• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JunkyardFSJ
    232 I6
    • Feb 05, 2012

Needin some Tcase swap advice.

I've been lurking in the forums for awhile now trying to figure this one out.

-I've read about a flip kit for the 300 but its outta my price range.
    -Not a fan of the spicer 18/20 even tho I know of three just sitting
    around(i'm willing to be convinced otherwise)
    -I'd LOVE a 205 but it's not likely to be found near me PLUS I know
    they come in different flavors but am not sure what I'd need.
    -I'm ignorant as to what else is viable.
    -I'd LIKE to have a gear driven case but id go w a chained unit of good
    reputation.

What I've got -- 84 GW with a 727/np228

what I'd like -- A "near" bolt-in stronger t-case.

my plans are not totally decided yet but its gonna be at minimum a recovery rig, but def a daily driver and i do get into some pretty brutal stuff when im out checkin traps in the high mountain desert terrain of Virginia City/Reno area of NV.

so I guess in the end, what other options do I have for a real solid upgrade?
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

Cheapest easiest would be FSJ np208 part time chain drive case. Regardless of what you swap in you've still got the vacuum front axle to deal with in 84 so don't immediately tear out and throw away all the vac stuff.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• GI-John
      258 I6
      • Apr 11, 2006

Swap to a Passenger drop axle and run the 300 or D20?
      Just Emptying Every Pocket

Comment

• JunkyardFSJ
        232 I6
        • Feb 05, 2012

The Pass-side drop is def an "ideal" move. Being my primary vehicle It's not feasible due to downtime unfortunately, I have a mercedes turb-diesel as a backup vehicle but nothing works anymore lol. power windows inop heater wont turn off and a/c inop. I live in the nevada desert so yea, that car wil kill me.

Back on track, the 2o8 case is worth the time to justify the effort i guess eh?

On another note i JUST found out that a yard local to me is going to quit the salvage parts biz and i know for a fact he has every xfercase ever made...maybe more.

What flavor 205 do we FSJ'ers look for?
        -divorced or not?
        -if non-divorced xfercase are they all the same if the driver drop is correct?
        -is there different internal configurations to steer clear of?

**If anyone needs some parts in the drivetrain dept. plz lemme know. I live in Reno NV so consider distance, while im lookin around over the next handful of days i can keep my eyes out for any of u guys.

the place is called dean's machines in carson city, hes a really nice guy but when you first talk to him he sounds like he's either pissed or having the worst day ever lol. After visiting w him multiple times I came to understand dean more, that's just his way

I bought my complete front header panel stuffed w all the parts to do my Rhino grille conversion for 30 bucks from there so yea his prices are insanely good!!

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

You want a 208 from a 1980 up FSJ. GM also used the 208 but it's the wrong side drop so you're back to an axle swap to make it work.
          205's are bullet proof but do you really "need" one? Some are right/left drop some are divorced/married but none are cheap to come by. Don't know if married or divorced would be better for you rig. I've got a divorced pass side output for a project that burned up in a shop/yard fire before I used it but I went with way overkill 205 cause it was the only divorced case I could find with a 1:1 high range. But very few folks "need" a 205. Go find a FSJ 208 and the rear drive shaft that was behind it and live happy.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

Jeep 208 is the closest to a drop in as you can get. It bols up, but you need need drive shaft changes. Which you will need with anything. But you don't need any expensive adapters.

Comment

• JunkyardFSJ
              232 I6
              • Feb 05, 2012

Thank You joe and Stuka! My new focus will be based on a 208 case now thanks to the enlightenment of you both You're exactly right in that i do not "need" a 205.

Dean im sure has a 208 case in his yard, I've personally seen some spicer 20's and more than one 300 laying around. I've definately seen 3-4 205's still connected to a ford drivetrain AND driver side drop on all.

If I am unable to find a 208, but have access to one of the 205's i mentioned I'm sure it'll be a 20 dollar bill, should i just take em home at that point?

any follow-up would be appreciated

Comment

• 68glad
                350 Buick
                • Jun 01, 2006

Originally posted by JunkyardFSJ
                If I am unable to find a 208, but have access to one of the 205's i mentioned I'm sure it'll be a 20 dollar bill, should i just take em home at that point?

Won't work w/ your tranny but I'd buy all of the 32 spline input 205's for $20 your truck will carry. Make some $$$$ on them. Came behind the th400. Hard to find. Get the adapter too.
                68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
                78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• JunkyardFSJ
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 05, 2012

Uhm I dunno if this is still being read or not, but I (being a newb) have to ask this.

I had a cherokee that i could shift the tcase on the fly in mixed road conditions, which was very nice as i remember. I'm going to be driving donner pass during winter months very regularly, and that drive can be fairly hairy w lots of dry patches mixed w alot of turns. This could be problematic w the wrong case choice on my part.

do i need a part time case or something that shifts on the fly or a mod I can buy or ??

Being that this just dawned on me and i know that t-cases arent all created equal I'd give my left fender to find this out lol.

Comment

• Stuka
                    • Jan 21, 2001

I shift my 208 on the fly all the time. I just have to have to hubs locked ahead of time. However, I can only drive in 4WD in real snow. Not on regular pavement.

For that you need a case with a full time / AWD mode.

If thats what you want, then you need to look for an NP242. They came in Cherokee's and Libtery's from 1989 to present. They have 2wd, 4wd High Full Time, 4wd High Part Time, and 4wd Low Part Time. They are durable and really a best of all worlds case.

And I don't know this for sure, but I think one from behind an AW4 (Cherokee) will fit in behind on your TF727. But again I do not know this for sure. Oh, and they are driver drop as well, so that works for you.

Comment

What about a Dodge NP205 from a 727. They are 23 spline and should bolt to the Jeep trans. RH drop though.
                      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• grimgaunt
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 06, 2002

Any 23 -spline 242-J (1990 and up) will fit your 727, giving you the best of everything. I am not sure if a spacer ring ($50 or so) is needed - can anyone verify ???

The 242 lasts quite well behind a Dodge 5.2 and should do just fine behind a 360.

Comment

• derf
                          360 AMC
                          • Jul 12, 2001

Originally posted by grimgaunt
                          Any 23 -spline 242-J (1990 and up) will fit your 727, giving you the best of everything. I am not sure if a spacer ring ($50 or so) is needed - can anyone verify ???

The 242 lasts quite well behind a Dodge 5.2 and should do just fine behind a 360.
                          I have one sitting in my garage, waiting to go in my wagon as soon as I'm done with the transmission upgrade on the truck. I'll post up what I find when I get it in.
                          Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• JunkyardFSJ
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 05, 2012

killer information guys. thanks all =)

Comment

There is regular 242 and 242 HD with wider chain
                              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                              X