• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J76137
    232 I6
    • Sep 03, 2019

Long Time Lurker...First Time Poster.

Hey y'all. It is awesome to see such a good community of people on here. Even though this type of online community is dying a slow death I love that there are some that sill use forums. There is a great wealth of knowledge to be found in these pages.

I have been reading some of the build threads and learning a few interesting tidbits. For example, the drain hole for the fresh air vent. I hadn't thought about it but after reading one of the build threads I was able to clean it out with a shop vac and an air hose. I am really glad I read it. Huge thanks to whomever shared it.

I am excited once more to be working on my '78 Chief and hope to have it on the road soon.
    My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Welcome to the fun. There is a great deal of experience here. I have only recently been more present here myself. Let's see what you have.

Here is my project since 1995.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• J76137
      232 I6
      • Sep 03, 2019

I keep trying to upload a pic but it always tells me the file size is too large. Suggestions are welcome. I can build a car but cant upload a picture?

Comment

• J76137
        232 I6
        • Sep 03, 2019

Ha! Flickr to the rescue. This was the day I brought her home.
        [IMG]Untitled by John Armstrong, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this is her at the moment.
        [IMG]Untitled by John Armstrong, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
          304 AMC
          • May 01, 2004

Clean looking rig. Looks like it is in really solid shape. I like the color.
          One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
          http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
          95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
          50 CJ3A
          77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Be from Be
            232 I6
            • Jan 27, 2017

Looks like it is in good shape. What are your plans with it?
            1978 Cherokee Chief
            360 V8 Automatic
            Quadra Trac w/ Mile Marker conversion
            4" Skyjacker

Comment

• J76137
              232 I6
              • Sep 03, 2019

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
              Clean looking rig. Looks like it is in really solid shape. I like the color.
              I like the color as well. It looks like a color from a Kaiser in the late 60s. Unfortunately, one of the previous owners dumped a gallon of PPG paint on it with what looks to be very poor prep. All of that paint will have to come off and I am thinking about painting it a blue color. Possibly even raptor liner since I want to be able to drive it and not worry about dings and scratches.

Originally posted by Be from Be
              Looks like it is in good shape. What are your plans with it?
              Thank you. It really was a deal that I could not say no to. Overall I would say that it is in great condition. The only major rust was found on the floor pans. My original plan was to get it legal to drive, make the gauges work like they

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Super cool!!! I am usually not a fan of bedliner on external body parts but it looks really good on yours! I especially dig the roof! That bedliner will look super aweome up there with a satin or glass black roof rack and some lights! Looking forward to seeing it come along! Thanks for joining the posting world!

I notice on your firewall, you don't have the heat shield on the passenger side. Did you remove it? Are you putting it back on? Mine looked like some high school welder put it on (the welds looked like hairless caterpillars).
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J76137
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 03, 2019

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  Super cool!!! I am usually not a fan of bedliner on external body parts but it looks really good on yours! I especially dig the roof! That bedliner will look super aweome up there with a satin or glass black roof rack and some lights! Looking forward to seeing it come along! Thanks for joining the posting world!

I notice on your firewall, you don't have the heat shield on the passenger side. Did you remove it? Are you putting it back on? Mine looked like some high school welder put it on (the welds looked like hairless caterpillars).
                  Thanks! I am glad to be here. I did try to join the other FSJ forum but would never get a confirmation email no matter how many times I tried. I think that one is dead.

This build is meant to be able to double as an adventure rig for camping so the bedliner will work well. I do not know what brand the previous owner used but it is not holding up very well so I am going to have to strip it and reapply it. I am still thinking about the roof rack idea. I had considered building one that looks similar to original equipment but a little more rugged.

You have an eye for detail. I was wondering if anyone would notice the missing heat shield. I removed them because I needed to paint behind them and I wanted a cleaner look. I plan to use exhaust wrap to cut down on the heat from the exhaust. I will be building a heat shield that will attach to the muffler using the old heat shield material that I took off. It will also help keep dirt and mud from collecting between the heat shields and the floorpans.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Ah! That makes perfect sense (heat shield).

Bummer (bedliner). Hopefully that is not too much of a pain. A member on here used to make a SUPER nice FSJ specific rack called a TAD Rack. He open sourced all the design for them so you can either make your own or bring it to a fab place and have them make it. (These pics found on Google)
                    TAD RACK Files
                    They look really nice and fit the truck well.

Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J76137
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 03, 2019

I do not expect the bedliner to be too difficult to get off. If I remember correctly, mastic remover should take it off. Of course, an angle grinder with a stiff wire wheel will also take it off.

I will have to look at the rack files and see if I can use them. My wife has it in her head that she wants to buy a CNC plasma cutter for some projects we do around the house. That will mean I can make jeep parts myself and not have to buy them.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Here is one in Texas done in bed-liner.
                        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• J76137
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 03, 2019

I saw that one on Pinterest a while back when I was looking for ideas. That is pretty close to the color I am thinking about.

Comment

Working...
                          X