• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J76137
    232 I6
    • Sep 03, 2019

Yet Another Cherokee Side Window Thread

I have been looking for replacements for the Cherokee side windows with little luck. I did find a number of items that C.R. Laurence sells, available through PK Supplies, that could work. They range from $90-$120 depending on the style and come on a 50' roll. I think one of these could work with some careful miters of the sharp corners and some sealer for added measure.

I am curious if any of you have tried anything like this. I am trying not to pull the windows but the seals are pretty dry rotted so they are likely to come out sooner rather than later. Feedback is appreciated.

C.R. Laurence search for "rubber w/strip"

PK Supply
    PK Supplies distributes a wide variety of glass and glazing, construction, automotive and safety supply products.
    My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.
  • J76137
    232 I6
    • Sep 03, 2019

My wife is a bad influence and convinced me to pull the glass out. So, after we got it all out I did some measuring of the window and the lip seam. I think I can make this gasket work.
    [IMG]AS893_10803 by John Armstrong, on Flickr[/IMG]
    I found it on Amazon for $94 plus shipping and tax. It is a one piece seal and comes with 50 feet to a roll so I think I have enough to play with.

Comment

• elskeptico
      350 Buick
      • Sep 03, 2003

One man's opinion: you might be better off trying to source a pair of good used seals. I just pulled the glass out of my 79, and the seals are in good condition, plenty good to use again, not rotted at all.
      1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.

Comment

• J76137
        232 I6
        • Sep 03, 2019

Originally posted by elskeptico
        One man's opinion: you might be better off trying to source a pair of good used seals. I just pulled the glass out of my 79, and the seals are in good condition, plenty good to use again, not rotted at all.
        I thought about that. I may try to use the old ones but they are pretty dry. I like the idea of a challenge also. If I can figure out how to make new seals it could help others.

Comment

• Soupy
          230 Tornado
          • May 24, 2020

I feel the pain of trying to find seals as well. My cherokee project came with the glass but no seals so I did not have anything to reference to. I have been trying to find pictures or used seals for awhile. It would be interesting to see if the universal seal will work.

Comment

• J76137
            232 I6
            • Sep 03, 2019

Originally posted by Soupy
            I feel the pain of trying to find seals as well. My cherokee project came with the glass but no seals so I did not have anything to reference to. I have been trying to find pictures or used seals for awhile. It would be interesting to see if the universal seal will work.
            I have it in my head that I can make the universal seals work. I have not had time to work out the glue or epoxy method yet but I feel like there is a way to make it work. I have seen it done before but paid little attention to it so I cannot speak to its efficacy. I will certainly share the results of this experiment. If it works it would help all of us a lot.

Comment

• fsj454
              Long time member
              • Jan 02, 2015

Glass

What type of window glass 1 piece or 2 piece . Solid or flip out windows .
              1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• J76137
                232 I6
                • Sep 03, 2019

Originally posted by fsj454
                What type of window glass 1 piece or 2 piece . Solid or flip out windows .
                I have the two piece windows with the flip out front. If you, or anyone else, knows where to get the hardware for the flipper window that would help out a great deal. I am afraid I am going to have to fabricate some parts.

Comment

• fsj454
                  Long time member
                  • Jan 02, 2015

2 piece side glass

All I have is is the .. 2 rear large sections of glass with rubbers 1975 Cherokee 2 door Flip out windows rear sections
                  1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

Working...
                  X