• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
    There is a snubber. It mounts on the passenger side of the front output yoke with an "L" bracket.
    I thought so. I see partsdude4x4.com sells the whole post and bushing assembly pretty cheap. Mostly Jeepster parts but he has a lot for full size jeeps. Thanks for posting. I must be getting old. I can't remember some things.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

Spent most of the day swapping out generator panels for a 10 circuit one. The power company had us down all day so I went for it. I wanted to do this two years ago. I am putting the 6 circuit one in the shop so I can work when we lose power here. It seems to be happening a lot this year already. 15 inches of snow on our first dump. About 20 trees down on our road. 19 degrees and dropping

Back on my favorite Sadie first thing.

EDIT: Thought I would post these up.

Primed heater parts. And Cerakote clear on a bunch of small parts. Here is a tip on cerakote. It is water thin. You can avoid the costs of a very expensive small spray gun (like cerakote recommends) and purchase a preval spray unit from the hardware store. Preval units like thin materials. It sprays small parts beautifully and rinses with acetone to use as long as the cylinder keeps pressure and lasts. Pour the remaining cerakote back in it's original container (no catalyst) and use it again later. It is the strongest hi temp clear coat available anywhere.

Primed stuff. The factory did not use primer. And there must have been 10 runs on these heater parts. I aim to do better than that.

I need to keep the 70 wagon exposed so I can verify assembly. This is about 1 day into snowzilla. D:

More soon.
      Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 11-06-2017, 10:15 PM.
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

There is a moose on the loose. Judging by the tracks, it's a big one. It is not smart to go trucking out the front door without taking a look right and left. I have walked into them before.

So a few steps backwards but still moving ahead. I have put a 4 barrel manifold back on Sadie at Bill's request despite wagoneers all coming of the factory line with 2 barrel carbs. I swapped him my X model 2 barrel for his 4 barrel about 15 years ago. I had an extra correct 4 barrel manifold and the correct 1970 buick rochester carb!! all I needed was an ebay 4 barrel air cleaner. I checked it today for fit and alignment with the warm air riser for cold starts. And the breather hole in the air cleaner body for the valve cover I found was on the wrong side. I will have to move it and cut a new square hole to keep it sanitary. Then I found that the cleaned, surfaced and painted exhaust manifold would not accept the tin heat shield. It was a different casting. Remember the young kid that ruined both exhaust manifolds by surfacing them wrong? Well this was a replacement and it is not going to allow me to utilize the heat riser. I want the warm air cold start system to function like original.
        So I ended up pulling a drivers side manifold off the 70 wag in the yard. Thankfully the heat riser tin was in great shape as well as the manifold. No cracks so far as I could see. I took that manifold and the two ruined ones to an engine builder today to see if they could save them. I get them back tomorrow.

The difference. A recess in the painted one where the original Jeep 350 is thicker. I will save this one for another engine.

Thankfully I asked the engine builder what paint he used for the manifold.
        SEM high temp cast color. And I have a can here.

I found the heat riser tube from the 70 in the yard does not line up with the air cleaner. I will cut it short right above the cylinder head and weld on a short tube for the flex hose. More delays in planting the engine. It has to be right and functional.

Then I found a L bracket on a spare Dana 20. With a new snubber post assembly on the way that is as good as done. And I found both Sadies and my original adapter bar that goes under the aluminum adapter between the trans and transfer case. I always thought it was aluminum also. Not so as it is soft steel. Both Sadies and my bar were damaged and not usable till a repair was done. I fortunately found an undamaged one under a spare TH400 in the garage. Sadies is the one with the bolt sticking up. Worn with a huge recess from the adapter coming loose and rubbing the heck out of the bar, bolting this up now would surely result in broken ears on the trans to transfer adapter. Mine had a broken ear already as you can see from the deep scar.

I have a good fix for this. I surfaced Sadies and I will use either JB weld or preferably panel adhesive to glue down a stainless steel sheet metal plate that will flatten out the entire foot under the adapter. And be tougher than the mild steel bar. Sadie will get the perfect adapter and if Owen is reading up here, I will sell him a cheap repaired one and keep a repaired one for myself.

