• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman1
    258 I6
    • Jul 22, 2015

HEI D'oh

I looked through the archived stuff, I really did.. So, what's the right wire to hook up from a stock 83 harness w/360 to an HEI (Summitt) dizzy? I have a two wire plug on my alt. TIA
    : 98 9er
    '83 Honcho j10
    '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
    '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21
  • J20 project
    304 AMC
    • Dec 27, 2000

Maybe looking in the wrong place for starters...

I set mine up by finding the approx. 10 ga switched power wire coming from the bulkhead connector area to the old electronic ignition brain on the driver side fenderwell.
    Cut that wire away from the brain box, grafted it to 10ga all the way to the hot wire of the new distributer. Having a 3 wire connector on the HEI, one is hot, the other is ground, the other is tach...

I didn't use a summit hei though.. Bought a generic gm style off of amazon. I did however switch over my distributer gear to the new distributer.

J20
    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• charlie500
      232 I6
      • Mar 25, 2012

I bought a Skip White for 50bucks it was awesome, but i didn't switch the new dizzy gear for the old gear and eventually the new dizzy gear tore up my old cam gear. Expensive lesson.

Comment

• charlie500
        232 I6
        • Mar 25, 2012

Cool comparison between MSD Street Fire and Skip White TSP here.

Comment

• amcdv
          230 Tornado
          • Nov 26, 2006

hei

ive always hooked up my power wires for hei and msd boxes to the "I" terminal on the solenoid mounted on the fenderwell.... not the "S" terminal....my 2 cents...amcdv

Comment

• Alys4x4
            230 Tornado
            • Oct 26, 2015

Assuming you are coming from a coil setup...the positive wire on your coil should be hot all times when key is on/cranking. Use that wire for your battery wire on HEI. you can also do a nifty relay setup with 10ga wire.

Comment

• jeepman1
              258 I6
              • Jul 22, 2015

yep had a coil on it previously.

Originally posted by Alys4x4
              Assuming you are coming from a coil setup...the positive wire on your coil should be hot all times when key is on/cranking. Use that wire for your battery wire on HEI. you can also do a nifty relay setup with 10ga wire.
              I will take the wire from the old horseshoe positive and hook it to the "batt" on the new dizzy..Thanks
              : 98 9er
              '83 Honcho j10
              '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
              '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• J20 project
                304 AMC
                • Dec 27, 2000

[QUOTE]will take the wire from the old horseshoe positive and hook it to the "batt" on the new dizzy..Thanks/QUOTE]
                Interesting, the gm style HEI I installed instructions said that it needed to be 10 ga all the way through. Th normal horseshoe type is what, 16 ga?
                BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

• J20 project
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 27, 2000

One thing to remember is that the coil hot wire is 12 volts at start and 6 volts at run.
                  BP Drivetrain...........

775-537-7918

Comment

Working...
                  X