Feeler on selling the beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeler on selling the beast

Don't know what to do really. Looking at possibly getting rid of the old girl. Has the 360, a T18 and 208 drivers drop, Axles are stock, with a lock rite in the rear. Interior needs a lot of help. Custom front bumper and trimmed down factory grille guard, set up for a Warn. 31-10.50 Pro Comp M/T's. If I get rid of it I would be looking at $2500 without the 8274 and $3000 with.

Input?
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Do it soon.
    There's been talk for a year now about gas hitting $5/gal by summer. Seems now even the media is picking up on it pretty much encouraging the Wall Street futures investors so I'm inclined to believe it'll hit at least the mid $4 range here the the PNW especially with the recent Cherry Pt. refinery fire in WA. If'n were me I'd unload it soon even if you have to take less than you want. These things are gonna be serious tough to unload the longer you wait. Not what you wanted to hear I know but it's something to think about. Maybe take less now or eat it later. Stock up on cutting discs and hot sauce. Good luck, hope you get what you need.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Just hit $4 here today @ the cheap stations, been well over $4 @ the big ones for a while

I bet in the very near future CL is going to see a lot of FSJ pop up.
      Just like back in '08 when gas spiked really high.
      You couldn't give one of them away, or any vehicle like it for that matter.
      I bought a Cherokee back then for $110.

$5 gas is coming ready or not.

Just today I was thinking about selling both of mine, and getting something else that gets better mileage.
      If you're debating selling it may be the time.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Blake
        304 AMC
        • Dec 22, 2005

Sounds like this summer might be a good time to pick up some FSJ's for cheap
        Please come on over to http://fsjnetwork.com/forum and have a look.

Comment

• itselliot
          350 Buick
          • Aug 28, 2010

Originally posted by joe
          Do it soon.
          There's been talk for a year now about gas hitting $5/gal by summer. Seems now even the media is picking up on it pretty much encouraging the Wall Street futures investors so I'm inclined to believe it'll hit at least the mid $4 range here the the PNW especially with the recent Cherry Pt. refinery fire in WA. If'n were me I'd unload it soon even if you have to take less than you want. These things are gonna be serious tough to unload the longer you wait. Not what you wanted to hear I know but it's something to think about. Maybe take less now or eat it later. Stock up on cutting discs and hot sauce. Good luck, hope you get what you need.

Let me just add this...........for what ever its worth.

I purchased my first FSJ in 1979. It was a 1979 Cherokee Chief, 360 Quadratrac. It got 10mpg.
          Cost me around $13K. I sold it for around $5K the next year when the price of gas went from $0.75 to $1.50........
          I bought a Suburu for fuel economy. I will never make that kind of mistake again.
          If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
          [email protected]
          616 four 03 44 0 five
          '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
          "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
          '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• billyrb
            BJ's Off-Road
            • Aug 15, 2001

or, keep it and save up / swap in an LS and get what, high teens / low 20's with an overdrive? the problem I see is when people sell an older vehicle that gets poor mileage, they then buy something smaller that won't haul or tow as much or what they really need, it costs LOTS more on insurance, LOTS more on tags / ad velorum fees, LOTS more on repairs, and more on emissions tests. Plus, over time the gas does come back down a good bit. Sometimes it's cheaper to keep what you have and tune it up properly, keep tires properly inflated, and keep yer foot off the hammer
            BJ's Off-Road
            [email protected]
            Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• CJ the noisemaker
              304 AMC
              • Nov 28, 2009

Originally posted by billyrb
              or, keep it and save up / swap in an LS and get what, high teens / low 20's with an overdrive?
              That can be achieved with an inline six, It's not as fast though...
              CJ
              [/COLOR][/SIZE] -1985 Ford LTD Country Squire "Rarity" - 302/AOD

Comment

• dadley
                230 Tornado
                • Jan 07, 2011

Keep what you got

Many people panic when gas goes up.They go out and get
                in debt for 15 miles more per gallon.If you own it you can
                buy a lot of gas with the money you save on finance charges
                and higher insurance.Just food for thought.

