• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnowShoe
    350 Buick
    • Feb 24, 2008

sj door window conversion

I would like to convert my door window to a single glass with out the stock vent window. I have heard this has been done before,but I can't find the info on this modification.
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

It won't be possible to lower the door glass fully, if at all with a full size pane of glass in there.
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• TexasJ10
      360 AMC
      • Jan 03, 2002

Is there something that would interfere inside the door?

What if a small triangle was left in the corner to attach a rear view mirror like later model cars. I wouldn't mind eliminating the vent window either.
      * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
      * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
      . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
      * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

It was done. Probably in one of the build threads but I can't remember which.

I asked about it so maybe I can find it by searching my posts.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
          Cherokee Outlaw
          • Jan 10, 2006

Sonoraed's Fast Eddie J-10 restomod build on FSJN has the vent windows deleted I believe.
          -Jonny B.
          1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
          7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
          AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
          NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
          F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
          R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
          1979 Wagoneer - Sold
          1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• KaiserMan
            I got the Willys....
            • Jun 21, 2005

I believe there are braces that would get in the way. Not to mention the vent window frame is part of the window tract.
            Thomas Russell
            1971 Gladiator

Comment

• Mustang Shooter
              232 I6
              • Apr 20, 2012

I redid seals and channels in my 84 tissue summer, i dont think there is any bracing in the door and the vertical passes through an unobstructed opening. If anyone has their doors gutted right now, maybe they can check and verify.

Street rodders do this all the time.
              You would need to use a vertical that would set below the door opening and mount it toward the front of the door.
              You would also need a universal window channel to install up through the door, across the top, down the angle and finally back into the door.
              You will need to make a pattern for the new glass and have new glass cut, and then sent to be tempered.
              Talk to your local glass shop about what you want to do. Mine have made patterns for a few projects before and knew where to make fit adjustments. Make sure they use the right thickness of glass, I had some cut once that was the next thickness higher and it cracked the second time the door was shut.
              You may also need to use a street rod custom windows regulator to move the support for the center of the glass
              Hope some of that helps

Comment

• SnowShoe
                350 Buick
                • Feb 24, 2008

If I remember correctly this has been done before. I believe a small triangle has to be left out of to 1 piece glass to clear the hinges in the door. I know there are no braces in the door that would interfere (I have been in a number doors to know that). Some mods may be required to the door handle link between the inside and outside door handle.

I believe the conversion has been performed on FSJ in some other country like Australia, Iceland, Greenland ?

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

I remember reading something as well.
                  Maybe popular with south american FSJ'ers?
                  I'd be interested in seeing something as well.
                  When I had a pair of doors laying around it looked do-able, but I never went past thinking about it.
                  Should have though.
                  Tony
                  88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• KaiserMan
                    I got the Willys....
                    • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by SnowShoe
                    believe a small triangle has to be left out of to 1 piece glass to clear the hinges in the door.
                    That's what I was thinking of. I knew there was something toward the front of the door that would interfere with a full length glass pane.

Seems like a lot of work to remove a useful feature.
                    Thomas Russell
                    1971 Gladiator

Comment

• SnowShoe
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 24, 2008

Originally posted by babywag
                      I remember reading something as well.
                      Maybe popular with south american FSJ'ers?
                      I'd be interested in seeing something as well.
                      When I had a pair of doors laying around it looked do-able, but I never went past thinking about it.
                      Should have though.
                      Yes Baby, the window channel continues above the vent window (same as channel window weather strip used in the original door glass). I have a pair of doors that I removed the vent widow exposing this channel.

This does not look like a difficult mod. I am trying to reach FSJ'ers in other country's to find where this has been done. Some where I know I read about Jeep'ers who have successfully made this mod.

Comment

• SnowShoe
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 24, 2008

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                        That's what I was thinking of. I knew there was something toward the front of the door that would interfere with a full length glass pane.

Seems like a lot of work to remove a useful feature.
                        I think this would update the appearance for my resto mod project,
                        after all...new vehicles haven't used vent windows for a long time...must be a reason they don't have them any more...maybe more security, less weather stripping, fewer parts, cleaner design, fewer leak points....maybe more

Comment

• KaiserMan
                          I got the Willys....
                          • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by SnowShoe
                          I think this would update the appearance for my resto mod project,
                          after all...new vehicles haven't used vent windows for a long time...must be a reason they don't have them any more...maybe more security, less weather stripping, fewer parts, cleaner design, fewer leak points....maybe more
                          Cost being the biggest one.

I just can't imagine a FSJ with out it. Seems like it would be very odd looking and detract from the classic good looks.

But to each their own I guess. Just make sure you have good if you get hot summers, those vent windows make a huge difference.
                          Thomas Russell
                          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• ProTouring442
                            327 Rambler
                            • Mar 15, 2011

Cars built without vent windows use some form of flow-through ventilation. The blower motor is usually always on low (even with the system turned "off") pulling in fresh air and venting it through hidden vents (usually in the door jambs, or hidden under panels like the rear bumper).
                            You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

I thought about it due to the hilarious stock mirrors, a mod like this would allow finding/using a much better mirror.
                              I cannot recall ever even using the wing windows on any jeep I've owned.
                              Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X