• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daddio
    258 I6
    • Dec 13, 2008

Antique Auto registration-Texas

As of 1/1/13 my Woody qualified to be registeted as an Antique. I had been waiting for this for the last couple of years. Last week I went to the tax office and got my new license plate. Since my old registration was still current, I actually had an $11 credit. As soon as I got home I peeled off the old registration and expired inspection stickers. From now on I won't have to deal with inspections! The registration costs about the same, but its good for 5 years. It wont be much longer until all Wagoneers in Texas qualify.

Its great when the money pit stops sucking as much money.
    '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

• badaboom
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 05, 2001

Fantastic

Good for you, when you have the opportunity this is the way to go.
    As soon as you can apply - apply because things can change but once your in they usually grandfather you in if you are classified as antique collector etc.
    1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• mdcptman
      Jeep Therapist
      • Apr 09, 2010

Originally posted by Daddio
      As of 1/1/13 my Woody qualified to be registeted as an Antique. I had been waiting for this for the last couple of years. Last week I went to the tax office and got my new license plate. Since my old registration was still current, I actually had an $11 credit. As soon as I got home I peeled off the old registration and expired inspection stickers. From now on I won't have to deal with inspections! The registration costs about the same, but its good for 5 years. It wont be much longer until all Wagoneers in Texas qualify.

Its great when the money pit stops sucking as much money.

Wow, I didnt realize that. Mine is 25 too! But I don't know if the rules change for inspection in Loose-ianna....inspection is a cursury thing here...they figure. "Hey, you stopped here, brakes must be good."
      Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      88 Grand Wagoneer
      360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
      Edelbrock 2131
      Holley 600
      Hydroboost
      Hedman headers
      Dual exhaust
      MSD6A, TFI
      Digital Gauges
      Rusty's 2" Lift
      31x10.5 15LT15s
      Quote From Friend's Mom:
      "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by badaboom
        Good for you, when you have the opportunity this is the way to go.
        Not for everyone in every state. Do your homework before committing. A lot of states antique/historical/collector plates are severely restricted use plates As in legal use is parades, too-from car meets etc. Research before spending your money for funny plates.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Daddio
          258 I6
          • Dec 13, 2008

Yes, there are restictions, but my county doesn't require emissions testing beyond a quick visual check, however that will probably change in the near future. Its based on population and we are growing like crazy right now. I felt like I was in a race to beat that change.

There are restrictions, but the Woody isn't my daily driver anyway. The Texas restrictions say, among other details, that you can drive it for exhibition purposes. Thats a really broad category. A Jeep car show might be off road too. There aren't limits on driving hours, amount of miles per year or where you drive (at least in Texas). I figure its worth more than $400 in savings over 5 years.
          Last edited by Daddio; 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM.
          '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

Comment

• mud89
            304 AMC
            • Nov 18, 2009

Here we have inspections every two years, but if the rig is registered as an antique, inspections are only every five years like yours
            To be an antique the truck has to be 30 or more.
            J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Wagn Man
              258 I6
              • Jun 23, 2009

Considering This...

I too live in Texas and am slowly working on my 84 GW. Came across this and it got me thinking it might be the way to go once its roadworthy again. Do you have any information you can provide, or links to get info from. Any troubles you might have experienced would be great. Thank you in advance.
              78 Chero NT..... nickname "Crash"
              84 GW 401, Rhino Grille
              03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD My DD/Tow Rig

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

LOL

I highly suggest you read before you proceed.
                Information on obtaining Texas license plates and placards from the DOT.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• badaboom
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 05, 2001

I hear you TX

Antique plates are for vehicles at least 25 years old that are used strictly for antique exhibitions, parades, and related activities. (Occasional trips to the repair shop are permitted.)

Classic plates are also for vehicles that are at least 25 years old. However, vehicles with these plates may be used for routine transportation.
                  1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• j20brett
                    360 AMC
                    • Jul 05, 2006

You may apply for Antique license plates for your motor vehicle if it is at least 25 years old and a collector's item. The motor vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Motor vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or advertising. The motor vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Direct from DMV website.

The part about driving to and from a location for maintenance is particularly vague and would most likely work if you were to be questioned.

I personally antiqued mine 2 years ago and have never had a problem. So long as you arent doing anything dumb, i dont think you will be hassled.
                    Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Whtshos
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 21, 2011

routine maintenance
                      If only we could get it to that point.
                      I have my 27T registered as antique. Have never had any questions and it was my DD for almost a year. Yes, I was flexing the laws a bit, but never a question. If JOHNNY BE GOOD really wanted to pull you over due to regular travel patterns of yours, he would have every right to start digging into the validity of your registration.
                      Just do the right thing and dont forget KARMA.
                      Its only money............
                      82" J10 Honcho
                      . .......==,---,
                      _____l_,\____\,__
                      l_(--)-l__l---0llllllll0
                      _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)_
                      79" Chief W/T 'TANK'

. ,=====,---,
                      //___/l_,\____\,__
                      l_-----l__l---0llllllll0
                      _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)_

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

Yeah Thanks

But No Thanks

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
                        X