• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pnlombardi
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 18, 2015

Leaf Springs

Greetings from South Florida. I am in the process of doing pretty much a complete restoration on my '89 GW.

It has high mileage on it and as such my springs were worn out. I ordered a set of 4 from Team Grand Wagoneer which indicates that they are the "stock height" however after installation they are anything but stock height.

FRONT LEAF SPRING PART# J5362950

REAR LEAF SPRING PART # J5362956

Maybe I should take some pictures and include them in this post but before doing so, i wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion of what i may have missed.

My intent was not to lift the suspension but to keep it stock.

Any thoughts? Many thanks!!
    Peter
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

What's the issue, sitting lower or higher than expected? You can bet either way they'll still settle a bit more.
    The factory TSM has ride height specs. It'll include overall height, rear cargo deck height, drivers sill plate/step height etc. Assuming you have stock size tires, those would be the areas to measure.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• pnlombardi
      230 Tornado
      • Aug 18, 2015

Joe,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being more clear.

The issue is that the car is clearly sitting hire than the stock height.

What i failed to also mention is that I also purchased this body mount kit from TGW as well. it doesnt say in the description that the kit will raise the height but perhaps it did.

We are the Largest Full Size Jeep Parts Seller in the World, Specialize in Grand Wagoneer & Full Size Cherokee! We ship Worldwide!

I was primarily trying to determine if anyone else had ever installed the leafs I mentioned in my last post.

THanks again!

Peter

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Curious, did you crank the spring packs down tight w/o the car weight on the springs..not a good thing. If so loosen the spring bolts while on the ground, then re-torque the bolts to spec. Then go take a spirited ride on a crap rough dirt road and hope things settle in.
        joe

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by joe
          Curious, did you crank the spring packs down tight w/o the car weight on the springs..not a good thing. If so loosen the spring bolts while on the ground, then re-torque the bolts to spec. Then go take a spirited ride on a crap rough dirt road and hope things settle in.
          Exactly! I did that when I replaced my springs a couple months ago, too (cranked them when jacked rather than when on the ground).

Also, know that the springs will settle a little over the next month or two (again, mine did, so I assume yours will too). I ordered Crown replacement springs but I don't remember the part number.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• pnlombardi
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 18, 2015

I didn't install the springs so I will go back to the place that did them. I'm sure that's the issue.

I can't thank you guys enough!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

PL

Comment

• pnlombardi
              230 Tornado
              • Aug 18, 2015

Springs

Hey Joe,

Hope you are well. I have yet to have the mechanic loosen the center bolts of the springs while on the ground.

Curious to know how that would affect the ride height of them. I'm sure the physics of it will make sense when you explain it.

Have a great holiday!!

PL

Comment

• gjeep79
                230 Tornado
                • Jul 10, 2017

Leaf springs

Hi Peter, I was wondering how you like the leaf springs from Team Wagoneer? I was thinking about purchasing. Also do you happen to know the brand it doesn't say on their website. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by pnlombardi
                  Hey Joe,

Hope you are well. I have yet to have the mechanic loosen the center bolts of the springs while on the ground.

Curious to know how that would affect the ride height of them. I'm sure the physics of it will make sense when you explain it.

Have a great holiday!!

PL
                  All is good here. Thanks. Don't know your reference to "center bolts" What I referred to previously were the eye bolts at the spring ends. Car weight will compress the springs some, then tighten them.
                  joe

Comment

Working...
                  X