70's 49 state 360 or 401 v8 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's 49 state 360 or 401 v8 owners

A question for owners of 70's 49 state 360 or 401 V8s. The '77 TSM says that 49 state Wags, Cheros, and Pickups did not come with Fuel Tank Vapor Control Systems, i.e., a charcoal cannister. However, my 49 state '77 Chero with a 401 has one. So I am curious, is the TSM wrong or what. Owners of 49 state V8's from the '70s , do your cars have a charcoal cannister?

I am also a little curious as to whether I actually have a '49 state car or a CA car. How do you know for sure? When I purchased my rig, I was told it was a '49 state car. However, the car has no identifying stickers of any sort other than the vin. The car does not have a cat and actually has an ancient rusty old dual exhaust. I passed the CA smog check with no problem and the previous owner also passed without a problem. So how do the smog check guys know what emissions your car is supposed to have? Is it possible that 20 years ago some PO removed the cat, all CA emmissions identification, and the smog check stations have been fooled ever since?

------------------
    1977 WT Cherokee, 401V8, TH400, PT Quadra-trac.
  • Tom K
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 17, 2000

I have a '78 with 401 bought in NC new (by me) and it does not have a charcoal canister. I suspect yours is a CA vehicle that at some time has made its way outside that state. If you have your state DMV do a title search you may be able to ascertain where the vehicle was originally sold.

I was a parts manager at a Jeep Dealership for many years and still have all the parts books going from '83 back to about '65 or so. No '77 Cherokee was listed with the charcoal canister unless it was a CA model.

Comment

• Langdon
      327 Rambler
      • May 06, 2000

I got a charcoal cannister.

------------------
      Langdon
      '79 Cherokee (PO)S
      360 2bbl, TH400, Q-Trac
      "My heart's in the Jeep, but my a$$ is in debt!"
      Langdon
      Gone but not forgotten:
      '79 Model 17 "Cherokee S" 360/TH400/BW1339/44,44/3.51

'80 Model 17 "Cherokee S" 305 Vortec FI/4L60E/241C/44,20/3.73

Comment

• Veepster
        350 Buick
        • May 14, 2000

I have a 78 chero CA FSJ and it has a canister

------------------
        Peace.............BartG

the Green Flash!
        360 2v, TH400 QT with low
        4" skyjacker Rancho 9000's
        33x12.50 BFG KO's 8" American Racing Baja Rims
        Thorley headers, 3" exhaust, Dyno Max
        Infiniti power leather seats
        50%Luxury Car, 50%Tractor
        Peace.............BartG<br /><br />The Green Flash!<br /><br />360ci Custom 4v TBI<br />TH400, Parttime QT with low, TFI Upgrade<br />Edelbrock Performer Manifold,<br />4\" skyjacker susp & 3\" body lift<br />Rancho 9000\'s 33x12.50 BFG KO\'s <br />8\" American Racing Baja Rims<br />Thorley headers, 3\" exh, Dyno Max<br />Infiniti power leather seats<br />Billet shift knob by Millerluck<br />50%Luxury Car 50%Tractor<br /><a href=\"http://www.teamgodspeed.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.teamgodspeed.com</a>

Comment

My '78 Cherokee is 49-state (it has a decal on the air-cleaner detailing its emissions equipment), and did not come with a charcoal canister. I am contemplating adding one, however, to provide a way to capture fuel-tank vapors and to provide a water-resistant vent for both my fuel-tank and my carb's float-bowl.

------------------
          Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
          * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/

Comment

Thanks for the info. The CA DMV will do a title search for $5. They tell me you just walk in and walk out a few minutes later with a computer print out. So I will find out where the car originally came from.

Are there any pros or cons to removing the cannister? Also are there two versions of the Motorcraft 4350, one with a hook up for the cannister and one without? I will research these issues and find out. I must admit, I enjoy this sort of trivia, but if anyone knows about the carb or has an oppinion about the canister, I would like to hear it.

Thanks,
            Dave

Comment

My 79 Waggy has a canister. Its from New York . I bought it in Nevada.

------------------
              1979 WAGONEER, 360, 4bbl intake (No Carb Yet, still looking for one)
              TFI CONVERSION (EL CHEAPO VERSION), TH400, Q- TRAC. 3" ADD A LEAFS, 31" MUD T/A'S (PEP BOYS CLONES).
              " Go farther, it only breaks on the street"

Comment

• Old Ironsides
                258 I6
                • Jul 06, 2014

My Ca. '77 401 Cherokee had one. My Ca. '76 401 J10 also had one... Until I ripped out all the emissions and registered it in a no smog county (where they only require a certificate on vehicle transfer). My '75 360 J10 (from AZ) does not have one.
                When I had the Cherokee, from what I remember, the Cat is a visual inspection. That was 20 years ago, maybe they are not as strict now as they were then when smog was a new thing and the '70s were only 15 years earlier.
                As long as the vehicle passes the emissions part, perhaps the equipment aspect is overlooked nowadays?
                Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
                Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
                '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
                '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• Auburnmark
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 03, 2015

I am the third owner of a '77 J10 360 born in N.C. Now in Cali. No cat and no canister. Hope that's as it should be. I have been wondering myself. I purchased it in non-op/non running status and will be ready to put on the road soon. Don't want any surprises from the smog folks!
                  Mark

Stock '77 J10 Pioneer LWB
                  360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
                  T-18 4 speed
                  Dana 44's
                  31x10.50x15

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                    Cherokee Outlaw
                    • Jan 10, 2006

Holy old thread revival, Batman!

Both my old '79 Wagoneer (originally from Idaho) and current '79 Cherokee (originally from Arizona) had the same emissions equipment (PCV, EGR, AIR, CAT, and vapor recovery). Neither vehicle has any indication of being a California emissions equipped vehicle.
                    -Jonny B.
                    1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                    7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                    AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                    NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                    F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                    R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                    1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                    1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                    1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

Weird. I'd think that everything would have a charcoal canister by then.

My 1972 manual shows a canister only for 360 A/T Wagoneers, but everything else had a vapor system without a canister that purged directly into the PCV system.

Things don't always follow what the manual says for "49 state". Not all states under that category had the same regulations, so systems were added and removed as necessary to meet.

I have a 1977 Pontiac that was bought new in Georgia but it's emissions system is a combination of 49-state and California because Georgia had their own regulations going.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
                      X