Here is what is counter intuitive. The adapter and the bar are wedge shaped. Unfortunately not a simple flat bar with holes. I would think they would mate up like this to keep the rubber mount flat on the crossmember. Nope, this is wrong as every one I took apart was the same.

This is how I found all of them and the wear patterns on the damaged ones. Why they did it this way I don't know. But this is the right way apparently.
        It makes quite an angle.

And the carpet showed up. The box was close to a hundred pounds.
        It looks great and I can't wait to install it.

This showed up also. I have had these on my Ebay watch list for about a year. I struggled with the price. But I need it now. I take a metric poop ton of pictures and I still need help. I have only a few illustrations missing and I gained part numbers and exploded views of a lot of stuff. This is awesome for a jeep guy like me. Want a part number for a specific seat color???

Here is some of the goodies.

The heater.

A regular pre 73 steering column.

How about a X model or Super tilt column.

The dash.

I was up late searching for E brake pedal pads. Number 935528 I found a closed down business with an active phone number and am still trying .

I am super pleased to have this resource. Part numbers galore.

I need to get to makerpoint and laser out some door panel blanks. My membership is close to being up and unused. That is going to the front burner real fast.

More soon.
        Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 11-08-2017, 08:06 PM.
        Melford1972 says...
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• nightglide
          232 I6
          • Jan 06, 2015

I am definitely in for a cheap repaired one! Thank you! I had no idea they were angled.........
          Thanks
          Owen

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by nightglide
            I am definitely in for a cheap repaired one! Thank you! I had no idea they were angled.........
            Thanks
            Owen
            Give me a couple days Owen. I worked on door panels till late last night. By late weekend I should have a good adapter bar for you. I will PM you my paypal info. I am going to laminate a layer of Stainless on top with panel adhesive. I will most likely post a picture so you can see it. Panel adhesive is stronger than the metal it holds. It has corrosion inhibitors also.
            Melford1972 says...
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

Unfortunately the exhaust manifolds were not able to be machined. The two scrap ones were cracked after a magnaflux check, and the one I needed for sure he said they could not chuck it up correctly. So I will take it to the place I had the other done or to the engine builder that did Sadies total rebuild. I am going tomorrow when I go to makerpoint for door panel work. At least they did not ruin the good one.

My membership at makerpoint expires on the 22nd. Time to get in there and make good on the costs of signing up. I stayed up late last night carefully removing the vinyl from the panels. After nearly a year of soaking them with 303 they came off really nice. The vinyl is still stiff but it is flexible.
              First I had to pull a lot of short rusty staples. I won't be using staples again.

Cutting the foam under the vinyl. The edges and the vinyl that wraps around the edge was still pretty stiff. If any of you do this restoration process, be sure to soak the underside of the fold.

Off it came. By working your hand under it it will separate. Go at an angle to the heat imprinted lines. Less chance of splitting the vinyl because it will no doubt be weaker there.

Today was a day of documenting the pattern I need for front and back door blanks. I started using the old panels. Then I discovered a problem. A big one. The panels and the vinyl had shrunk. The edges receded back nearly an inch from the bottom rear edge. The vinyl will not fit well over correct size panel boards. I am still trying to figure out what to do here. The vinyl is two pieces covered by the trim strip. So I cannot try to stretch it far at all.
              I will try to work with it but I might need to build pattern press grates to make all new panels . For now my goal is to have correct backer panels done and I will get the rest figured out before Sadie is back in bills hands this spring.
              The panel was unreliable for any dimensions. Look at the shrinkage.

So I used the tried and true method of pressure impressions to a secure pattern taped in position so it would not move. Fingernails, thumbs, and a pencil.

Then carefully measuring all of it for reference points. Both a front door and a rear door.

I will laser cut two out and check for corrections. Tomorrows goal is to learn Fusion 360 enough to get a file started, and I plan on taking everything with me including the vinyl to ask about CNC plasma cutting the pattern press grates. I hope I get far enough to go to Home depot for a sheet of wafer board. I don't think I will get that far though. I have to build the electronic file to do all this. There were a ton of measurements. You never know though.

