• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chr1s
    360 AMC
    • Jun 17, 2003

Hey man, looked for you in my wag this morning

I see you want to go MSD, is that because you want to get rid of the stock ignition system? Has it given you problems?

EDIT: Ok I can read... really, I just went back and read that you want to run the MSD coil.

[ December 16, 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: chr1s ]
    87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
    88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
    "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

Originally posted by chr1s:
      Hey man, looked for you in my wag this morning

M3 again. Wag brake issues getting corrected this weekend. Didn't want to make it worse.

I see you want to go MSD, is that because you want to get rid of the stock ignition system?

yeah, especially if it will free up some mpg...I've been getting 9-10 to and from horsham/roxboro, mix hwy and city 15 miles one way.

Has it given you problems?

No not really, cold starts are just okay. Anybody else but me will have a hard time getting it started.

EDIT: Ok I can read... really, I just went back and read that you want to run the MSD coil.
      well, I've used MSD wires before when I auto-x my moderately modded integra I had before. Good product quality, never had a problem. These were the best at that time at least for that car. I have no issues going with them again. In fact many tried magnecor (saw your sig), and well many integra guys had misfires since they didn't seal well and let moisture in...for that I wouldn't even consider them on a truck that sees fowl weather and trails!

Comment

besides a larger radius cap, (preventing crossfires), what is the reason for this upgrade.

I mean yeah stock 20,000 sucks arse, and 30,000 of the juicebox TFI is better, but heck msd makes a canister coil, that will fit right in the oem jeep bracket and p-n-p and 40,000. Yes I know the TFI msd part is 40, but why not prevent all this extra retrofit if you can bump the stock setup up to 40 with only replacing the can coil?

No I do not understand what TFI tech is, and how it is better.....Sorry, have to ask to feel good about this.

Comment

• chr1s
          360 AMC
          • Jun 17, 2003

Yeah, I went with the magnecors after reading up on plug wires in general (for days it seems) and the fact that I found them for $66 Havent had any problems (knock on fake wood)
          Yeah I hear you on the mpg, I guess I shouldnt tell you Ive hit about 18mpg highway with the TBI setup, in the city FORGET IT..lol. I havent checked since the latest chip remapping, I need to get out and do another test since I just had the trans rebuilt, but before I go to 373s and 33s & kiss my mpg #'s goodbye
          88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
          "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

• chr1s
            360 AMC
            • Jun 17, 2003

also the TFI is about spark *delivery*. Getting the most availble juice in the chamber through better: coil, wires, spark gap.
            88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE

Comment

• jode
              JB Welder
              • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by Jeepeta:
              why not prevent all this extra retrofit if you can bump the stock setup up to 40 with only replacing the can coil?
              Posted by nograin (Member # 701) on February 23, 2005, 09:05 PM:

Do a search under tech for coils. I posted some very tech stuff on them a while back, and some other real techie guys clarified things further.

But basically TFI is Ford's name for an E-core style coil. Ford thought it was a worthy upgrade and switched their vehicles to it - That ought to suggest its value. If your vehicle is already in tune, with good parts, the seat of the pants will be negligible. Again, Ford wou;dn't have bothered with the expense if it didn't help milage and emmissions.

A coil with higher voltage is not the same thing. Oil filled coils use different windings which can be optimized for specific rpms. The Blaster 2 is for higher rpms. The MSD 6 which it is intended to be used with doesn't need the coil to be great at low rpm because the control unit fires multiple sparks at low rpm. MSD does sell E-core style coils - the SS for example. By style I mean the guts, not the casing.

As far as laying oil filled coils down being bad. I've heard that too. But darn near every Chrysler, and many Fords, our Jeeps, and I'm sure others are set up with the coil laying down. That would suggest its fine.
              No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• bjtc_brian
                232 I6
                • Nov 25, 2005

I am going to order the TFI kit from BuildYour4x4, but I was wonder what the difference between the Moroso coil and the MSD Blaster coil. I was also wonder the difference between the MSD Blaster and the MSD Blaster 2F. Any information would be helpful. I was also thinking about getting a new control module and was wondering the difference between the MSD 6A the MSD 6AL and the Mallory HyFire VI A. Thanks in advance.
                Kady\'s Karrier<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/bjtc_brian\" target=\"_blank\">79 Jeep Wagoneer</a><br />BuildYour4x4\'s TFI upgrade<br />S10 Steering Box(Done FINALLY!!!!)<br />6\" BJs Lift, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT on Procomp Series 1069 15x10<br />Soon: Rhino Grille

Comment

• billy1
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 25, 2004

I got mine from build your 4x4 for my 86 Wagoneer and it seems to do everything claimed.........easier starts, smoother idle, a little better mileage, BUT, I didn't initially get the MSD6 electronic igniton. That is a must!If you don't replace the old electronic control module, it WILL quit and your stuck.
                  79 J-10 Honcho

Comment

• jode
                    JB Welder
                    • Apr 08, 2002

Brian - in my humble opinion, the only difference in the parts you mention is opinion, and price. I would do the MSD coil and the Mallory ignition if I were buying.

billy, yeah, on the module, if you run a full 12V to that coil, the modules do seem to heat up.
                    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• homerj40
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 17, 2005

Originally posted by 83 BEAST:
                      is all that msd stuff for the 360's, or 258's? (sorry i'm a little lost) i would much rather have msd! do any of you know if there is a msd ignition for the 258 and would it be worth getting?
                      BuildYour4X4 has the 6 cyl kit too....

"Simpson you boob, you've destroyed us all!"

'69 J2000 Gladiator (Grover)
                      Buick 350, F.A.S.T. 4bbl EFI, TA Stage 1 manifold, ported intakes, roller rockers, Voodoo cam, full length headers, Early Bronco COIL SPRING FRONT SUSPENSION, 700R4 trans, D20 twin stick, hydroboost, front discs, A/C

'87 GW (Lucille)
                      Slowly bringing her back to life

Mine's a Hybrid - It burns gas AND rubber!

Comment

• 83 BEAST
                        327 Rambler
                        • May 15, 2005

can any of the MSD stuff be used with the 258?
                        The Beast: 1983 jeep j-10, 258ci, t-5 trans, np-208 t-case, d44(f) amc20(r), stock gears, 32" tires, (just passed emissions as of 12-16-11 )

Comment

• jode
                          JB Welder
                          • Apr 08, 2002

A MSD TFI coil is the same for V8 or I6
                          The MSD module (and the Mallory one too) is the same way.

Explore MSD's range of unrivaled ignition systems and components at Holley.com!

Comment

• bjtc_brian
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 25, 2005

Thanks a lot Jode.
                            Kady\'s Karrier<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/bjtc_brian\" target=\"_blank\">79 Jeep Wagoneer</a><br />BuildYour4x4\'s TFI upgrade<br />S10 Steering Box(Done FINALLY!!!!)<br />6\" BJs Lift, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT on Procomp Series 1069 15x10<br />Soon: Rhino Grille

Comment

• bjtc_brian
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 25, 2005

Jode,
                              Does the kit come with a bracket for the coil?

Comment

• jode
                                JB Welder
                                • Apr 08, 2002

Not the one from BUILDYOUR4X4 - but there are instructions on the site on how to make one from your old coil holder.

Comment

Working...
                                X