X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtn goat
    304 AMC
    • Apr 30, 2001

Tad, sounds great...Lets see how bobs behaved on the way to Ouray. like I said, my dads is welded and I couldnt tell...even on the snow...except he didnt get stuck AND I DID. both chevys though
    \'82 Cherokee WIDE TRACK<br />258/T176/NP208/D44/20 Rack of Tad, BIG Orange fender, funny blue hood!<br />I must go and tend to my molecules, they need me to grow big and strong...Polymer Power!!!!

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Chet, you got it, gonna wire my garage for 220 by Xmas so I can bring home the big welders for some projects anyway.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Robber80
        350 Buick
        • Sep 14, 2002

irbob,
        how big or how small of a welder would work for this? My friend has a nice miller mig welder, but i'm not sure if it would do the job or not. do you need a heavy duty welder to weld the spiders? thanks.
        *Sold to move* off the frame tube buggy, front 35spline HPd60, rear 35 spline D60. Np203/205 doubled with 3.2 to 1 gear in the 203. TBI 350/th400. Full hydro. and 44s. come get some.

Comment

• irbob
          360 AMC
          • Apr 11, 2000

Guys I drove it 750 miles to Ouray and didn't even know it was welded. Like mentioned the only time is when cornering and even then it was just a little chirp here and there.

I used my Millermatic 172 W/gas, 220v on it's highest setting. My opinion is that if your welder will "WELD" it is large enough. You may have to run a couple beads but the main thing is to get the surface extreemly clean. Use a cleaner that leaves no residue and your set.

If you Tucson guys want to have a differential welding party let me know. I will bring my welder up and melt some steel. Just need a dryer outlet within 80 feet of any diff.
          Bob
          83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
          83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Robber80
            350 Buick
            • Sep 14, 2002

thanks! i've wanted to have a locker in the rear for a long time. does breakclean leave a residue?
            *Sold to move* off the frame tube buggy, front 35spline HPd60, rear 35 spline D60. Np203/205 doubled with 3.2 to 1 gear in the 203. TBI 350/th400. Full hydro. and 44s. come get some.

Comment

• Maynard
              350 Buick
              • Nov 15, 2000

a question just popped into my head. is the carrier in a diff balanced? if it is, then if you weld the spider gears and the welds arnt exactly the same on both sides wouldnt it cause a vibration? it prolly makes no difference, but i am just curious.

[ October 26, 2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Maynard ]
              1976 Cherokee Cheif<br />350 Chevy, Edelbrock 1406 carb with offroad kit, performer intake, th400, twinstick d20,<br />d44 4.09 gears, trac-loc diff f/r, 4\" suspension lift,2\" body lift, Revolver Shackles up front, Rancho 5012 shocks,<br />custom 35 gallon gas tank,<br />315/75R16 MT retread on 16x8 6lug white spokes

Comment

• irbob
                360 AMC
                • Apr 11, 2000

Brake cleaner is probly the best one and then carb cleaner. The spray cans are great cuz you can get into all the tight spots. Plan on 4-6 cans. I emptied my cabinet of all sorts of cleaners when I did mine and finished off with carb cleaner and air dried.

Great question on the vibration. I never thought about that. I actually got less noise and vibration after welding due to the fact that the spider gears had so much play in them. I rocked the tires back and fourth until the play was centered and then welded it. I'm pretty confident that the welds are very close to the same on both sides though. One thing to look out for though I'm sure. You wouldn't want to double the beads on one side and not the other or just weld one side.
                Bob

Comment

• MtnNate
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 26, 2001

Jeez! Maybe I will weld it! Decisions, decisions...
                  79\' Wagoneer 70k original!<br />SOA/33\'s/AMC360/TH400/QTw/Lo <br />My NEW Wag pics: <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/mtnnate/Jeep\" target=\"_blank\">www.geocities.com/mtnnate/Jeep</a>

Comment

• Sambo
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Sep 25, 2001

nate, i have my rear axle welded up and only chirp around corners on pavement...also for pavement you'll want to keep the tires aired up to the max(helps keep the chirp down)...offroad you'll be king

[ October 26, 2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Sambo ]
                    77 chero DEAD.
                    84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Robber80
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 14, 2002

if it is done right, is welding the diffs considered pretty strong? i know it can't be any stronger than the case, but compared to a lockright or something like that.

Comment

• GT71Wagoneer
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 27, 2002

Ok, dumb question time.

If I weld the spider gears in my D30 Front the only time the wheels will chirp is when the hubbs are locked and when turning? and the tcase in in 4wd?

If that is the case then it seems like a very good cheap option.

Lemme know guys, thanks GT71
                        The new one:<br /><br />84 Cherokee Sportsman, White paint, 360AMC, TF727-np208, a-c, pwr steer, D44 front AMC20 rear, Rear wheel carrier and generally in bloody good shape<br /><br />My first Jeep <br />Baby powder sky blue, VOMIT :0~@@@ applied with oil based house paint with brush and roller (Previous owner)<br />71 wag - Dead stock apart from PTO - front (Being repaired)<br />D30 <br />D44 <br />Dual fuel<br />Rambler 258 to T15 3 speed <br />3 inch lift with 3 step big bore Powerdown shokkers <br />31x10x7 BFG AT\'s

Comment

• irbob
                          360 AMC
                          • Apr 11, 2000

Welding does the same thing as a spool does, only cheaper. It is very strong. I believe the axles would go b4 the welded gears would.

I'm not to sure but I've heard some say hear that they unlock the hubs and it's like driving with an open diff. Is that true guys. I haven't gotten into the fron't axle as of yet but with the 44WT I think I will be in there soon. Or maybe not. I put my rig through everything that I think I'll ever use it for and don't quite see a need to lock the front just yet. It would go anywhere around here.
                          Bob

Comment

• blt2krl
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Apr 03, 2001

Ya irbob welded diffs are strong but no were close to as strong as a spool. It would be a toss up between the case and the axles as far as which will break first.
                            Paul Hartman
                            79 waggoneer
                            AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                            DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                            39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                            www.cbioffroadfab.com
                            WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• irbob
                              360 AMC
                              • Apr 11, 2000

Yes I can agree with that since the spool is one solid chunck of metal. In either case the I don't want to see which one would win the toss up. Not with one of "MY" axles anyway. LOL
                              Bob

Comment

• blt2krl
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Apr 03, 2001

LOL, I here that.
                                Paul Hartman
                                79 waggoneer
                                AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                                DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS