X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidpsalt
    232 I6
    • Aug 13, 2012

I haven't seen it up close and in person - however, I have seen several completed wagoneers that have used it. I'm not a big fan as the pattern looks more like balsa wood - the grain of the wood doesn't stand out like the OEM pattern.

I have to say - the Cherry Oak being used in this build thread looks the closest I have seen to OEM but appears slightly darker. However, if you look at some of the original brochures it appears very darker so we may be comparing it to today's faded wood grain!

Eitherway, I am seriously considering a full repaint and following the lead here by stripping all the wood and redoing it with the Cherry Oak!!
    Thanks!

Dave

1991 Final Edition Grand Wagoneer, Hunter Green, Sand Interior, factory Sunroof, all stock.
    1989 Grand Wagoneer, Baltic Blue, Sand Interior, all stock - Rust Free but needs paint and mechanical fixes!
    1976 Jeep CJ5 - 2 1/5" Lift, 258 6 cylinder, T150, Dana 20 & 30, TFI Upgrade, Wide Track Axles with disc brake upgrade.

Comment

• svining
      350 Buick
      • May 16, 2011

I did!

I used Nelson's Marine Teak (Metro Restyling). The pieces were cut out correctly, he sent me a couple pieces I screwed up, gratis! Also sent me the rear wind spoiler pieces. Its a side-line hobby-business for him and he's not quick on reply's etc. But Hey!! You can't beat his prices.

He now has original 3M I'm told.

Originally posted by Crist Clapper
      I seen this guy a few times on eBay... Has anyone used his woodgrain?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110969130249...84.m1423.l2649
      Flashlight
      "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
      1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
      Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• davidpsalt
        232 I6
        • Aug 13, 2012

Been way too long since some updated pics!!!

How is your build coming along? Would love to get an update and see how it looks..

Dave
        Thanks!

Dave

1991 Final Edition Grand Wagoneer, Hunter Green, Sand Interior, factory Sunroof, all stock.
        1989 Grand Wagoneer, Baltic Blue, Sand Interior, all stock - Rust Free but needs paint and mechanical fixes!
        1976 Jeep CJ5 - 2 1/5" Lift, 258 6 cylinder, T150, Dana 20 & 30, TFI Upgrade, Wide Track Axles with disc brake upgrade.

Comment

• tsorningold
          232 I6
          • Feb 08, 2012

re:

Well the most recent and time consuming fun has been removing the old adhisive from the trim. I hope next weekend I can strip the ugly overspray off and get it back on!

I still haven't had any luck finding replacement chrome trim for the rear window area and roof channels, but the search goes on.

~K
          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
          a.k.a. Black Beauty
          http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=161090

Comment

• davidpsalt
            232 I6
            • Aug 13, 2012

Thanks for the post. I am looking for the same chrome trim pieces. Will post if I find something

I am watching ur thread closely as you have me motivated to undertake the same project with mine. However, I have some spots of rust to deal with under the wood grain.
            Thanks!

Dave

Comment

• racegas
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 15, 2012

Removing adhesive

How did you do it?
              'Robert E Lee'
              89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• tsorningold
                232 I6
                • Feb 08, 2012

Heat lamp to soften the adhesive and a plastic scraper.
                1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                a.k.a. Black Beauty

Comment

• conehead
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 24, 2006

What the best way to get the woodgrain trim pieces off the car without ruining them?

Comment

• Kimbrough
                    304 AMC
                    • May 14, 2000

Originally posted by conehead
                    What the best way to get the woodgrain trim pieces off the car without ruining them?
                    I've used a heat gun/plastic scraper/patience with good results.
                    1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer. Chevy 350 TBI. 4-inch lift. 31-inch BFG AT's.

Comment

• tsorningold
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 08, 2012

Update: Molding going on!

Slow going in a heated garage with a heat gun, adhesive, and a tool for the rivets.

Not perfect but it is looking good! Going to have to address some small ripples in the molding with some liquid adhesive and the heat gun but so far so good!

Heard a rumor about a replacement vinyl to "restore molding", will investigate, if not I am going to do some light dry brushing and painting by hand.

~Kelly
                      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                      a.k.a. Black Beauty

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                        I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
                        • Apr 28, 2008

I really appreciate the effort and attention to detail!

This may not work for you... But I'll re-post just for reference:

All the edges/gaps of the woodgrain-trim looked good to me... Except the front and rear ends. I'm thinking because these are the narrow-est sections and they raised a-bit. So I did a little filler-ing with cabinet filler... Used to fill nail-holes and gaps. The product is just pliable enough to form... But is heat-tolerant, will not shrink, and will not go brittle.

So I formed and filled the gap(s), then blended/transitioned the filler into the neighboring trim. Disclaimer: These are close-ups that show any imperfections that don't appear in passing.

Before example:

After:

1990 Grand Wagoneer:
                        Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
                        Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

• davidpsalt
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 13, 2012

More pics!!! Looking great!!
                          Thanks!

Dave

Comment

• tsorningold
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 08, 2012

Crist that looks GREAT. What product did you specifically use?

~Kelly
                            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                            a.k.a. Black Beauty

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                              I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
                              • Apr 28, 2008

I don't have any names for you... Sorry. I got mine from a local shop that makes handmade cabinets. I did find a good description:

Fill Stick/Putty:
                              The fill is similar to a crayon or putty bar and can be used to fill in nail holes, deep scratches, cuts or gouges. Simply apply the fill stick with pressure to ensure it fully fills the defect. Excess can be carefully removed and smoothed to match. The area should then be wiped with a clean, dry, lint free cloth.

Originally posted by tsorningold
                              Crist that looks GREAT. What product did you specifically use?

~Kelly
                              1990 Grand Wagoneer:
                              Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
                              Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)

Comment

• tsorningold
                                232 I6
                                • Feb 08, 2012

jeep day!

Jeep day! The rest of the moldings went up and the old girl is being undercoated next week.

New Lug Nuts and screws!

This jeep is DIRTY. I don't even know if I should clean these seat-belts or buy new ones.
                                Started pulling the carpet as well.

This... this I know nothing about ha. Stay tuned.
                                1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                                a.k.a. Black Beauty

Comment

Working...
                                X