• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • threepiece
    350 Buick
    • Sep 17, 2005

Unusual Frame Repair

I just added pictures and text to a build thread that I have on another forum. I would post them here but that process is too complicated for a technical retard like myself.

The frame stuff starts on page three. The rest of the build would be considered fluff as it is mostly all original with a few tips here and there.

I listed these parts for sale in the Homegrown Vender Forum here for anyone interested. Here is the link bellow.

FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
    We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
    We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
    Resistance is not futile yet.
    Are you and your children connected yet?
  • levelhead
    232 I6
    • Nov 04, 2016

You may be a tech retard but you are a fab genius....very nice work.
    1988 GW (2)
    1980 Cherokee Laredo
    1979 Wagoneer
    1976 J10 401
    1977 Wagoneer 401
    1977 J10 4 speed
    1969 J3000 (2)
    1955 CJ3B
    1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• Bob Barry
      Jeep Doctor
      • Apr 09, 2000

I vacuumed or blew out a whole mouse condo from my J-20's front frame horns; I'm sure that didn't help preserve the metal in the frame, so I will be snaking my Fluid Film tube in there to help preserve what's left.
      1987 J-20
      Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• threepiece
        350 Buick
        • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by levelhead
        You may be a tech retard but you are a fab genius....
        Not really, most anyone can do what I do if they are willing to put in 10,000 hours (or in my case 30,000 hours) and make sacrifices. Those who need not do either are the real geniuses.

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

A quick view of this looks really interesting. I like how you match the radius in the original frame steel and carry that radius into the long weld. I presume you cut this patch out of plate and bent it in the press brake? Maybe I did not read back far enough.

In the last post, you suggest thinning epoxy primer with reducer for better penetration into rust pits. I have used thinned epoxy for wood rot restoration, and I thinned with xylene. The more thinner, the better it penetrated the wood, but also the longer it took to harden. You can add enough solvent that the epoxy sets to a rubbery consistency, never hardening to the expected hardness. Might be interesting to test that with epoxy primer.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Hahaha! I had a hardcore mouse house in my frame horn when I swapped chassi's too. I was amazed at how much crap that little bugger put in there!

In your other thread you wrote:
            [QUOTE=threepiece]The form is made from 1
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• threepiece
              350 Buick
              • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by tgreese
              A quick view of this looks really interesting. I like how you match the radius in the original frame steel and carry that radius into the long weld. I presume you cut this patch out of plate and bent it in the press brake? Maybe I did not read back far enough.
              r.
              The panels were hammerformed. I did not use a press brake.

If you are interested in this sort of process you might look at my “FSJ Hybrid” build thread in the link below. There I show the process in much more detail. I actually completely boxed the frame of a Wagoneer with hammerformed pieces. The frame modifications start on page 10 but the entire thread has tips and explanations of various processes. I have a reputation of doing things that most would not.
              Last edited by threepiece; 12-02-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X