awhile we decided to get out and hike for awhile... About 2.5 miles from the jeep and 5.5 miles from the nearest road/house we came to a place where there was a massive bridge out (the trail used to be a rail road and they removed the bridges when they left). The trail went off the former railroad easment and crossed the creek which was crossable via jeep (which we obviously did not have with us at the moment)... Before we could decide what to do one of out dogs (the nicer tempered but dumber of the two) plunged through the thin ice into swift moving waist deep water. After a few minutes while I am trying to break up the ice so he can swim to shore he is starting to get a bit feable and my sister is freaking out and valantly but foolishly plunges into the water. She retrieves the dog (who is fine after a few minutes). Needless to say it is pretty bad since it is like 20 degrees here and we are a long way from any where. Being the quickest I run back to the jeep and drive like a maniac back to meet them.
After retrieving the gang I pulled a 7 or 10 point turn (narrow trail) and headed back to the house as quick as possible. Who knows what would have happened if not for the jeep but everyone is ok and we made it safely home just confirming further my suspision that this thing is the best money I've ever spent

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing
Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Gear Head

good to hear everyone is ok. I've actually plunged through ice a few times as a dumb and had to walk 1 1/2 miles home it sucks
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Good to hear everyones ok. So I guess it would be safe to say the heater in the jeep still works good. lol

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetrks
Good to hear everyones ok. So I guess it would be safe to say the heater in the jeep still works good. lol

lol if it had been like the heater in my old cj or sammy you would have been better off walking out.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6xdemonx6x
lol if it had been like the heater in my old cj or sammy you would have been better off walking out.

Not fun when your cold and wet. hehehe

My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetrks

Sadly: No... I bypassed it a few weeks ago because it was leaking. I have not got a chance to install a new core yet.

It was still MUCH faster to drive out than walk (especially considering the terrain... The hill to the valley is pretty rocky, slippery, steep and long) and the interior temp with 4 people and two dogs AND heat from the tranny and engine coming in though the floor/firewall was about 55 degrees... Not too bad.

She did not really seem at risk of getting hypothermia by the time we got home though so I am guessing she COULD have made it if she had to... Would have been pretty unpleasent especially since we had to cross that same creek again to get back to the road... LOL

Volkswagen rail buggy

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanstives
Sadly: No... I bypassed it a few weeks ago because it was leaking. I have not got a chance to install a new core yet.

It was still MUCH faster to drive out than walk (especially considering the terrain... The hill to the valley is pretty rocky, slippery, steep and long) and the interior temp with 4 people and two dogs AND heat from the tranny and engine coming in though the floor/firewall was about 55 degrees... Not too bad.

She did not really seem at risk of getting hypothermia by the time we got home though so I am guessing she COULD have made it if she had to... Would have been pretty unpleasent especially since we had to cross that same creek again to get back to the road... LOL

Well guess she won't be doing any swimming in the winter for awhile. hehe. Now you've got some incentive to get that heater core. I'll bet if ya passed the hat you get the money up in no time your sister would probably kick in a good chunk for saving her. LOL

Old 01-31-2010, 10:58 PM

so, other than that... how was the walk?

I used to live in Beattyville in the mid 80's, some pretty country... there used to be a really good chinese food place in Irvine as I recall... Glad everyone was okay!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman

I used to live in Beattyville in the mid 80's, some pretty country... there used to be a really good chinese food place in Irvine as I recall... Glad everyone was okay!

I was great! You don't see that much snow often and I like going out in it... I was almost dissappointed how easily the jeep handled a foot of snow... I had to put it in 2wd to have any fun! The rough areas were a little bit slippier but not too bad.
Not sure about chinese in Irvine... I mostly come down the mountain parkway though I have been though Irvine more than once... Just never stopped for food.

Volkswagen rail buggy

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman

I used to work with an ex cop from Beattyville. He was there in the mid 80's till he got on at the Toyota Plant in Georgetown. Also worked with a guy from Irvine. Good people out there. Strange place all the same. Bought several rifles from a place in Irvine. Used to be a gas station. VERY GOOD PRICES. Two AR-15s, Russian SKS.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sld
I used to work with an ex cop from Beattyville. He was there in the mid 80's till he got on at the Toyota Plant in Georgetown. Also worked with a guy from Irvine. Good people out there. Strange place all the same. Bought several rifles from a place in Irvine. Used to be a gas station. VERY GOOD PRICES. Two AR-15s, Russian SKS.

So far everyone has been super nice... We live about 8 miles outside of beattyville... I actually don't go there often except to go to advance auto parts and congliton brothers hardware for jeep stuff... Lol

Volkswagen rail buggy

95 Jeep ZJ V8