Still sick from dumping my NEW 79 401 chief,back in the day
                I STARTED MY LIFE WITH NOTHING,
                AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT!

============================

77 J-20/401/auto/AC (4 SALE) Sold 12/1/11
                77 J-10 GOLDEN EAGLE"SOLD"
                80 J-10 SPORTSIDE/"SOLD"
                78 j-10 HONCHO"SOLD"
                82 J-10 LAREDO "SOLD"
                82 J-10 SPORTSIDE/"SOLD"
                84 J-10 LAREDO/360/AUTO/AIR /traded 9/23/13

Comment

• dblankenbaker
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 30, 2010

Pics?
                  1989 Waggy=360/727/NP229/D44's/8"lift/36's/3.31's
                  1985 J20=The powertrain donor to my M677. But thinking about resurrecting the carcass as a short wheel base, topless, bobbed J20.
                  1982 J10 Sportside=360/727/NP208/D44HD+TruTrac/D60+DetroitLocker/4" lift/35's/4.10's
                  1967 M715=360/T98/NP205/38"XL/5.87's
                  1964 M677=360/727/NP208 build in process

Comment

• MadMax78
                    258 I6
                    • May 26, 2010

Don't sell it. You'll regret it later. I thought of selling mine as well. Didn't last long. Its paid for and doesn't cost anything sitting there. Its always there when I'm ready for it. Makes great yard art as well. I say keep it.
                    MadMax78
                    78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• SkylinePCG
                      258 I6
                      • Jan 11, 2005

If you want to sell it because youre uninterested/tired of it/hate wrenching/reminds you of ex girlfriend/etc., then by all means, put a sign on the windshield.

If however, its because of the cost of gas, thats a terrible reason. Like the guy from BJ's said, lots of secondary costs with picking up a newer vehicle. You can always make it up with your truck by consolidating errand runs, carpooling and exercising (riding a bike!).

In my recent youth (2004) I sold my badGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley MoogleyGreat Googley Moogley, black single cab/short bed Z71 Silverado because I didnt want to feed $2/gallon fuel to the 5.3 Regrets ever since. Now? I got a Tahoe and a cherokee on 35s, and Im looking forward to a rise in gas prices. Less jerks on the road!
                      1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
                      Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

• bigun
                        • Feb 10, 2003

Getting close to 6 bucks a gallon in FL

charlie
                        KB0HXA
                        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                        congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                        Robert A. Heinlein
                        The birth of CROM is recorded here
                        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                          Cherokee Outlaw
                          • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by Blake
                          Sounds like this summer might be a good time to pick up some FSJ's for cheap
                          x2. I can't wait. Gas prices have never affected what I drive. I'd rather spend big money on gas and have fun while doing it than look like a dweeb driving a gas saver.
                          -Jonny B.
                          1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                          7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                          AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                          NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                          F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                          R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                          1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                          1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                          1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• cma
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 26, 2012

you are crying on a high level...here in Austria 1 Liter Gas costs ? 1,45 actual! remember, 1 Gallon = ~ 3,78 Liter!

just do help you find the rigt way...
                            Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• shakari
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jul 17, 2004

Originally posted by cma
                              you are crying on a high level...here in Austria 1 Liter Gas costs € 1,45 actual! remember, 1 Gallon = ~ 3,78 Liter!

just do help you find the rigt way...
                              The cheapest I can buy here in central Portugal is E1.55 per litre for unleaded and E1.65 per litre for leaded.

The good news is that my Jeep has recently been valued (by 2 independent dealers) for between E25K - E30K which translates to $33K - $39600.

The bad news is I'm not allowed to sell it for 5 years unless I pay all the import taxes....... and that would wipe out the profit!
                              Last edited by shakari; 02-23-2012, 12:37 AM.
                              Steve Robinson AKA Shakari

Comment

Working...
                              X