WHAT DOES THE STATE OF THESE SPARK PLUGS MEAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYCMOS
    232 I6
    • Jul 22, 2015

WHAT DOES THE STATE OF THESE SPARK PLUGS MEAN?

My engine was running a little rough so I did a tuneup and changed the plugs. The plugs look rough.

• wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

there shot. need a closer look to tell why

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

First impression: you've got issues. Hard to tell though from that pic. Got any better pics of just the business ends?
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• NYCMOS
        232 I6
        • Jul 22, 2015

I'll take better picture tomorrow, seems heavily ash fouled. Runs fine now, wondered if it was a sight my valve guide seals are in need of replacement.

Comment

• FSJunkie
          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
          • Jan 09, 2011

These engines tend to ash foul even when they're in perfect running condition and don't burn oil.

They look like they just have a ton of miles on them. Should have been replaced long ago.
          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• NYCMOS
            232 I6
            • Jul 22, 2015

The problem is they aren't that old or have that many miles on them. I pulled them to get look at them because of rough idle and wanted to do compression testing. Once I saw how bad they were knew they needed to get replaced. No it runs fine. No noticeable loss of oil why I was thinking maybe valve guide seals.

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by FSJunkie

They look like they just have a ton of miles on them. Should have been replaced long ago.
              Yep. One looks clean, maybe that was replaced, or running lean? Lots of deposits - something in the fuel? I'd get some new ones and run them for a while. Then pull and assess.

Also, there is black carbon that's typical of cold start, with tan insulators. Ideally you drive the car on the highway and look at the plugs after that to avoid the cold-start appearance.

Bad valve seals tend to give you a puff of blue smoke at the tailpipe when you back off of the throttle. Vacuum goes up and pulls more oil in through the valve stems. Have you checked the compression, wet and dry? Have you felt the exhaust for a steady stream or puff-puff?
              Last edited by tgreese; 10-03-2016, 07:08 AM.
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FSJunkie
                The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                • Jan 09, 2011

Those plugs are severely worn. The electrodes are nearly completely gone from several of them. I don't care about their color or deposits, I'm looking at the electrode wear that indicates mileage.

Exactly how many miles did you put on them? Those are not platinum plugs; they need to be replaced every 12,000 to 15,000 miles. Those look like they have well over double that.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• NYCMOS
                  232 I6
                  • Jul 22, 2015

They have around 10,000 miles on them, not sure why they are so worn so early.

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

Really

Originally posted by NYCMOS
                    They have around 10,000 miles on them, not sure why they are so worn so early.

Clearly byproducts of a tired worn out mis-tuned motor. Pretty clear she's tired. The unballanced burn detects you need to run a compression check. That's Rings & valves

The bad plug wires causing the arc burns aren't helping either.
                    Last edited by serehill; 10-03-2016, 04:49 PM.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Edlebrock performer intake
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs
                    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• NYCMOS
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Compression seems good, all cylinders are between 135-145. Runs fine now, hand an electrical issue in past few months where I think I was getting weak spark, maybe be the culprit. Fine now so I'll check it in a few months.

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

Absolurely

Could be bad spark. You would have not convinced me it had that kind of compression. Then it was really badly tuned.
                        Last edited by serehill; 10-04-2016, 08:41 AM.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Possibly go to a hotter spark plug to burn that stuff off. Are you using the correct heat -range?

Comment

• Shep 762
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 03, 2016

Means it's time to sell it. I'll give you $270 and you don't have to worry about it ever again

Comment

• letank
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jun 03, 2002

the plugs look tired but not too bad compared to mine that did not show any signs of troubles, but it had been 6 years and I took a peek... funny, because these passed smog with flying colors...
                              thank you TFI and large cap distributor

Michel
                              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X