I am so close to installing the engine and gear boxes, but I need to keep on this for now.
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• nightglide
                232 I6
                • Jan 06, 2015

I have just started to learn fusion 360. It takes a min to learn but once you do its pretty amazing the stuff you can design. You'll start looking at parts as polygons when ever you look at something lol

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                  360 AMC
                  • Oct 02, 2002

I almost finished a front door panel. I need to locate the clip holes. I should have made vertical center lines on each pattern to measure away horizontally at known points to establish the right and left edges. They are not straight or 90 degrees to the top. The rear door and it's big curve specifically. I am establishing that first thing. Then continuing.

I'm better with a pile of rocks. Not drawing them. But this is fun and I am learning something.
                  Melford1972 says...
                  -----------------------
                  I make wag parts
                  1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                  1968 M715 restomod
                  2001 Dodge 3500
                  2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                    Shakes hands with danger
                    • Jul 01, 2012

Is there a particular reason you're not using MIB's door panels?

I can make all interior panels, front, rear doors, cargo, tailgate and kickpanels Black ABS is 1/8" Door and Cargo panels $45.00 each Tailgate panel $65.00 Kick panels are $25.00 a pair Three piece headliner $130.00 Price includes all the holes window, latch, armrest, speaker your choice. (also can do
                    '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                    High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                      Is there a particular reason you're not using MIB's door panels?

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=125368
                      The pictures in his thread don't show. So I can't see what is offered. I suspect they are ABS panels and I want a stock appearance. Meaning embossed vinyl and chrome or silver flake trim strips. I was hoping to use Sadies original vinyl on new straight panels. But they have shrunk and may not fit well on correct panels. I am working on the CAD designs for them right now. I should be doing a laser cut cardboard sample to test fit in a week or so.

I have every intention of learning how to create what I am mentioning above. And I will. Creations like that take hours and hours of trial and error. I will tackle it before Sadie leaves here if the originals won't work well. To finalize your question, I get a lot of satisfaction from the learning and seeing the final product. What I have learned in the last few years is priceless. Self induced college.

One thing though, It would be nice if he fixed his pictures so we could see what he is making. I am sure they are a fine product and I would like to see them.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Power outage number 6 is finally over.... Geez.

Taking a short break from the door panel drawings I fixed both bad adapter bars from the transmission Transfer mount.

I cleaned and glass beaded them. Then used corks in the bolt holes to keep panel adhesive out of them. I am laminating a stainless steel sheet metal piece on for the feet of the aluminum adapter. It is very hard stuff. Filling the wear damage.

Clamped and curing.

What I used. This stuff will never separate. I also used it on the new stainless gas pedal pad to glue it to the drivers side floor.

Back to the door panels...
                        Melford1972 says...
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                          The pictures in his thread don't show. So I can't see what is offered. I suspect they are ABS panels and I want a stock appearance. Meaning embossed vinyl and chrome or silver flake trim strips. I was hoping to use Sadies original vinyl on new straight panels. But they have shrunk and may not fit well on correct panels. I am working on the CAD designs for them right now. I should be doing a laser cut cardboard sample to test fit in a week or so.

I have every intention of learning how to create what I am mentioning above. And I will. Creations like that take hours and hours of trial and error. I will tackle it before Sadie leaves here if the originals won't work well. To finalize your question, I get a lot of satisfaction from the learning and seeing the final product. What I have learned in the last few years is priceless. Self induced college.

One thing though, It would be nice if he fixed his pictures so we could see what he is making. I am sure they are a fine product and I would like to see them.
                          I believe the pictures in the beginning of the thread probably fell away due to photobucket. The pictures on the last few pages are showing up for me though.
                          '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                          (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

Yikes, I just went to the first page. Ah the memories

They were there to see. I have been concerned about PB wrecking the thread. I am not sure why they did not show for you. Hopefully it is something simple.

Fusion 360 has stopped working well on my laptop. Claims of an outdated graphics driver. Attempts to update them have not worked so far. I was hoping to work on the file here at home. I have grid mapped the doors to make sure the laser cuts are where they are supposed to be. I will probably go back in a day or three and continue on at Makerpoint. Lots to do.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• SJTD
                              304 AMC
                              • Apr 26, 2012

They all work for me. I'm a paying customer until I expire. Dunno if that makes a difference.
                              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by SJTD
                                They all work for me. I'm a paying customer until I expire. Dunno if that makes a difference.
                                I think it was just a hiccup for him. They seem fine so far (crossing fingers).
                                Melford1972 says...
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X