• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88truckdudeiscrazy
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 18, 2004

Front D60 driveshaft off

So I put a set of Dana 60's from a 1979 Ford under my 1980 Cherokee. SOA and custom leafs up front. I had originally planned on pulling my engine/trans/t-case but later found a smoking deal on a TBI system.

So I decided to keep the engine and stuff. Once I had the jeep level, I realized my front driveshaft was going to be way off. My front pinion was left stock.

Looks like I either have to remove the front axle and cut the knuckles off and re-adjust the angle to get the pinion pointed more toward the t-case, or get an expensive double cardan (sp?) u joint drive shaft.

I have enought lift to clear my 40" tires so its up pretty high, no trimming either.

any thoughts or suggestions?
    1980 Cherokee
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

First, congrats on the HP 60, rare as hens teeth in my area.

I dont know first hand how the Ford axles are set up, but check your caster angle on the knuckles first.
    With the GM D60 my caster and pinion where both off, luckily in the same direction. If this is the case you will want to rotate the whole axle, not just the knuckles or center section.

The fix.......
    Again not 100% on the Ford version, but the GM/Dodge have the pumpkin side perch milled into the casting, so no cutting the perches and relocating that way. At least not without a bunch of hassle and $$$.

Best way $$ wise and ease is shims, and I hate shims.
    That said WFO sells STEEL shims made to be bolted into your spring pack. Will require a new center bolt, but they should be a lot harder to spit out than the ones that have a hole and pin to place between there and rely on the U-bolts to keep everything together.

These...

Hope that helps,

Jim
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

Most FSJs have a double cardan front.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• BC FSJ
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 08, 2007

I have a similar setup to yours with a 79 HP Ford dana 60. I did a SOA with factory front leafs and my castor angle is at positive 4 degrees. One thing i did to the leafs was add an extra main leaf with cut ends to support the existing main leafs. My drive shaft angle is steep also....25 degrees at the t-case output at ride height. what tranny and t-case are you running? and what Angles are you getting into?

It didn't help putting my NP205 flush to the bottom of the frame rails but i have a proper drivetrain slope that way..... I hope(5 degrees).
        What I'm thinking of doing is reversing the front leaf springs to lengthen the drive shaft and shim to the proper castor angle if necessary. Might also lower the front a 1/2" and hopefully reduce the drive shaft angle with both of these combined.
        1980 Cherokee Chief W/T: 360, NP435, NP205, 60's, SOA, SF

Comment

run shims. I still run them and have had zero issues and I don't run a double CV. shims are like $30 maybe.
          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
          Originally posted by johnny019
          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• 88truckdudeiscrazy
            230 Tornado
            • Nov 18, 2004

Sorry guys, forgot I posted this.

I have the stock 360/727/D20 drivetrain. I am bringing the jeep home from the shop tomorrow and will measure the angles.

The shop suggested shims but we both thought the caster might be pushed off too much.

Will update tomorrow.
            1980 Cherokee

Comment

• j20brett
              360 AMC
              • Jul 05, 2006

Edit: Since this is a build, im linking my old threads here also. Hood_louvers (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89324) Bumper_Build (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=68406) Wheelbase_Shortened (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97133) Flatbed_Fab (http://www.ifsja

See my build thread above. soa with 2.5" rancho lift springs flipped around to push front forward. With the slider box setup my caster anlge was 6 deg, i put in 2 deg shims to help with the angle and it looks like it wont be too bad when its all said and done.
              Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
              X